Comic wishlist

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Enterpriserules, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

So, we talked about Treklit already, but what comics would you like to see happen?

I'd love to see some more Prime Universe comics

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd rather see more "what if?" comics that take place all over the timeline and various universes.

3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been reading New Life and New Civilazations, the collection of essays about Star Trek in Comics (wonderful stuff, this book) and Dayton Ward's essay about the second Marvel era of Trek comics really sparked my interest.

For my comic wish list, I'd prefer a brand new Star Trek comic series (much like Early Voyages or Starfleet Academy) with original characters, original ship/station and perhaps an unexplored area/time of the Star Trek universe. Maybe throw in a few established or canonical characters for continuity's sake, much like the blending found in New Frontier or Vanguard.

Hire a writer that knows their Trek (possibly from the bullpen of current Treklit writers), a competent storyteller for the artist, and let them create a Trek comic that takes advantage of the medium -- and the setting -- to the fullest. Have them tell a Star Trek story that can only be told in a comic book with characters that won't be seen in a movie or TV series. No bounds, no limits, no oversight from Bad Robot; just entertaining and surprising stories published each month for our reading pleasure.

As for pre-existing novel series, the crew of the Titan is ripe for a comics adaptation. All of those colorful species and crew members working side-by-side, the Titan stories would benefit from illustrated depictions to associate with the various characters on the ship. Whenever I read a Titan book, the dramatis personae is always difficult to imagine or keep straight in my head, especially in group scenes. A comic narrative would eliminate this issue, allowing for more effective stories without the drag of reader confusion.

Titan could easily fit the mold of Legion of Super-Heroes or Green Lantern Corp, with a slew of strange-looking characters participating in the stories or just filling the background to demonstrate the diverse nature of the crew. I think this comic would work best as a series of mini-series, with a rotating creative team to keep the ideas fresh and innovative.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Those would be two of my biggest wishlist items as well. I'd also throw in some Vanguard comics too.
    I wouldn't mind seeing some Enterprise comics, since it is the only series that's never gotten a comic to itself.

5. Enterpriserules

I love the idea of seeing Titan comics or ENT comics, either one would be very cool.

6. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

All good ideas. I would like to see some SCE comics done using the ebook characters.

7. Enterpriserules

TOS movie era comics would be awesome

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be cool too. Basically, if there is a Trek series that hasn't had a comic book released, I would like to see at least one.

9. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I've always enjoyed the comics, my favorite being the second DC series. I'd like to see more of the Original Series crew, at various times (series, movies, etc.), and I wouldn't be opposed to some alternate or mirror universe stories.

ME

10. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll take the original material idea. If I want to read TOS-movie era stuff, I can go back to DC's first and second TOS series. They mined the hell out of that area.

11. Enterpriserules

But I'd like to see current comic standards applied to that era

12. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

Sinve Sto-Vo-Kory brought up Starfleet Academy, I'll take this opportunity to bring up a long-held opinion about the first issue.

I get that there's a tradition to bring in a past character to make a cameo in the first episode, but I thought the decision to use Spock was questionable in the extreme. Sure, he's a beloved character, but at the time Starfleet Academy starts, we all know he was on Romulus. So I assume that he had to create some logistical and sub-legal nightmare to smuggle himself off the planet and across the border just to brief a bunch of new cadets and then go through the whole shebang in reverse.

And that's not even addressing not only the questionability of his going in the first place, but coming back AND going again.

13. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Some comics going back to the Delta Quadrant and dealing with stuff that showed up in the VOY series.

Also a comic series taking place on a Luna class ship.

14. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There ought to be at least one Star Trek Enterprise comic.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  15. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Some sort of mega-crossover for the 50th Anniversary teaming the five series crews and possibly JJs?

Time travel would HAVE to have a huge role.

Like 'Flesh and Stone' but a lot bigger.

16. Enterpriserules

Like Destiny, but with every crew. That's a tall order!

17. Danlav05

Aim high, my friend. Aim high.

If you set it post-Nemesis then you have 3 crews already there; you'll just have to bring in Kirk and Archer. I can imagine it focusing on the Five Captains (though Janeway will be an Admiral. Riker is also a Captain by this point too)

18. Enterpriserules

^ hey I love the idea!

19. Danlav05

:bolian:

20. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It depends upon which era you mean -- the TOS movie era encompasses much more than just what DC themselves managed to cover, in terms of overall time period. While it's true that both of the DC runs focused almost exclusively upon the post-Wrath of Khan era (from late 2285 to maybe 2290-91, or thereabouts), there are comparatively fewer comics set post-ST:TMP and moving forward from there.

I think there were maybe 18 issues total in the original early-'80s Marvel run, and three of those were a direct adaptation of the first movie, which means only 15 or so issues dedicated exclusively to brand-new stories.

There was also that five-issue Untold Missions mini-series Marvel published in the late '90s (each issue spotlighting a single mission during a single year of the refit Enterprise's second, post-TMP five-year mission), but even with 20 issues, there's still years of storytelling to be done between the first and second movies (not counting the novels set during that period published by Pocket following the movie's release).

If we roughly estimate the first Marvel run as covering at most a year or two, that still leaves a good, solid decade of largely-unmined tales before The Wrath of Khan...and even DC's second series taking place aboard the Enterprise-A has some major openings towards the end for another good two-to-three years in the chronology yet to be detailed.

Given that we really haven't seen any TOS movie-era comics stories since perhaps the '90s apart from Klingons: Blood Will Tell, a couple of the Captain's Log one-shots, and the isolated vignette-bits in Spock: Reflections (the TV series time-period seemingly being the most popular with creators lately), there's likely a substantial untapped hunger for them right now, and I'd like to think that if a creator pitched one to IDW, it'd do extremely well for them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014