Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

That is awesome. I can't wait to see all of it put together on the big screen! :D

2. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, are you suggesting, I don't know, something similar..?

[​IMG]

Yes. Because every working woman knows that she must show more skin possible. And this outfit it's so practical when you are covered in slime!

3. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Why the orange stripes on the uniforms? It might make sense if they were working alongside the road or something, but here they're just an eyesore.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Many first responder and services personnel wear reflective stripes. Often outlined with stripes of various colors.

5. Ryan8bit

Yeah, they wear them because they're on the streets and need to be visible. What's the reason for Ghostbusters?

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe someone had the bright idea that they'd need to be visible to traffic if they do ghostbusting work on the streets at night. I seem to remember ghostbusters working on streets at night before....

7. Nerys Myk

What he said.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's the fact that they're orange. They kind of look odd that way and don't really compliment the rest of the colour scheme. Now if they were red reflective stripes, they'd go with the rest of the Ghostbusters motif.

9. Ryan8bit

Red might be better, but I think part of it is the horizontal stripes too.

And no, I don't imagine ghostbusting would be done in traffic routinely enough to warrant reflective material, if really at all.

10. Nerys Myk

Firefighters have horizontal stripes on the jackets they wear. Not sure how many fires involve traffic.

11. CorporalCaptain

Colors towards the green area of the spectrum have better visibility than red, and orange scores really well in terms of color visibility at a distance, with fluorescence enhancing visibility in daylight conditions. It's why emergency roadsigns are in fluorescent orange, and why fluorescent orange is commonly used in road crew work vests. The other choice would be lime green, which is even further from red.

Fluorescent orange would be the material most widely available for ghostbusters on a budget to pick up as surplus, certainly more commonly available than red material. In other words, the use of red would compromise safety somewhat and also be harder and more expensive for them to acquire.

It's as if the filmmakers actually know what they're doing. :wtf:

*insert "The More You Know" meme here*

This fire department uses the lime green stripes: http://www.ci.san-marino.ca.us/342/Firefighting-Clothes.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe they're re-purposed for story reasons.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

"Hey, who told you to stop cutting? Somebody tell you to stop cutting?!"

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Let's say --hypothetically-- you're heading down the street to confront an 8,000 year old naked extra-dimensional Sumerian god covered in bubble bath, and the building that's a portal to its dimension is erupting in otherworldly black clouds that shroud the street in darkness. You get swallowed up by the road after an unexpected New York earthquake and the other first responders need to go looking for you with their flashlights. Do you a) want high visibility reflectors on your Ghostbusting jumpsuit, or b) not want them?

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNuG25oq_b0[/yt]

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering that the originals had unlicensed nuclear accelerators that they could barely aim properly, I'd imagine that everyone would want to be alerted to their presence at all times. Warning stripes would indicate danger ahead.

RGB also had the Ghostbusters doing battle wherever there was trouble, including plenty of busting on streets, intersections, and crowded areas. They even did fought a statue in the middle of Rockefeller Center's ice rink.

By the way, I love the fact that we're referring to the Ghostbusters as first responders. Yeah, I know they're a business, but they're also heroes out for the public safety. If there's a fire, you get firefighters. A medical emergency means getting EMTs. And if there's something strange in the neighborhood, well, you know how that goes. Maybe down the line, 911 would one day call them for you.

16. CorporalCaptain

Oh, that too! Plus, I'd think it would help them locate each other while proton beams are getting fired. It wouldn't do to fry their own.

17. Locutus of Bored

Can you imagine how many ghosts must need to be busted in the New York City subway system and public services tunnels for water, power, gas, sewage, flood control, etc? There's an entire extra city of three centuries worth of multi-level labyrinthine tunnels beneath New York. I'd want some high visibility reflectors on my suit.

18. CorporalCaptain

Yep. I seem to recall ghostbustin' activity happening underground, too, in one of the films, down in the subway no less! :wtf:

19. Locutus of Bored

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

If orange stripes are the biggest gripe people have then they must be doing something right with this movie lol.