Movies Seen in 2011

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Starbreaker, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

20. Notorious (B-)
    21. In a Lonely Place (A)

In a Lonely Place: Bogart is better known for the more upbeat Casablanca, but he shines here, as a bitter Hollywood screenwriter with an inclination for violent outbursts. After he invites a young girl over to his apartment to summarize a book he's too burnt out to read, she winds up dead, and the police (which include an old war buddy who he hasn't seen in years) make him the prime suspect. Bogie didn't do it, of course, but the ultimate revelation of the film implies he could very well have murdered someone--he almost kills his fiancée in a jealous rage. Broken by the revelation that she was so afraid of him that she tried to secretly leave, Bogie slinks back to his apartment, the news that his screenplay is a hit and he has finally been acquitted of the murder doing little to brighten his disposition. A great performance in a great movie. I'm glad I caught it in 35mm, too--it was a pristine print and the movie, a black & white picture in the film noir style, had a wonderful sense of the visual.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - C-
    2. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) - A
    3. Black Swan (2010) - A+
    4. The Social Network (2010) - A
    5. Cannibal! The Musical (1996) - B
    6. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009) - B
    7. Winter's Bone (2010) - C+
    8. The Fighter (2010) - B

Well, this is Movie number 8 in the Best picture films nominated for Oscar I've seen this year. It was a pretty good film, even though I kept flashing back to Rocky a lot. Actually, this film doesn't really have to do with Boxing but more on keeping a family together through difficult times in which Boxing is the focus. I really liked Bale's character and it was nice to see Amy Adams in a different role rather than the ditzy "Enchanted" roles she's been in. I wouldn't say this film will win Best Picture, but it was still quite good.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

22. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt [1956] (D+)

Fritz Lang's final American-made feature film is mostly well-shot, and the performances are acceptable, but the plotting is ludicrous. Novelist Tom Garrett (Dana Andrews) and newspaperman Austin Spencer (Sidney Blackmer) conspire to frame Garrett for a crime he didn't commit. They'll collect all the evidence, plant it (all the while documenting the planting of the evidence), let the whole affair run on through until there's a conviction, and then release the truth. Somehow they think this will put an end to capital punishment. It seems more likely that it will end with both characters behind bars for wasting the court's time.

Of course, there's twists--at 80 minutes, the film is barely feature-length, so something has to keep it going. First, Spencer is killed in a car accident that is rather poorly staged by Lang, eliciting laughter in more than one member of the audience at the screening I attended. Of course, his car erupts in flames, destroying the photographic evidence exonerating Garrett.

Somehow, though, Spencer left a letter in his will (if only he left some photographs, too) just in case. It's enough to get Garrett off the hook (apparently a letter with a few dates in it from the accused's future father-in-law is enough to get the governor to issue a pardon--no, it doesn't make sense). And, also rather conveniently, it doesn't come right away when Spencer dies but takes it time. One would think he'd have his chief executor put it at the top of his lift--Garrett is on death row, after all. But, again, a feature-length run time is needed.

And then in the final reel comes the ultimate twist (not much of a twist since I had seen the awful 2009 remake of this film a year ago). Garrett actually committed the murder! He goes to the chair after all! He committed a murder in which there was no evidence leading to him and he wasn't even a suspect--and he thought it was a good idea to convince the police he was guilty of it? It's even more stupid than it sounds, and, in the end, the whole film comes crashing down because of it. It's a shame Lang's career came to this in the United States.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

1. The Fighter: B-
    2. Batman(90's saga): A-,B-,C-,D
    3. Star Wars OT-Special Edition: B+, A, B
    4. The Green Hornet: B
    5. True Grit(1969): C+
    6. Lord of the Rings saga: (A,A,A)
    7. The Machinist: A-
    8. Season of the Witch: B
    9. Frozen: A-
    10. Due Date: B+
    11. Planet of the Apes(2001): B-
    12. Faster: C

This Dwayne Johnson revenge flick also has Carl Gugino, Maggie Grace, Moon Bloodgood, Jennifer Carpenter, Adewale(from Lost) and Billy Bob Thornton. It isn't a bad film, doesn't commit anything so horrible to make it less than a 'C' grade. However, it also doesn't do anything of merit to cause me to grade it above 'C'.

Yeah, for the $1.50 theater.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

1. From Russia with Love (C)
    2. Delicatessen (A)
    3. Goldfinger (B)
    4. Coraline (A)
    5. Toy Story 3 (A+)
    6. Over the Hedge (B)
    7. The Fighter (A-)

The Fighter

Despite not being a fan of the sport, I've found myself enjoying such boxing films as Cinderella Man and Million Dollar Baby (but not any of the Rocky films), and now The Fighter. For me, the major draw to this film is the stars: Bale, Wahlberg, Adams and particularly Leo. All four provide incredible performances with Bale and Leo being especially chameleonlike. I don't see Bruce Wayne, Patrick Bateman, Kay Howard or Toni Bernette. I see Dicky Eklund and Alice Ward, two characters who are very different from anything I've seen Bale and Howard play before.

Despite this, I still found myself much more interested Micky Ward's story than Dicky's and this is credit to both Wahlberg's performance and the excellent script. Reading up on the film after watching it, I was both amazed and impressed by the level of dedication that Wahlberg put into the role, training for four years while working on six other films, invited both brothers to live with him to get into character, and even refused a stunt double in order to take the actual punches. A lot of people have and will continue to praise Bale's weight lost method acting, but let's not overlook the incredible work Wahlberg also put into the film.

6. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of people have criticized Wahlberg a lot in the past (The whole Marky Mark thing and Planet of the Apes being clear examples) but I felt the same way you did EMH regarding the character. Bale's getting all the awards, but Wahlberg was terrific in this movie and reading what you wrote regarding his training and bringing in the real life brothers gave me a further appreciation for the film. I still don't think it's best picture material, but it was still a very good film. Also liked the cameo of the two brothers at the end.

1. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - C-
    2. Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010) - A
    3. Black Swan (2010) - A+
    4. The Social Network (2010) - A
    5. Cannibal! The Musical (1996) - B
    6. Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009) - B
    7. Winter's Bone (2010) - C+
    8. The Kids are All Right (2010) - A

I really really enjoyed this movie. It felt like the Juno of 2010, in that while it was a comedy, it was subtle and not in your face like some comedies tend to be. Bennig and Moore were terrific in their roles and I liked the Kids as well, especially the girl. There were some issues in the film that were touched on really well, but it's center, a normal family meeting their sperm donor and things get messed up, stayed as the crux of the film as to not pound our heads in with those issues. I actually could see this film as a Dark horse, meaning a film that might get up there to win Best Picture even though no one is giving it any love.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief - HBO
    Tron Legacy 3D - theater
    Clash of the Titans (2010) - HBO on Demand
    Take Me Home Tonight - free screenin'
    Sanctum - free screenin'
    The Green Hornet - free screenin'
    Green Zone - HBO
    Fantastic Mr. Fox - HBO

Caught the stop motion animated movie this afternoon, watched it for the first time ever. I thought it was an interestin' animated style, but didn't care much for the story.

Considerin' its from the same folks who made Rushmore & The Royal Tenanbaums, not too suprisin' I didn't care for it.

Still, at least it was free, since I don't pay the cable bill here.

8. The Nth Doctor

1. From Russia with Love (C)
    2. Delicatessen (A)
    3. Goldfinger (B)
    4. Coraline (A)
    5. Toy Story 3 (A+)
    6. Over the Hedge (B)
    7. The Fighter (A-)
    8. The King's Speech (A+)

The King's Speech

What can I say that hasn't already been said? The King's Speech is a beautifully scripted film that is quite simply Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush's show. Without these two incredible actors working off each other to tell this remarkable story, I can't imagine this film being quite as good. My only regret is Firth and his Pride & Prejudice co-star, Jennifer Ehle, couldn't share a longer scene but I realize it wouldn't really work considering their two roles.

9. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
    Black Swan (9)
    Godkiller (6)
    Kamui (4)
    Loups=Garous (8)
    The Mechanic (2011) (9)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
    Musashi Miyamoto (6)
    Trigun: Badlands Rumble (8)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

No Strings Attached- C

I'm probably too generous

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Love and Other Drugs" C I enjoyed the film...Anne Hathaway was charming and warm. Jake Gyhenhall was good as well. I watched it mostly for the acting performances which I heard were good. The movie it's self was average at best.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightening Thief - HBO
    Tron Legacy 3D - theater
    Clash of the Titans (2010) - HBO on Demand
    Take Me Home Tonight - free screenin'
    Sanctum - free screenin'
    The Green Hornet - free screenin'
    Green Zone - HBO
    Fantastic Mr. Fox - HBO
    True Grit (1969) - AMC

DVR'ed the original John Wayne version a couple of weeks ago, finally watched it last night...and maybe its just me, or because I saw the Jeff Bridges version first, but I like the new one better.

And I kind of get why my dad would never rent the old one, even though he loved John Wayne movies.

13. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

1. Alien 3 (assembly cut) - B
    2. Let the Right One In - A
    3. Inception - B.
    4. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - B+
    5. Lilo and Stitch - A

6. Despicable Me - B. Cute movie with an entertaining premise but not as nuanced or as well animated as Pixar's latest efforts. Worth seeing despite that disclaimer.

7. Forbidden Planet - B+. Love the retro look to this film. It's probably the height of 1950s science fiction aesthetics. Some of the perspective tricks and creature effects are still pretty impressive today. The movie looks great on it's Blu-ray transfer. A classic.

8. Clerks - B. Still funny after these years but not as relevant to my situation as it was back then. As a DIY project it really is an outstanding piece of work.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw No Strings Attached. It needed more naked Natalie Portman, and less naked Ashton Kutcher.

15. The Nth Doctor

At the risk of sounding like a prude, but just how much naked Natalie Portman is there?

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we mean naked Natalie Portman or implied nudity via strategically paced bed sheets etc..?

17. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:

Arashi no Yoru ni (One Stormy Night) (7)
    Black Swan (9)
    Broken Blade 3: The Mark of the Assassin's Dagger (9)
    Godkiller (6)
    Kamui (4)
    Loups=Garous (8)
    The Mechanic (2011) (9)
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakeening of the Trailblazer (8)
    Munto: The Movie (6)
    Musashi Miyamoto (6)
    Trigun: Badlands Rumble (8)

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Admittedly not much.

19. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

1. True Grit (2010)
    2. Toy Story 3 (2010) [A]
    3. Ghost Rider (2007) [D]
    4. Elektra (2005) [F]
    Enjoyed this a lot. Had the typical Coen Brothers humor that I really like. The main cast is hit or miss with me. Jeff Bridges and the young lady who played Maddie were outstanding while Matt Damon was much, much weaker in comparison. Overall a very solid movie.

Toy Story 3
    I. Loved. This. Simply beautiful. It's rare to find a sequel that can outperform the original and even more rare to find a sequel that outdoes the sequel. However, Toy Story 3 manages to pull it off extremely well. I loved everything about this. The ending brought me to tears.

Ghost Rider
    All the parts in which Johnny becomes Ghost Rider, I liked. Other than that, there wasn't much to like about it.

Elektra
    I didn't think this was "bad" so to speak, just exceptionally boring with a bland plot and absolutely no character development.

20. The Nth Doctor

And there goes any motivation I had in seeing that movie.