Q & A Query (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by EJA, Jan 16, 2008.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Of my own, my favorite is probably Articles of the Federation -- though I think my strongest novel is The Art of the Impossible. As for other folks, my favorite remains The Entropy Effect by Vonda N. McIntyre.

2. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good to know.

I only ask because I admire you and your work. I am currently readingg THE ART OF THE IMPOSSIBLE, in fact, and so far its excellent! The way you integreated Colonel Worf to the Klingon-Cardassian diplocatic scenario (haven't finished yet), as well as the inclusion of Curzon Dax, is delightful!

As you can see, I'm not TOO much into novels - Shatner's post-GEN novels* introduced to Trek Lit, and Peter David's Q-SQUARED kept me interested. But because of not-enough-time, I am picking stories that might interest me due to either situations (ie., the Klingon/Cardassia cold war stuff), or characters I wanna see again )ie., Kirk in the above situation, Q in the case of my forthcoming buy of Q&A).

*BTW, whats your opinion on the Shatner and Reeves/Stevens stories? And should I persue individual Reeves/Stevens novels if I liked them?

3. KRAD

Why thank you! I'm quite proud of that book....

Not really my cuppa, but they're good at what they are. And I'd recommend pretty much all of the R-S's solo work, in particular Federation and Memory Prime.

4. Emperor-Tiberius

I have read a lot of praises for FEDERATION... I guess I'll check that one too.

And to be clear, I enjoy the Shatner books - if anything, they unkill Kirk, in a silly way maybe, but no sillier than his death in GEN. Plus, I enjoy the continuity involved by the Reeves/Stevens, and also other various aspects.

Of course I do consider your work, from what I have read and Q-Squared, superb literature, I do find them a lot of fun... Would you say they're bad, though? I think ASHES OF EDEN, SPECTRE and CAPTAIN'S GLORY were particularly good. What do you say?

PS: I wish THE ART OF THE IMPOSSIBLE was made, in some sort of way. Its THAT good. Then again, if you must know me, I wish all ST novels I have to have been canon. Except for ENGINES OF DESTINY - THAT was dreadful, what do you think?

NOTE: Sorry if I bore you terribly with my questions and all... Its not all that often that I can find a ST writer in these forums... Much less, a good one!

5. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Oh, we have lots of those :)

6. KRAD

Like I said, not my thing. *shrug*

Well, thanks, but TAOTI would be just about impossible (pardon the pun) to film because the actors are all the wrong ages -- or, in the cases of Mark Lenard and John Colicos, dead. :) I suppose you could do it as an animated feature, but then you're back to the dead problem with Colicos and Lenard (and yes, I know other people could do Kor and Sarek, and that in fact James Doohan did Kor's voice in "The Time Trap" on TAS, but it just wouldn't be the same).

Not bored at all, but there are lots of Trek authors in this forum.....

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Well, Ben Cross could do Sarek's voice. Not sure who could do Kor... James Callis? ;)

8. Emperor-Tiberius

Sorry if I seemed to be persistent in getting an answer out of you there. But I wanna ask, one last thing:

Does your "Articles of the Federation" contradict the Shatnerverse (I truly hate that term, you know) novels, as far as "Captain's Blood" and "Captain's Glory" are concerned? It won't really matter, cause if I buy the book I will only be interested in a good story, but I would've appreciated some 'heads-up' about it, as I have, sorta, formulated my own continuity of what happened in Star Trek and all.

Oh, did I mention that "Art of the Impossible" is part of it? :D

CGI animation wouldn't be out of the question, IMO. I could see it happen.

Anywho, even if its moot to discuss, it is certainly a novel I would've been interested in seeing.

Question: With the new film coming up and all, do you think that further novels from the TNG/DS9/VOY era will be made? I just wonder, as the new film may be set in an entirely new timeline/universe. What do you predict will be the future of that era of Star Trek novels will be?

Hey, like I said, I'm new to this. Besides for one-two Shatnerverse threads and a Q-Squared thread I made, I don't much frequent around.

Glad to know that, though. Great, in fact! :D

9. KRAD

Well, Articles is consistent with the Titan books and, from what I understand, the Captain's Whozits trilogy isn't entirely consistent with Titan. *shrug* Either way, I doubt there are any active contradictions. Not really much overlap there either way...

I don't think anything significant is going to change. I can tell you that further novels in the 24th-century (and the 22nd, for that matter) will be told, as they are planned and scheduled for 2009 and beyond. :) The only thing that might change is TOS novels, but how much and in what way has yet to be announced.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Right. The third Captain's ____ book shows Titan making its first-ever first contact with a new race sometime in 2381, while in the Titan book series, the ship has made quite a few first contacts by mid-2380. Also, I think the second book in the trilogy shows Titan still involved in Romulan reconstruction months after it ended that mission and went exploring in the TTN series.

Also, I believe the first book in the trilogy conflicts with the DS9 Relaunch on the question of when/whether Bajor joins the Federation.

11. terpette

terpette Commander Red Shirt

Nah, we'll just recast them, then redesign Trek from the ground-up. Seems to be the new formula for dealing with Trek in Hollywood.

Oh, did I say that out loud?

Seriously, though... if this new Trek movie manages not to tank, I wonder if there will be any nibbles on doing something with any of the books or book series. I'd rather see a Corps of Engineers movie or Titan than a rehash of past history.

Karen