Star Trek: Full Speed Ahead

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Zefram_Cochrane, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Zefram_Cochrane

Zefram_Cochrane First Faster Than Light Premium Member

I have one more act to post here before I point you to the site. I'm formatting Act III for posting right now. :)

-- ZC

2. Zefram_Cochrane

There's an aspect to life aboard a starship that I always felt was missing from the episodes of TNG. The episode "Lower Decks" was an amazing exposure to the other side of the coin and I never forgot how they made those ensigns seem so dynamic in light of being on board a ship with what would become living legends.

And for the most part, I guess I understood why: there's a finite amount of time for episode length, and actors are contracted to have so much screen time/lines/etc in order to satisfy SAG rules. That doesn't leave a whole lot for lower deck activity.

So, as part of FSA, it is my intention to introduce some stories that involve the junior officers. :) I start that thread with a scene between Greg Aspinall and Ensign O'Day.

A warning: Some of the conversation between these two can get a little PG-13-ish, but there's nothing explicit other than expressing fantasy. Btw, an acknowledgment to Peter David, who showed me the way ("Q-in-Law").

Act III
    ----------------------

Gregory Aspinall ran his fingers through his hair as he lay back on the bunk in his stateroom. His hands moved behind his head and interlocked as he enjoyed the spaciousness of a double stateroom by himself. Being a junior grade lieutenant had its advantages, he decided. "So, what do you think?" he asked his visitor.

Ensign Thomas O'Day frowned. "I think this sucks."

"The room?"

"The situation."

Greg rolled his eyes. "Are you kidding me? I hope we never have to go home. My own room is beyond what I could have hoped for. And besides, adventures in the Beta Quadrant? This is what I signed on for."

"I'd rather go home and see my family."

"We've been away from them for a whole eight hours... we were going to be doing trials for two days! You're already homesick?" Greg clicked his tongue at him. "I think Starfleet might've been a bad choice for you."

Tom sighed. "It would've been a better two days if it were inside Federation territory... or at least within shouting distance."

Tommy O'Day was a fresh-faced graduate of Starfleet Academy, and it was his very first assignment after taking his summer leave. Greg felt a pang of guilt for not remembering that, but he shook it off. "Captain Leone's one of the best. I'm sure she'll find us a way home."

"Is she better than your mom?"

"No one's better than Mom," Greg assured him. His mother, Joy, was a rear admiral serving at the commanding admiral of Starbase Eleven. But before that, she was a starship captain of good repute. "There's a reason she urged me to sign off with Captain Leone."

"Because you're a legacy, and she's a legacy, too?"

"More than that. She's a friend of the family."

"Well, great. You use your inside hookups to get all the plum assignments, while little Tommy O'Day has to make do with being the first member of his family to join Starfleet," he said, throwing up his hands. His tone betrayed the fear he felt. "And what happens to him on his first assignment? Some wackjob steals the ship and sends it clear to the other side of the galaxy!"

"Calm down, Tommy. You're going to give yourself hives," said Greg in a mutter.

"What are hives?"

"I don't know. It's just something my grandma used to say."

"Oh. Anyway, whatever you may think of Captain Leone, I honestly doubt she's going to magically whisk us back to Federation space."

Greg grinned.

"What?"

"You obviously underestimate the power of a starship captain, my young friend."

"I put more faith in Lieutenant Bartlet," affirmed Tommy. "She is a..."

Greg's interest in his friend's words was apparent as he looked for an apt adjective.

"Brilliant officer. Smart, and funny... she's really nice and cares about people who serve under her."

"Didn't I tell you not to get crushes on your superior officers?"

"What about you and Commander Elannis?"

Greg blushed. "That's different."

"How do you figure?"

"I don't go gushing all over her."

"What the hell. You do, so. Last night, before we launched, you were talking about how disappointed you were that Starfleet redesigned the uniforms, because you would've killed to see her... rear end in a one piece jumpsuit."

"Oh, man, I so would."

"See?!"

"No, it's different. When I look at her, I see a well-toned drop-dead gorgeous specimen of womanhood," Greg's voice turned soft. "If looks could kill..."

"You'd be dead by now? I'm not that lucky."

Greg slapped Tommy on the shoulder. "Asshole."

