The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was me, & someone else pointed out that this might be a reason to not trust the guy. Who could be that stupid & still be alive a year later. There could've been a group waiting to harm them all.

I don't look on the ending as grimly as it came off though. I think picking up the dead guy's pack was a symbolic gesture... recognizing that he was indeed someone who needed help, & they didn't give it. Something they all have to live with, & it's a lesson learned, as was the whole episode. Shutting people out all the time can lead to worse circumstances than letting some in.

I actually think they might not be as cold about stuff like that from now on. After all, it's been a year. How long should it be before you come to terms with the fact that the people left alive are such for a reason, & it's probably best that you find out about them one way or the other?

2. Whettestone

Whettestone Captain Captain

"CLEAR" SUCKED

"Clear" SUCKED.

I don't understand people claiming "Clear" was "the best episode yet". It was so full of problems.

Rick and Michonne essentially murdered the Hitchhiker. Michonne's ugly cat was more important that that man's life. And do you believe you will ever see that crap cat again?

They already had baby cribs at the daycare center where Darryl and Maggie got the baby formula the day the baby was born. They chose not to get one when they were already there (probably more than once) and was closer to the prison.

Morgan wanted to clear the entire world of Walkers, yet kept the local Grille restaurant one block away fully occupied with 10 Walkers and with an unlocked door? The back door was unlocked too, as that's how Michonne went back in to get her gay cat statue which she just whipped out of nowhere.

Didn't Merle say the Governor probably had snipers on every road out of the prison to pluck them off when they tried to leave?

They go all that way to find the police station locker room empty, but they don't bother to look in the one dozen bullet boxes scattered all over the floor? Or the desk drawers?

The hitchhiker is carrying a cooking skillet hanging off his backpack? Doesn't that indicate he was carrying food which they said at the prison they were running out of the previous episode? I saw it. The three of them didn't?

How could they be running out of food at the prison when they had wall-to-wall shelves full of food just one month earlier?

Morgan murdered innocent people to hoard their guns. Merle murders. The Governor murders. Michonne murders. Shane murders. Rick murders. Maggie murdered Hayley the teenage girl when they rescued Darryl and Merle from the Arena. Carl shoots Morgan now. You're running out of characters to like.

They said they need all the guns at the police station but appear to only take one bag from Morgan.

Michonne said Carl needed a box to carry the crib so she went with them, then they carried the crib back without a box. They said they were running out of baby formula. They get the crib, but not any baby formula which was vital? As the cop, Rick didn't know a single person in the town who had a baby so they can search the house?

Unless the Axe trap was spring loaded with great pressure, just having it fall would probably only cut someone and pushed them down the stairs, yet it was covered with blood deep to the handle.

The axe was covered with bright red blood, yet anybody who ever removed an old band-aid knows old blood turns brick-red or brown. I still can't believe the FX guys keep doing "bright red" old blood. It's practically fluorescent.

Why was the axe trap all bloody but the welcome mat trap wasn't? Why didn't Rick toss the welcome matt aside so Carl wouldn't fall into it and so they wouldn't forget. Why didn't they trip the axe trap after they passed it so they wouldn't forget? How did Morgan manage to dig a square hole into the concrete sidewalk to lay the welcome mat trap with spikes?

Rick and Michonne saw the live birds in the cages in the street traps. They KNEW someone was there feeding them. They KNEW the street was occupied by a crazy person. They went in anyway.

It appears the hitchhiker may have come from the car accident, as the bodies they saw in the cars looked fresh. Which means the hitchhiker would know they just went through a town, but he goes forward to uncertainty. He had to have passed through the town anyway even if he came from elsewhere. Why didn't he grab a car from the town? And why didn't Morgan kill the hitchhiker for his backpack when he passed through? That's what Morgan does now isn't it?

Michonne had a crossbow when they loaded the car at the end (probably for Darryl). I wished they showed her picking it up, because now Darryl will have TWO crossbows and it will confuse people.

When Morgan was firing on them from the rooftop, did he tell them to drop their guns and their.... shoes?

How did Michonne teleport in and out of buildings and rooftops?

I still don't understand why they aren't plucking off the Walkers through the prison fence with their sword and knives. Given time, they would take out half of them without a shot fired.

Morgan said he and his son drove for days and/or weeks to Atlanta. But he said his son was killed by his Walker Wife when they were in a house. This means Morgan took off on the road to Atlanta... for days and/or weeks... and then turned around and went back to the town again. Otherwise it means his Walker Wife (Stalker Wife) followed them on foot to Atlanta.

What are the odds that it was Morgan's Walker-Stalker Wife would find their son? Didn't Morgan bother to close the door to the houses they were searching?

Did Morgan say he didn't turn on the walky talky for days? And you blame Rick for not being there when you finally bother to listen - when you knew Rick would have been in a city hours away?

Rick knew he shot that cop Walker in the first episode outside the police station through the fence. He didn't bother to look to see if the body was still their with bullets and a gun?

Rick knew the Bars had guns behind the counters. I thought of that back in season two when Rick and Glenn followed Hershel to the bar where Rick had the shootout with those two guys and ended up with Randall. Even then they never looked behind the bar. Every movie that has a bar fight has a bar owner with his gun.

Rick found out from Morgan's map that his house burned down. But every cop would have guns and/or bullets. What about Shane's house? Rick knew that Walker Cop through the fence in Episode One was turned so probably never made it back to his own house. All Rick needed to do was get a phone book. He knew the names of his co-workers.

Rick also said he signed the gun permits for the Bar Owners. Which means you have a whole list of Gun Owners in that Police Station. Go get it. It would also have their addresses and what types of guns and ammunition you're looking for.

