THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Skywalker, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Nice. I missed the rumor back in March. I'm so glad they're using subtitles. I hate boring "So and so 2" or "So and so Part II" titles.

2. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't wait for the inevitable 10th anniversary Blu-ray director's edition of the original trilogy to go along with the inevitable Blu-ray director's edition of the Hobbit duology.

:vulcan: <-- pretend it's a wood elf.

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Suddenly a bad feeling has come to mind: I really hope the recent trend of having Blu-ray exclusive extras (and not just a few, but a lot) doesn't extend to The Hobbit's eventual release. I'll be livid if I can't experience the same joy with extras on the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs. I really hate this trend right now, but I'll lose my mind if this happens.

4. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, in one form or another I am sure Warners will release something for everyone. It might be the fourth time to the well, but eventually....

5. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

It's going to be a bit more than that, I think. The casting of Orlando Bloom and numerous other LOTR-only characters, coupled with the confirmed casting of Holm (which I only just found out about) indicates to me the whole film is going to be a flashback, probably set within the events of LOTR during one of the Rivendell visits; probably a later one as there's no sign of Arwen an Aragorn.

Pretty dumb, but hey they have to find some way to justify padding the thing to two movies.

What annoys me is Jackson made such an effort to be true to the LOTR books (Tom Bombadil notwithstanding) yet here he is seriously farting about with, frankly, a book that's even more beloved than LOTR. Rankin and Bass made a fine animated film of the thing, complete with musical numbers, in 90 minutes and it covered the complete story. I'm fine with Jackson making The Hobbit but I'm not interested in it becoming Lord of the Rings Book 5 and 6.

Alex

6. Skywalker

Every other LOTR character that has been mentioned thus far (Legolas and Galadriel, specifically) can all very easily appear in The Hobbit without it being a flashback like you describe. Elrond was already in the book anyway, when Gandalf brought the group to Rivendell to translate Thorin's map. Also, as Emh posted earlier, it's now confirmed that the White Council and their assault on Dol Guldur will play an expanded role in The Hobbit. Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel (along with Saruman and Radagast) were all members of the White Council.

As for Legolas, well, that's easy. Legolas' father was Thranduil, who was king of the Elves in Mirkwood. That makes it very easy to place Legolas in some of the Mirkwood scenes when Bilbo, Thorin, et al, are there.

Heck, if they really wanted, they could even have Arwen make a brief cameo during the group's stop in Rivendell. Aragorn could also technically appear, but at that time he was just a boy of ten years old who had yet to be told of his ancestry.

7. The Nth Doctor

Beat me to it. That's precisely what I was about to say.

Now, if they start adding people like Theoden, Boromir (although Bean has already said he's not returning), Gimli (Rhys-Davies has said the same thing), Faramir, etc., then it gets excessive. Adding Sam, Merry, and Pippin can work (they could be there with Frodo) but I don't want that happen. There's been rumors about Merry and Pippin but nothing has come out of them as of yet.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Is Jackson going to ignore X-Men: The Last Stand?

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Of course not.

10. Skywalker

He'd better not. Magneto plays an important role in the story.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I don't know how I feel about Legolas being in the film. He's pretty useless unless someone needs to be informed that...

THEY'RE TAKING THE HOBBITS TO ISENGARD!!!!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY[/yt]

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is a terrible thing to get stuck in my head right before I'm about to try and go to sleep. Damn you, sir.

13. Set Harth

The only reason Legolas wasn't in the book was because the character hadn't been invented yet. In retrospect he was probably there at the time.

14. Skywalker

He'll be there in The Hobbit: Special Edition, coming to bookstores next year!

15. Set Harth

Actually, the Hobbit already is a "special edition", after having been altered in the fifties and sixties to more closely fit with LOTR.

Maybe they'll release an Extra Special edition.

16. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

^That's true. "Riddles in the Dark" was revised: the original version followed the story that Bilbo told Gandalf and the dwarves afterward.

Yet strangely, no one ever accused Tolkien of raping their childhood.

17. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

Ian McKellen just confirmed that Benedict Cumberbatch will be a part of Hobbit. And from the description, it sounds like BC will be Smaug, esp. considering the "what can he be playing?" line.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  18. The Nth Doctor

I saw that earlier today and that's my impression as well. I can't wait for the verbal jousting between Freeman and Cumberbatch. :D

19. Skywalker

The way McKellen answered the question certainly does make it sound like that's what he'll be playing.

20. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

I can just see it now: As Bilbo walked through the tunnel towards the dragon's lair, he heard "bored, BORED, BORED!" bellowed down. :D