Revamped idea for a New show. Star Trek : Star Fleet Intelligence

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by CommodoreDecker, Sep 27, 2013.

1. CommodoreDecker

CommodoreDecker Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

A reboot of the old idea Star Trek, Section 31. My fellow Trekites on here thought it was a horrible idea. A behind the shadows organization, that answers to no one. And goes against the very core values of the Federation and has a clear cut mandate: Protect the Federation at ALL COST! Ok now after intense debates on the subject, Maybe "Star Fleet Intelligence" would be better and more "Federation user friendly" same concept, Mission Impossible meets Star Trek and just maybe Section 31 could be the antagonist for the Federation as the bad guys

http://youtu.be/xzA1xaOAo9M
    Section 31 is referenced here in Star Trek Renegades

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where and how does the trekking among the stars come into this? You know, that eponymous thing that makes Star Trek cool and fun.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It would have to be amazingly made and written for it to be any good, otherwise I think I'll pass.

5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I liked the Section 31 idea and I like this - it would help tie in the current movies. Star Trek has to change, just 'exploring' has had it's chance - a new show has to have a different angle for me

6. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be honest, when Star Trek DOES eventually come back to tv, I don't think it will be drastically different from what has come before.

I'm expecting a traditional ship-based show, Star Trek: The New Generation basically

It'll be interesting to see what they do, my hopes of a return to the prime continuity are fading, and I think it will be morel likely some sort of reboot, but other than that I don't expect it to be drastically different

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

This idea I like. I posted this in the other topic.

"I could get into this. Maybe someone in the regular branch of Starfleet Intelligence with a super fast vessel to get from place to place, where ever the current trouble spot was and running into Section 31 agents. Sometimes having to work with them and other times against them."

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then what's the point of it being 'Star Trek'?

This is the one thing that always just confuses me to no end: people want 'Star Trek' back but they don't want it to be 'Star Trek'. :(

9. CommodoreDecker

I don't recall you coming up with any ideas for a new series or anything for that matter. When you do, please let me know:vulcan:

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

No need to get personal.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I love spy stuff but Star Trek should focus on exploring the Final Frontier not spy stuff though an ocassional story or arc about that is fine with me.

12. CommodoreDecker

Baffles me too Bill!

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Section 31 should be erased from existence. I love espionage thrillers. And I've often thought doing something along those lines--on a limited scale--in Star Trek could be fun. But from a conceptual stand-point, S31 is, and always has been, really stupid.

I admit, Sadler gave a great performance, but the premise of the character was faulty to begin with. He and it should have stayed buried on DS9.

S31's appearance on ENT was pointless, it was mostly pointless in STiD, and the novels are terrible.

That said, in the months leading-up to STiD when there were rumblings S31 was going to make an appearance in the film, I had suggested they might do it as a set-up for the next film (ST13/S31). The concept does seem like the kind of thing Abrams would be into ... "SD-6" after all.

I'd just prefer they didn't. And absolutely not with a TV series.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The rumblings went on for close to a year prior to STID's release. They began in June 2012 when the Ongoing comic series introduced a group of shady Starfleet officers most fans assumed were Section 31 and believed this to be set up for the movie.

15. Bry_Sinclair

I have loads of ideas for what I want to see in the next Trek series—which fan doesn’t—as well as do a fair bit of original fanfic writing (which can be found in the appropriate board here), so I have nothing wrong with different ideas and takes on Trek.

Whilst the NuTrek movies have brought in big bucks and exposed the masses to Star Trek, that doesn’t mean all those people are going to watch a new series. So it should be rooted in what makes Trek what it is, a group of adventurous people heading into the unknown to see all they can see and go in pursuit of knowledge, not futuristic gadgets and phaser fights. Action has always played a part in Trek, but it isn’t all it was meant to be, it should explore important subject matters in intelligent and unusual angles, not resolving matters by technobabble or firing torpedoes.

In order to attract a new audience, it would have to get the right look and feel, with well written stories, compelling and well thought out characters. After the limp wristed ENT it needs to be about substance as much as style, without resorting to stripping off attractive women or men just to show its “sexy and edgy”.

16. CommodoreDecker

Glad to hear it. You come off as someone who's critical. I don't mind that, but if you have no idea's of your own and bring nothing to the table but your appetite, than it's a problem. The New Trek movies have already invited the new fans, who may have not been familiar with either the original or STTNG. Now it's time moreso to bring something out for all the old and faithful trekies who have waited after ENTERPRISE went off the air. Watched You-tube's Star Trek "Of God's and men and will watch the soon to be released You-Tubes "Star Trek Renegades". The new movies have already established a fan base. Now it's time for a new tv show with fresh writer's and fresh idea's

17. Bry_Sinclair

Fresh ideas doesn't mean breaking away from everything that Trek is and going down a totally new direction focusing on spooks, secrets and clandestine missions.

Stories should focus as much on the characters as the alien-of-the-week, so there are plenty of stories to tell about the people on an exploratory mission, as much as the adventures they will have. That's what I want from Trek on TV.

18. Smellmet

So are you telling me that all the previous series have followed the 'exploring' philosophy rigidly? I seem to remember lots of TNG & DS9 exploring lots of different themes, politics espionage, war, economics, all sorts, it was all still Star Trek though, just like this could be. There would still be worlds and races to be discovered, but our main characters would be simply employed by the Federation in a different capacity, that's how I see it. Surely any new show needs an 'edge' or USP to compete in todays crowded marketplace?

19. Bry_Sinclair

That's the point. All those elements were episodes in the larger series that dealt with exploring the universe and meeting new aliens.

An Intel series would be about spying on other species, not making contact with them.

20. Smellmet

We'll have to agree to disagree then, I still think it would be great, don't get me wrong - if Trek came back to TV and it was a more traditional show, I'd be just as eager to see it, I'm not wanting to destroy what Trek is, but I don't see the harm in mixing things up a little. I'm a big DS9 fan, and some of my favorite aspects of it were the political turmoil with the Romulans, Section 31, The Obsidian Order, stuff like that. It really fleshed out the experience of watching Trek for me and made the other races seem more realistic and not just some one-dimensional alien of the week, Im not really backing anything more of a departure than what DS9 was to be fair.