Morgan scrawled on the wall a bunch of names of people who turned. So Morgan was with other people in this town this whole time who slowly got wiped out? And you don't mention this? If Morgan was alone this whole time, how did he know the people who got turned and where they turned?

There would be pictures of Carl's mother in their grandparents house. Both of them. They probably didn't live there but they did live somewhere.

I'm sure some of these could be explained. I'm also sure there are more problems with this episode I haven't covered yet. "Clear" had a LOT of problems. And after a year away from the TrekBBS, I came back just to vent this.

3. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

90% of those are just silly or don't matter in the sligtest . Seriously, he had afrying pan sohe must have had food? Do people throw out the frying pan when they need groceries?

4. Mojochi

Honestly, I think they got lucky on casting, because apart from needing a bath & haircut the kid don't look that much different to me. Certainly something they could pass off as being a year's worth of growth & harsh living conditions. I do agree that a leap forward is needed for him to remain in the cast next season though

[​IMG]

5. wissaboo

or we could just ignore it and quit nitpicking. It's the nature of tv. Whaddya gonna do?

6. Whettestone

Who drags a frying pan around during the zombie apocalypse unless you're using it. It was either his (out-of reach) weapon, or HE HAD FOOD (or can hunt food like Daryl) that needed to be cooked.

Oh, and Daryl's a Mary Sue. He can do everything and everybody loves him.

7. wissaboo

yeah, you are totally right. He couldn't be carrying it around in case he found food. And he totally would have had enough food in that backpack for then all to go back to the prison with it and save the day.

8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Most of them can also be easily explained.

9. wissaboo

or weren't even in the episode :rofl:

10. Mojochi

But still, I'm just saying, it's not like the kid sprouted six inches & has a 5 O'clock shadow now, unlike the kid who played Morgan's son in the pilot. A change like that you might want to explain away

[​IMG]

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like that they even took a spare crossbow for Daryl with them.

12. Whettestone

That's right. Just keep ignoring the problems and pretending they don't exist while laughing them off to justify not having to try to explain them.

13. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm not huge on The Walking Dead but last night's episode was phenomenal. Anyone can find flaws or plot holes in anything so finding some in last night's episode means next to nothing.

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Cars drained of gas by looters with their own vehicles? Parked for so long without attention that there are too many problems to make it function?

15. James T. Vader

James T. Vader Lieutenant

Maybe he's a fan of Sam Gamgee

16. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Uh, no justification is needed. No one has to try explaining them if they don't want. Who says otherwise? It's not like the world is going to end.

Perhaps I should rephrase that.

17. wissaboo

I've noticed rick's boots sometimes look like they've been tied by a right handed person. And sometimes like a left.

WHICH IS IT???!!!!!

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think (HOPE) that the story also showed how when they rod einto town, all of them were hardened to other people. But when they left, they became MORE human, and might have stopped. But like Morgan, they learned this lesson too late. Someone had to die before Morgan could learn to "kill" a loved one. For the group, someone had to die for them to now have a heart and pick up lonely strangers.

Definitely for me...but he also had OTHER names that sad people had turned...could they have been survvors that eventually didn't make t?

Michonne is human -- sahe has one weakness -- poor interior decorating tastes!

well, maybe the ones that were there were either out of gas, crashed, didn't knowhow to suction gas, or had dead bodies in them that he wans't willing to touch?

Since they never spent more than 5 seconds withhim, we have no idea what his story is.

Maybe his group crashed, and he was suddenly all alone, and didn't know what to do (i.e. he wasn't the leader).

Also, was he the one that made the sign for Elsie about Stone Mountain (who had been turned)?

I am slightly hopeful that the ending gives Morgan a chance to connect with Rick in the future. Can anyone give a relatively spoiler-free comparison to the comics..I know Morgan returns to the story, but how different is it then today's episode?

19. wissaboo

I think one of the lessons of the episode was that things have changed, you have to let go of the sentimentality from the past. Something that was really a struggle last season is now obvious. Morgan's son died because of sentimentality, Carl almost died to hold on to the past. If they had picked up that hitchhiker they would have died. There was obviously something wrong about that guy. And even in the real world you might not pick him up.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  20. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Re: "CLEAR" SUCKED

No one picks up hitchhikers now. Who would do so after the apocalypse? It's not safe for the hitchhiker, either. Any other group might've stopped for him just to kill him for his meager supplies. At least Michonne and Rick left him alone.

So? It's not as if Morgan is entirely rational anymore. He's functional, but not exactly in his right mind.

Merle was wrong.

Meh, they were probably empty anyway.

They have, what, a dozen or so people to feed, over one month. That's a lot of food. One person-year of food would last them about one month. Wouldn't you want to get more before you're completely out?

Who is "innocent" in the world anymore? Why should anyone in the story be "likable"?

"Appear" being the operative word. Likely the car is stuffed with weapons and ammo.

Looks like they took a display model of a crib, rather than a box. And who's to say there was any formula left in the store? Any formula taken was probably just not seen or mentioned.

So, maybe it was spring-loaded?

Maybe it was recently used? Maybe there was a fresh walker or even a bandit that got tripped up by it?

Once they're past the booby traps, they're protected by them, too. Why dismantle as perfectly useful system of traps?

Yeah, because they wanted supplies.

Your speculation is reasonable, but there are a dozen equally reasonable alternatives to explain the hitchhiker's situation.

No.

She's a ninja.

After a year, wouldn't most supplies in houses be gone? Rick's group isn't the only one out there. Besides, most houses would be infested with walkers now. How long should they have spent looking for weapons?

The picture of the Grimes family was the only one in reach, the only one Carl knew was still around, and very probably the only left in existence. Perhaps one at a grandparents house? That could be on the other side of the country, if they were even still alive before the apocalypse.