Female uniforms in Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by 77sevenseven, Jun 5, 2009.

1. 77sevenseven

77sevenseven Ensign Red Shirt

Ok this is my first post so go easy lol!

So it seams that in the Kelvin time male and female officers all wore the same uniform.

In the later years (as depicted onboard enterprise) a lot of women wore the mini skirt uniform. This uniform differs from the TOS female uniform in that is is has no sleaves. The problem with this is that the rank "rings" that you see on all of the male officers is not present. :confused: So there is no way to tell a female officers rank. I did see some females with the male version of the uniforms though!

Does anyone else think that this was a bit mad? I mean I would be a bit miffed If I were a female officer and no one could tell if I were a commander or a ensign!

Anyone agree?? Or have I missed something??

2. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, the producers have stated that the KElvin is supposed to represent TOS and the Enterprise etc represents 'New Ultra modern Starfleet'.

Im guessing it was a clever decision on the costume departments part to dress the female Kelvin officers as, in The Cage (original pilot) the female officers wore the same tops and trousers as the male officers, the only difference being the collars of the female officers. Roddenberrys idea of untiy and equallity.

In TOS, the second pilot ep, Where no Mna has Gone Before, the female officers again wore the same as the male officers. It was the Corbomite Manouver that introduced Theiss's classic mini skirt uniforms. They were in TOS since then.

So you can look at it that way. The Kelvin is The Cage, the Enterprise is TOS.

On a costuming level anyway.

3. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it was because the women went "I am not wearing layers on a starship that's so frakkin' hot because of all the lens flare! You want me to smell pretty... I'm wearing short sleeves and a shorter skirt. And if you dare look at my undies, I'll beat you."

To which the guys were like "No problem. :D "Wear all the short skirts you want."

4. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

No, wait; the Kelvin was supposed to be "Forbidden Planet" -- i.e., before TOS. And the 1701 was TOS. Or?

P.S. Welcome 77sevenseven! :)

5. Royal Fizzbin

Royal Fizzbin Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree with the OP about the female miniskirt variant not having rank insignia. That doesn't make sense to me.

Or maybe the rank insignia stripes are on the underwear, and the skirts are so short so the wearer's rank can be more readily visible. ;)

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I believe the question's been raised before, but I don't think we've found a definite answer yet.

7. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

I think we just did:
    :bolian:

8. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's still a step up for Troi's "uniform".

Though it's definitely nonsensical to not be able to tell a person's rank from their uniform.

9. 77sevenseven

Cheers guys, Yeah I just think it's a bit odd.

What did you guys think of the uniforms? I really liked the Kelvin uniforms however I guess they were a bit tight!

Liked the new spin on the TOS uniforms (except the annoying no rank issue on them mini skirts).

Would have been funny to see some of the guys in the mini skirts like they did on season one of TNG lol!

10. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

That is a good question, they should have some way of displaying rank. I actually don't get the short sleeves anyway; Or the long skirts. ;)

And welcome aboard.

11. 77sevenseven

Thanks Fleet Captain! :techman:

12. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw female officers wearing a version of the male uniform as well, in addition to the miniskirt uniform.

Uhura just opted for the latter because she wanted to look hot. :techman:

13. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll take that argument to be canon! If you got it, you should flaunt it.

I think Kirk needs a short-sleeve version :P Or maybe an uber deep V hehe.

14. 77sevenseven

Ha ha ha i'm thinking you would like this movie better if it was given an R18 certificate!

15. mythicdove

mythicdove Commander Red Shirt

Did anyone see any of the ladies wear a man's style uniform in the new movie? I didn't catch any, but there could have been.

16. miniglik

miniglik Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There are definitely women with pants on (like when Kirk is running to find Uhura, you see them in the background), but I can't remember if they have the shorter sleeved tops.

17. 77sevenseven

I can confirm seeing women in both the red and the gold men style uniform with sleeves including rank insignia.

18. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I like what he's wearing in your ava :devil:

19. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I did see women wearing pants. Jeri needs to confirm this in her 14th viewing (if she hasn't already) ;)

20. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

There were women in this film? :lol: We did go last evening, so it will be probably midweek before I can notice the Enterprise uniforms.

I really liked the Kelvin uniforms. I just love that moment when Captain Robau is coming up the stairs on his way to the shuttle bay, when a female crewmember snaps to attention to the side of him. She was in pants.

(Right after that, another crew member runs across a gangway to snap to attention as Captain Robau passes, too. It was just awesome. I have a crush on Captain Robau anyway.)