"You just lust after her. Lieutenant Bartlet deserves better than that from whoever she dates. She's not to be the subject of some pervert's wet dream."

"Commander Elannis... no, Ariel... she's not up on some pedestal. She's real. Attainable."

"I suppose you think Captain Leone's lustworthy, as well?"

"Uh... not really."

"Why not? She's pretty attractive. Red hair, green eyes, fair skin, great body. Especially after having a kid."

"A surrogate had the kid. She was on-duty when Dom was born."

"Still, she's quite a babe in her own right."

"Then you date her."

"I've got my own goals, thanks. But you still haven't really answered my question."

"Then actually ask one."

"What's wrong with the captain?"

"It's wrong! She's like my older sister."

"But she really isn't."

Greg blushed again. He mumbled a response.

"I'm sorry. What was that?"

"She... used to babysit for me."

Tommy threw his head back and laughed. "Oh my God, that is priceless!"

Greg sat up and pointed at him, angrily. "Don't you dare say a word!"

"I can't, I'm laughing too hard!"

"I never should've said anything."

"I can't believe she was your babysitter! That's hilarious!"

"Her dad and my dad are old friends," explained Greg, realizing that he wouldn't be able to do anything but. "When I was young, she would come over and watch me while our dads would go out. They would beam all over Earth, while our moms were serving."

"Okay," said Tommy with a nod, still letting the odd giggle out. "Keep going."

"She came over a lot. In fact, we spent a lot of time together. As much time as a young, impressionable boy such as myself might think that one day we were going to be more than just friends."

"Greg, was Captain Leone a hot teenager?" asked Tommy in a playful accusatory tone.

"Oh, yes."

"What?"

"Hot."

"Like...?"

"Hotter-than-Ariel-Elannis-hot."

"Holy Kolker," breathed Tommy. "I can see that, totally. With the freckles and the red hair in curls, maybe... in a thin t-shirt on a hot summer's day..." The ensign's voice trailed off as the mental image formed in his head.

"Anyway, she went off to prep school for the Academy. One of those schools that requires you to board at them, so you get used to the experience that the Academy has to offer." Greg continued his story, knowing that perhaps Tommy was lost in his fantasy world. "I was twelve years old, and I didn't know what was going on, except that she was sixteen and I stupidly thought she was my girlfriend."

"Did she like bathe you?"

"No!"

"Maybe she climbed in with you?"

"Tommy."

"Did she ever wear like a low-cut shirt and bent over to pick up a toy... and you were like all excited but you didn't know why, and she wasn't wearing a bra?"

Greg stared at him, dumbfounded. "For your sake, I sincerely hope the Beta Quadrant has a place like Risa, so we can pop that cherry of yours and be done with it."

"I can't hear you. In my mind right now, Captain Leone and Lieutenant Bartlet are promoting me to lieutenant, in the nude," said Tommy with his eyes closed.

"God, I want to go home, now," said Greg in a barely constrained scream.

"See? I knew you'd come around."

---- Scene Change ----

Petra sat in front of Captain Leone's desk within the ready room. "In short, warp drive is available for all flight modes, sir."

"Nice work," said Leone. "What about the rest of the damage when we passed through the anomaly?"

"That's going to take a little longer, sir. We did take some outer hull damage, and that will require hull patching."

"Which we could do out here, but we would have to find someplace that was safe for EVA ops."

"I wouldn't recommend trying to perform repairs on the hull while at impulse power."

"Goes without saying. Weapons?"

"Fully operational, sir."

Leone nodded her understanding, and leaned back into the seat. "This isn't how I imagined my first command going," she admitted. "I had hoped for smooth trials and then on to Starbase 310 to patrol the border."

"I think we all did, sir," replied Petra. She smiled at her encouragingly.

"I'll get us back there. Rest assured."

"I don't doubt that at all, sir."

"Thank you. Would you be kind enough to send in Ariel on your way out?"

"Of course, sir."

Petra left as quietly as she entered, and Ariel entered with a grin.

"So, are we in it or what?"

Leone pressed her lips together in annoyance. "Gods, Ariel! At least wait until the doors closed to start spouting off."

"You haven't answered my question."

