What games are you playing currently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by charlhussey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ You can adjust the difficulty in all of the Mass Effect games to a degree where combat mechanics become virtually completely trivial. (It's called Narrative Mode in the later games.) It's easy to enjoy those games for the characters and dialogue stuff even if you're not a big third-person shooter guy.

Even if you're not a big RPG guy in the cRPG kind of way, since you can switch on auto-leveling and completely ignore inventory and item management.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I finished Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment last night. One more trophy and I'll have the Plat. ;)

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, I love RPGs, though primarily jRPGs.

4. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

In that case Eternal Sonata...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EATvJxVBgq4[/yt]

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You love jRPGs and you bought a 360? Microsoft is pretty well known for their western focus, so I'm surprised that you didn't buy a PS3 instead.

But there's still a few good jRPGs on the 360. Tales of Vesperia is a great one if you enjoy the Tales series.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

This time last year I would have agreed, but with Ubisoft's track record of late...I'd much rather they forget about it rather than have them mess it up.

The combat mechanics in ME1 aren't the best...indeed they're well known to be very wonky. Mostly it seems they just struggled meshing RPG style powers and cooldowns with real-time third person cover based shooting and the AI is *terrible*. The good news is they improve in leaps and bounds on all fronts in the sequels.

Regardless, even if they're not you can just play through the game on the easiest difficulty setting. Even if you're not feeling the gameplay, the story and characters are worth the slog!

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yes! Now we're talking! Consider it obtained! Thanks, Rincewiend. :D

Oh, I also traded for a game called Otomedius Excellent. I was told it was fun, similar to Gradius, and that it was silly, full of anime, and wildly inappropriate for any single man over 30. Of course I had to get it.

You love jRPGs and you bought a 360? Microsoft is pretty well known for their western focus, so I'm surprised that you didn't buy a PS3 instead.

But there's still a few good jRPGs on the 360. Tales of Vesperia is a great one if you enjoy the Tales series.[/QUOTE]

In my defense, I didn't know that at the time. I was just excited that someone was willing to trade their 360 for my PS2 and games, plus I'd had some experience with the 360 (though that was unpleasant), so I went with the devil I knew, and I think it turned out okay.

You're right though, in that so many jRPGs are only for the PS3, so it's a bit frustrating, but I have found some good titles that I hope work out.

One of the games I most certainly want is Catherine, but I'm going to wait until the price drops a little more. It's still too pricey for me, even in trade.

Yeah, the story was interesting, and the graphics looked terrific. You could see a lot of work put into the game. I just seem to be pretty awful at first/third person combat style games. Having thought on it, I think it's not that I don't like some combat, it's just I'm not a fan of war games.

I'm also thinking that maybe part of it's the controller, as I'm still getting used to the 360 controller. Having the PS1 and PS2 controller configuration in my head keeps messing with me. I have the Xbox 360 Arcade disc that has those great little games on them, like Boom Boom Rocket, and I'm using those to train myself on the controller.

I do like fighting games, but more your traditional ones like Dead or Alive (I own DOA 4), and I own two games from the BlazBlue series (Continuum Shift and Calamity Trigger), and those are a blast, and the artwork is superb!

Actually, here's my game list up to this point. The games in bold are ones I have traded for but haven't yet received, so if you have questions about them, I can't answer them.

Arcade Live
    BlazBlue Calamity Trigger
    BlazBlue Continuum Shift
    Dead or Alive 4
    Don King's Prizefighter
    Eternal Sonata
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Forza Motorsport 4
    Grand Theft Auto 4
    Gears of War*
    Harm's Way (Download Version)
    Hydro Thunder Hurricane (Download Version)
    Indiana Jones the Lego Adventure
    L.A. Noire
    Madden NFL 13
    Major League Baseball 2K10
    Mirror's Edge (Download Version)
    Need for Speed: Rivals
    Ninety Nine Nights
    Otomedius Excellent
    Project Gotham Racing 3
    Qubed Game Pack (Rez HD, Lumines, E4)
    Sega Superstars Tennis
    Split/Second
    SSX
    Star Trek
    Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
    Tales of Vesperia
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
    Tiger Woods Presents The Masters 13
    Tomb Raider
    Virtua Tennis 3
    WWE 13

Even though I'm not a war game type fan, I traded for Gears of War to help out a new member on the game trading site. Hopefully, I'll end up liking it. I've been told it's very good.

By the way, have I recommended L.A. Noire yet? If not, let me just say that if you're a fan of the old black and white serials, or the old mysteries from the 1940s and 50s, you would *love* this game. It is awesome. I highly recommend it. There's some swearing, and there's some gunplay, but it's mostly about being a gumshoe/cop in 1940s Hollywood. You kind of expect Edward G. Robinson to make an appearance at any moment. It is terrific.

Oh, and as for bad buys, I bought Killer is Dead in a bargain bin, and I played it for all of 5 minutes before immediately trading it away. Yeesh, blood and gore everywhere! I mean, I'm sure the game is a favorite for somebody, but oh ye gods, there was so much blood, it turned me away instantly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

If you're interested in the Mass Effect story generally, there's probably somebody on YouTube that's put most of the cutscenes together (albeit you'll be bound by their decision). No idea how well that would work. Or, hmmm.... probably not, but I wonder if anybody's ever tried "branching" YT videos where you watch and there's multiple links for the various choices? That would be a colossal undertaking, so surely not.

Oh, and let me highly recommend Telltale Games "The Walking Dead."

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Nice, I'm still pretty early on in the game.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Been playing the opening of FFXIII on one of my old-ass, super lame, un-hip, last-gen consoles (PS3), and I love dem feels, to paraphrase NeoGAF vernacular.

Almost six year-old game, but it's still quite the looker. Beautiful soundtrack, too, even though it's not Nobuo Uematsu.

It does start extremely slow in terms of gameplay (like a 12-hour, story-heavy tutorial), but after more than 100 hours of Dragon Age: Inquistion on XBONE, I'm glad to go through a laid-back, 100% linear jRPG experience.

11. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Just played through the first episode of Life is Strange, the new Square Enix joint (adventure game in the tradition of Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls, but it will be delivered episodically). Very impressed. It was a hella satisfying playthrough and there's a ton of stuff still to go back and try again in this episode alone.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I was actually reading through this thread with the purpose of posting this exact thing, but someone beat me to it ;)

I loved this so much, the gameplay mechanic of rewinding time (up to a point) was implemented really well, and the whole thing felt reminiscent of Donnie Darko, a huge plus in my book.

I bought the season pass on a whim, and I'm really glad I did. Now just gotta wait till next Month when it comes out...so hard :D

13. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Will definitely be buying a season pass myself. :techman:

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Playing Injustice: Gods Among Us on my Android tablet. Not too bad of a game, even if it is a transparent money grab.

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

LEGO Batman 3 - something around 92% completed.

16. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Trivia Crack

17. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Super Smash Bros 3ds

18. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I agree.....I guess I was just hopelessly holding out for it. But, until I see any news on it, for now, I have relegated it to "vaporware" status. :)

19. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Anybody playing FarCry 4 on the PS3? I'm *so* close to getting my first platinum trophy, just a few multiplayer ones I could use a hand with

20. Dexter Remmick

Dexter Remmick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am currently playing through Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal. I just completed Going Commando and attained the Platinum for it. My 27th.

I am hoping to get my 28th with this one. Will also be the fifth in the series for me. ACiT and Into the Nexus are my favorite in the franchise.