Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

True, and with some very big restrictions on gameplay overall. But spending as little as 5 bucks already lifts some of those permanently (buying a game copy from a bargain bin is enough) and playing through all 8 PvE storyline takes literally months!
    So even a F2Per will never be out of stuf to do for up to a year. if you are still on it by then and hooked it is even likely you will have subbed by then.

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Was able to get on this weekend and do a mission and some other things with the daughter. That was fun.

Didn't have time to test anything on S7 yet. Update was initially a 1.2GB patch. Apparently that got corrupted then it went to a 3.9GB patch and that errored out at the end and went back to a 1.2GB patch. So I have it, but haven't looked at it yet.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Meh, the possibility of 1440 dilithium per fleet action kind of negates any annoyance I have with the dilithium changes.

4. Timelord Victorious

If it were solely for having an easy source for dilithium I'd agree. grind whatever mindless task is, however, not enough.
    I want to have a tiny bit of fun while doing that.
    And I want it to be social at teh same time.

Cryptic destroyed that possibility for now.

It's either advance (which will never end by the way, they will always introduce twice as many resource sinks than you can fill) or be a social player who has fun but only until it stops fun because he is falling behind... great choice...

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

yeah, it's not that you can't get DIL (or Omega Marks, or Fleet Marks, or Romulan Marks, or EC, or Lobi, or Borg Neural Processors, or...) anywhere, it's that you've got yet again that many more to get, and you have to do what they want, for a set period of time, to get them. STFs were decent in that you used to be able to get a good variety (minus Fleet Marks) all in one place, and there was a little strategy and teamwork involved.

The SB24 (the new farm zone) DOES award DIL, but it's nothing but spam the spacebar for 1 minute, collect rewards. Why in the hell would you want to do that, and why's it preferable to what we were doing? Boring as all hell.

6. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

yes, thats what happens when you take western high value IP property and hand it over to asian grindfest developers. This is becoming eastern grindgame / chest opener with every patch they provide. It is kind of hard to be excited about that.

7. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I can certainly see the drawbacks. That said--for me it has been the Foundry content that has kept me coming back. People have been complaining about losing the console clickies, but from the standpoint of someone who does want missions that have a story behind them, it's not going to be any change for me in what I do in-game. I was already mostly using full-length missions for my Officer Reports anyway. Unfortunately the Nagus Dailies (which I used to sharpen my space combat skills) may not make it under the new system, but I am sure I can find a 20-minute fighting mission for those times when I just want to fight, go after an accolade, or whatever.

As far as the fleet I belong to goes...honestly I doubt there will be any changes for us even though we're not that large. We probably won't pursue the embassy (though it remains to be seen what fleet leadership does), but I would say that for my fleet, we have other reasons for playing as a group than the speed of leveling up either ourselves or our starbase.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

the 1-clicks should have been blocked ages ago, obvious exploit. Annoying that they allowed that this long

9. Timelord Victorious

Cryptic keeps somersaulting.

They returned the promised 480/960 dilithium rewards to STFs.
    Unfortunately for those hoping for easy FA grinding, those rewards have been cut to 480-640 (may be tweaked again).

10. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    I'm most surprised by their apparent inability to predict how their player base will respond to their changes. The fact that they keep flip flopping makes it seem like they really thought people wouldn't bat an eyelash.

11. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

To be honest I found STFs exactly the same, rather mindless and boring, especially having done something like 3 a day since the game went F2P.

On the otherhand fleet actions enabled me to get my dilithium grinding done quickly and allowed me to get on to doing something fun (like PvP and exploring new Romulus).

With cryptic nerfing the dilithium reward of fleet actions I've instead got to waste more time grinding it.

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Am I the only one who can't access Foundry missions?

13. Timelord Victorious

That's because the whole Foundry is disabled until all the missiosn are savely ported over into the new season code.

14. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the info. Any idea how long?

15. Timelord Victorious

Shouldn't be more than a few days. Somewhere next week at the latest I think.

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Annndddddd Cryptic's opened Pandora's Box.

Elite STF channels have started forming level 1 private SB24 swarms that cut down those klingon ships as if they were butter. 1440 dilithium in 90 seconds tops, no cooldown.

So Cryptic wanted players to have more dilithium, they've got it. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  17. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I ran SB24 several times during the double fleet marks. Can be done in 20 minutes with a bad pug, quicker if you have players that know what they're doing.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I didn't say it took very long. I said it was boring as hell. ZERO strategy, no teamwork, just rush in, slam the spacebar for a minute or two, collect DIL.

Again, it's not that the new required farming is hard, it's that it's mind-numbingly boring. And I have no interest in playing it...

As for the New Romulus stuff? Kinda symptomatic of Cryptic's overall issue: visually, it's very nice. They've created a nice little adventure planet setting. But they didn't create any adventures to HAVE on the planet. Scan 5 of x, encourage Y number of workers to stop being lazy shits, go over there and click "f" 5 times. It's just grindy little mini-games, but no reason behind it, or much fun in it. They like to play with the systems, but have abandoned the gameplay portion, the reason to DO the things. It's just another new currency, grindfests to collect it 10 marks at a time, and then a massive sink to drop them in. Despite an obvious amount of work that went into it, I just don't see the point. Ran around for a couple hours there, and pretty much already had enough.

They did the same thing with Bajor. Created a great map, beautiful scenery. And then just put a couple tiny grind games in there and abandoned it. When was the last time you were there? They spend all this time on it, and it's wasted because they can't figure out how to make them ENGAGING. Just nice scenery or 'click f 5 times' missions.

They also can't seem to just TWEAK anything. They go in for wholesale changes to the entire system. If they weren't happy with DIL rates, could have tried adjusting things, more here, little less there, see what happens. Instead, they nuke the most popular ones (to the point where the backlash already has them reversing course), attach the big rewards to garbage missions that no one plays anymore (not because of the rewards, but because they are boring, awful missions), nuke several currencies (again), create whole new ones (screwing everyone yet again on the conversion rates), etc. Can't even make sense of half of what they changed. Even little stuff, like visual items like the PVE queue screen. Awful, muddled mess. What was wrong with that one? Or knowing roughly how many people were in the queue, whether it was worth signing up in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  19. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. So it's all about SB24, now. I queued up, was able to go in 2 seconds, and that was at 11:00 PM at night on a weeknight! Off we go. I figured I'd get in there, we'd work together and get them taken down in no time. Sure enough, I show up, everyone's already pewpewpewing, and 3 minutes later, we're all done. Ta da?

20. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Agreed. It comes down to having only one writer on the team who seem to be treated as a junior staff and does not seem to have any power or say in what goes into the game.

Strangely, Champs Online seem to have a much stronger and more cohesive storyline with actual adventures and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.