The captain sighed. "We have to make repairs, and we're going to need some coverage while we do it. Our choices are to engage warp drive and get the hell out of here, start a long journey home and take our chances."

"Or?"

"We go to the Kasui fortress, make repairs there, get ourselves a new alpha device and get ourselves home."

"While at the same time, involving ourselves and the Federation in a war without authorization."

"Yeah."

"What does the book say?"

"The Prime Directive keeps flashing like a big warning sign in my face. Non-interference in the internal matters of another culture." Leone shook her head. "I can't imagine this not qualifying."

Ariel sighed. "I figured that pesky little General Order Number One would come into play, sooner or later. However, I think you missed a class or two at the Academy about its application."

"What do you mean?"

"We're already involved, Krys. We destroyed a Tristnor vessel, and undoubtedly they got off a transmission to the home base since then."

"Something about that's been worrying me, actually. We've been cruising at full impulse through their 'core' territory and we haven't seen so much as a shuttle running around, here."

"Saleb said something about their belief in manifest desinty. Maybe the subjugated races don't believe in-"

"Captain to the bridge," said Nieves over the intercom.

Leone spat, "Damn. We just jinxed ourselves, didn't we?"

Ariel smirked, and followed her out to the bridge.

"Report."

"Incoming transmission. Long-range, very powerful, but I can't get a lock on the source. It has the same communications protocol as the Tristnor vessel, so I can only assume..." he stopped talking, eyeing his console. "It's a wide-band alert. For us."

"Let's hear it."

"It's a text message, sir. It took the universal translator some time to work on the written form of their language, but it reads, 'USS Farragut NCC-60597, destroy on sight.'"

"Great." Leone settled back into her seat, while Ariel occupied the executive officer's seat to her right. "Wilson, have security bring Mister Saleb and Mister Belkis to the bridge."

Nieves did not hesitate. "Aye, sir."

"Helm, lay in a course for the Kasui fortress and engage at warp eight."

The helmsman turned to look at her in confusion. "Sir?"

"You heard me, Ensign."

"Aye, sir. Course laid in. Engaging warp engines."

"Ariel?"

"Yes, sir?"

"To answer your question; yes, we're in it."

Ariel showed her pleasure with a large grin. "Yeah, I figured."

-------------------

Something I added to Act III of the first episode that's at HopeStation.net and not here: Ariel Elannis is half Orion, half Terran. A fact of which will become clear in Acts IV and V.

Thanks for reading, and again, I hope to see you guys at HopeStation.net. Any of you United Trek authors need a home, please feel free to use it. It's a great site with no ads.

-- ZC

3. Zefram_Cochrane

Here's Act IV, and it's not the naughty one. I'm sorry for the delay, but I was working out a way to make sure that when you clicked on Act V (the naughty one), it would present you with a choice. :)

Act IV:
    ----------------------

Captain's Log
    Stardate 43225.1

Since our arrival in Tristnor space, we appeared to be entangled in a conflict that could have repercussions on the Federation in the far future. The Tristnor have decided to eradicate us from their space by any means necessary, and I have an obligation to see this crew safely back to the Alpha Quadrant. Our involvement in this war was sealed the moment the Tristnor fired on this ship, and so we're forced to seek allies while deep in the Beta Quadrant.

To that end, I have ordered a course change to reach the Kasui fortress. Mister Saleb and Mister Belkis have been most helpful in instructing me in the culture of their people. I have no reason to doubt their sincerity in bringing our two peoples together to face a common enemy. I plan to make my appeal to their leader, Prime Barris.

---- Scene Change ----

"May I introduce the leader of the only Kasui fortress known to exist, Prime Barris," said Saleb, with his head bowed before the massive Kasui male. "Prime, I would like to present Starfleet Captain Krystine Leone, the commanding officer of the Federation starship Farragut."

Barris showed off his teeth as he inclined his head out of respect. His huge hands rose and opened toward her. "Your ship, and your title, are most impressive, Captain."

Leone reflected the gesture as Belkis instructed her. "Thank you, Prime Barris. The accomplishments of your people are even more impressive, when you consider the circumstances."

Barris accepted the compliment from her and seated himself at the head of the table, as was his right. Even sitting, he had presence within the room, and she knew he would be a formidable opponent for negotiating an agreement or alliance. She needed some insurance to make sure their talks went well. "Commander Elannis to the observation lounge."

When she entered, Leone gestured to her, "Prime Barris, this is my executive officer, Lieutenant Commander Ariel Elannis."

Ariel elected to wear the jumpsuit variation of the recent Starfleet uniform. No doubt, somewhere between the bridge and the observation lounge, she unzipped the front of it to expose the bare skin underneath. She drew near to Barris and bent over at the waist with a respectful bow. "A pleasure to meet you, Prime."

"I am comforted to know that a distant people would choose to entrust a fearsome warship such as the Farragut to two beautiful women," he said, never once taking his eyes away from Ariel's form. "Saleb and Belkis have done well during this operation, by bringing powerful allies to our cause, but even more for ensuring the company is most pleasant."

Belkis opened his mouth to warn the Prime, but Leone cut him off, "It is we who are honored to be here, Prime, in spite of the circumstances." She gave him a quick glance to assure him that she was not offended.

Ariel's voice dropped to husky levels, "Indeed, Captain. It's so nice to see a powerfully handsome man at the ends of the galaxy, fighting for the freedom of his people. It's a very romantic notion amongst our kind."

Barris blushed briefly, then composed himself.

Leone hid her smirk with a clearing of her throat. Ariel had him, for sure. "Prime, we are in need of a safe haven to make repairs to our ship. We intend to seek and locate the backup device Saleb mentioned, so that we may return home in a timely fashion."

"You wish our help to get home?"

Ariel pushed a little more. "It would most gracious of you to do so, Prime. And I... er, we would be exceedingly appreciative."

Belkis' jaw dropped. Saleb reached over to close his mouth, while keeping a watch upon the discussion.

The Prime did not answer immediately, but his eyes continued to drink Ariel in; moving up and down as she chose to stand near her captain instead of depriving him of her figure by hiding half of it behind the conference table. "Y-Yes, well, our facility is not fully equipped," he admitted. "It is a prize of war, and supplies are hard to come by."

Leone leaned back in her chair and crossed her legs at the knees. "What kind of supplies do you require?"

Belkis answered, "Food, mostly. As more and more refugees make for the fortress, our food supplies are replenished only when we go on a raid against the Tristnor supply lines."

While Belkis spoke, Barris enjoyed the close proximity of Ariel. He closed his eyes and inhaled her scent. "Our supplies are not so low, however, that we cannot invite our guests to share a meal with us."

"We can provide you with food, Prime. We have a device that converts energy into matter. Using our system, we could provide you with months of rations to feed your people," said Leone. "Therefore, you wouldn't have to risk sending them out to raid for supplies."

Barris' eyes glanced away from Ariel, as if noticing Leone for the first time. "Perhaps you would be so kind as to share the technology, instead? That would allow us the ability to feed ourselves forever."

Leone winced inwardly. It was one thing to meddle in a war, quite another to supply them with technology. "Prime, I am bound by Starfleet regulations preventing me with sharing technology with another culture."

Barris looked up at Ariel, as though he trusted her more.

Ariel nodded, almost pouting. "She's right. We can use our technology to help you, but we can't just hand it over. You understand, right?"

It was easy. "O-Of course, I understand. You have your obligations and I have mine. It would have been foolish of me not at least inquire."

"I understand," said Leone. "Where shall I deliver the rations to?"

"I will arrange for a skiff to start transferring them, immediately."

"Prime," said Saleb. "They have a device that uses teleportation to move objects... and people, without the need for skiffs."

"You have done well, Saleb and Belkis," rumbled Barris. He rose to his feet, and so did everyone else who was seated around the table. "Captain, you shall have my fortress' protection for as long as you need it. And we will ride into battle at your side. I will accept your gracious offer of food for my people, but if I may make a small request for myself?"

Ariel placed her hands behind her back and smiled as though she knew what was coming next.

"Before you do, Prime, I would like to assign Commander Elannis as our liaison. She can go with you to your fortress and help us coordinate operations from there." Leone said, snapping her fingers toward her friend.

"Aye, sir," Ariel replied, not taking her eyes off of the Prime.

"That is most kind of you, Captain," said Barris.

"My apologies for interrupting you, Prime. You had a personal request?" Leone waited patiently for his reply, but when none came, she said, "Prime?"

"What? Oh, yes. Never mind, Captain. I forgot what I was going to say."

Leone grinned. "If you should think of it, please don't hesitate to contact me."

Barris nodded quickly, and gestured toward the exit. "I will do that. Shall we, Commander?"

As the Prime and his men departed, she heard Ariel tell him, "You can call me Ariel."

Belkis shook his head. "I cannot believe what just happened here."

Saleb only said, "That was remarkable work."

"You may not get your first officer to return, Captain," warned Belkis.

"You underestimate Commaner Elannis, Mister Belkis. It is Prime Barris who will most likely want to join Starfleet, after she gets done with him," Leone chuckled.

---- Scene Change ----

Greg Aspinall could not believe his eyes as he watched Ariel and the huge Kasui man walk from the lounge to the turbolift. She was giggling like a schoolgirl while hanging off of the man's massive arm. Her jumpsuit zipper was pulled down enough to further his fantasies for weeks. He stared hard until they walked off the bridge, and even then, he could not help but stare at the doors when they closed.

"Holy Kolker," he breathed.

"No kidding," said Nieves from the center seat, unable to tear his eyes away from the scene.

"Sir?" said the helmsman with a sly grin.

"Uh, mind your station, Lieutenant!" snapped the tactical officer.

Greg quickly found his console very interesting.

The captain, Saleb, and Belkis arrived shortly after. Leone stepped down the ramp to the command center and relieved Nieves, who returned to tactical. "Helm, ahead slow and bring us into close proximity to the fortress."

"Aye, sir. We're not docking?"

"No. The fortress does not have a compatible docking airlock. Just hold position for close formation, and then set thrusters for station-keeping."

"Aye, sir."

Leone called, "Wilson?"

"Yes, Captain?"

"Commander Elannis will be residing aboard the fortress until our repairs are completed. You will stand in for her."

"Yes, sir," replied Nieves with a succinct nod.

"Your first task is to replicate four months of rations and transport them to the fortress."

"Yes, sir. Shall I maintain a transporter lock on Commander Elannis?"

"I don't think that's necessary," the captain said with a smirk. "I'm sure Ariel will comport herself as befits a Starfleet officer."

------------------

I will post the link to Act V shortly.

Thanks for reading,

-- ZC

4. Zefram_Cochrane

Act V of this episode contains graphic sexual situations and depicted nudity. Please do not click the following link if you are in any way offended by such material. This scene was not posted here in accordance with the rules and regulations of TrekBBS, and the author doesn't want to get banned the first week here.

Thank you. And again, if you're offended, DO NOT CLICK. I'm serious.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... you have to be REGISTERED to read this, because the verification system needs you to tell it that you want to read fiction with 18+ themes in it. It won't show it to the internet freely, due to COPPA restrictions. Sorry.

http://fiction.hopestation.net/viewstory.php?sid=18&chapter=6

-- ZC

5. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Act III. The interplay between Aspinall and O'Day was priceless! They may be academy graduates, but in private they're basically two horney twenty-somethings pining after their superior officers. :) Leone and Ariel continue to impress with their casual friendship helping to keep their heads on straight in dire circumstances.

Well done, and I'm looking forward to more as I forge ahead in the story.

6. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As promised, Act V is indeed steamy, but not excessively so. Ariel is an interesting sort, a free spirit constrained under most circumstances by Starfleet rules and regulations. Removed from such restrictions, she becomes a force of nature, and one Leone obviously isn’t beyond using to her (and the crew’s) advantage.

Leone has an easy grace to her command style, as if she’s been sitting in the center seat for years rather than weeks. Obviously, her good genetics and upbringing have helped, but she’s a natural. On the cusp of a desperate engagement, she has the presence of mind to evoke the ship’s namesake and focus her people on the serious work ahead.

A really terrific segment. :bolian:

7. Zefram_Cochrane

Thanks for reading all the way through to the end of the second episode. Alas, I have not yet written the third's teaser, because I've been trying to get through my original fic in time for submission to a publisher.

Unfortunately, that means fanfic takes a back seat. But I do hope to have the third episode up before the end of the month. :)

-- ZC

8. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

What do you publish original fic as?

9. Zefram_Cochrane

I publish as a... human? I'm not sure I understand the question. :)

-- ZC

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess I'm breaking a rule or something but you would be publishing under a different name than Zefram, correct?

11. Zefram_Cochrane

Oh. :) Yeah, I do write under different pen names. One for each genre, so I can cultivate them differently. :)

-- ZC

12. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok I got caught up on this.

You know back in the 21st centruy we have another name for women like Ariel, and it is not a falttering one. :lol:

She is too much fun of a character to dismiss her however and I'm willing to entertain her free-sprited attitude towards sex.

What continues to make this stand out for me is your excellent characters and their interactions. I also like the lower decks angle, even if their conversations are not excactly what we've come to know from Starfleet officers. Obviously that was your intention, and it does make for an interesting change.

I'm very curious to see more of this soon.

13. Zefram_Cochrane

Wow, thanks, CeJay. You know, Star Eagle is how I found out about United Trek :)

As for Ariel, well, it's hard being a half human half Orion officer serving on a starship, isn't it? :) But she is a lot of fun to write and given the fact that Trek seemed to gloss over a lot of the more basic aspects of humanity in order to present a more hopeful future, I always felt that there was more going on behind the scenes than what 40-42 minutes of airtime could show us.

Besides, a race of enlightened humans wouldn't discount their sexuality or hide it away, or be embarrassed by it. I think they'd use it as another weapon in their arsenal. That's just my interpretation.

And I think it makes for some good entertainment, too ;)

-- ZC

14. Zefram_Cochrane

Just a little bit of an update. I officially hit the halfway mark on the spec novel I'm writing, so that means about another week before I go back to FSA and finish the third part of "Damn the Torpedoes!"

Also, I've been asked by some emails if Damn the Torpedoes was going to be made available in print, and the answer is YES. It will be published through lulu.com at cost (meaning I will charge nothing above what lulu charges for printing). So, if you're looking forward to holding a copy of the pilot episode in your hands, it'll most likely be available in March or April (the complete cover needs to be finished).

Thanks for all your support, guys! I hope to get more story to you soon (especially since I left you off at a cliffhanger)!

-- ZC

15. Zefram_Cochrane

Good news! I finished my novel, so I'll be working on episode 3 while also revising it.

-- ZC

16. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Just finished reading Act III, A nice bit of gearing down before ramping up the pace again. You do a good job in developing characters--I'm envious. I'd like to echo Gibraltar on Aspinall and O'Day, they are a pair of horny twenty-somethings who are in bad need of a shoreleave! ;)

Very well done! Now, to read Act IV...

17. Zefram_Cochrane

Thanks, David. I appreciate the kind words. :) I'm presently writing Episode 3, right now. :)

-- ZC

18. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Just finished reading act IV. Speaking from personal experience, I know how difficult it is at times writing a strongly sexual and hedonistic character--especially female--within the world of Starfleet. You have to maintain a very careful balancing act. It's very easy going over the top and turning the character into a parody, but you've succeeded here with Ariel. Her smoldering sexuality comes through very nicely and it does in little ways. A gesture...a pulled down jumpsuit zipper...they all do the job very well.

Very nicely done!

19. Zefram_Cochrane

Well, thanks. I hope you feel the same in Act V, when the zipper goes way down :)

I intend to play more to her baser instincts as the series progresses. Which will most likely be both arousing and troublesome for her ship as each situation she gets herself into may or may not be dealt with as smoothly as DtT2 does. I just needed to get out the word about how she's mixed-race and how Leone likes to use that to her advantage (and further, how Ariel doesn't mind when she does).

There's way more to Ariel's relationship with Leone than I've exposed, but then, that's what the series is for, right? :)

As always, thanks so much for reading!

-- ZC

20. Zefram_Cochrane

Good news, everyone. The teaser and Act I for Damn the Torpedoes! Part III is completed. I will be posting the teaser here no later than Monday. I hope you guys feel it was worth the wait!

-- ZC

PS: The teaser for Milk Run (episode 4) is also done. I couldn't wait, and I wanted to write the new first officer while I had the thought in my mind!