STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Wasn't Gary on Spongebob?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Rth just updated for Thursdays numbers. Looks like Hangover 3 is doing very badly!

Hangover 3 is going to be making only HALF the amount of the second movie at this rate.

STID barely dropped form yesterday, which is good news!

3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

If HO3 tanks then it just shows how crowded May is. TA gave a much bigger boost to IM3 than most people thought too.

Though it's possible Trek could beat it still I guess, though you always need to count the budget in these things. Saying that, somehow Hangover 3 has a budget of 100m...

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nah, HO3 is tanking because of how bad the second Hangover movie was. Most people HATED it. Doesn't help that HO3 is getting even worst reviews.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

To compare the movies on their first days:

Hangover 2 made 31.6 Million
    Hangover 3 made 11 Million

Awful! :eek:

6. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let's just hope Trek 3 doesn't follow that trend!

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, both Hangovers had their first full day in theaters on a Thursday, so it's a fair comparison.

I hope people realize STID isn't doing THAT bad as a sequel.

There is a good chance STID is beating Hangover this weekend!

8. Borgminister

Let's hope...!

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

STiD needs a $10 million Friday to set it up for a $45 million 4-day weekend. An $11 million Friday could carry it to as much as $50 million.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

From Nikki

Great start for Fast 6. Not exactly sure what this means for STID yet.

11. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Best case scenario is for people just showing up at a theatre (w/o advanced tickets) see the sell-outs of F&F6 and pick another movie (hopefully STiD). Also depending on the weather this Memorial Day weekend - if its rainy for instance - a lot of families might opt to go to the movies instead and that could also be a last minute decision.

12. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here in the South and in the South West - it's outdoor weather. NE and Midwest, perhaps a movie day.

[​IMG]

13. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The search for STID in IMAX in Brazil, is fantastic. More than 20 available theaters and many crowded: São Paulo, Curitiba, Rio de Janeiro, Fortaleza, Recife, Brasilia, São Luiz, Campinas, big cities. The first exhibition in IMAX was on May 18th. Now being announced for May 25th and May 30th. All IMAX theaters realized the success this last weekend and now want to release the film as well. We, site Trek Brazilis, are helping, via facebook and twitter, with links to buy tickets. STID in 2-D will open June 14th. I think we'll have a surprise box office. Unfortunately, no one from "Supreme Court" or cast will come here to make a marketing, but I'm very happy because the fans are doing their own part.. :techman:

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well I personally am hoping for $35-38m 3-day and $45-$48m 4-day which would be great.

STID will make $5m on Thursday. I think it will go to around $9m-$10m on Friday for the figures above.

Assuming $5m Thursday and then the same percent increases of ST09 on memorial weekend I get.

$9.89 Fri
    $14.26 Sat
    $14.25 Sun
    $10.89 Mon

But I wonder if this time around the increased competition will make those figures drop a little so I hope for $45m for 4 Days.

15. Borgminister

Shouldn't the extended IMAX run help too, especially if well-advertized?

16. Flake

True. I forgot about this until now but I think Trek09 lost its IMAX screens to Night At the Museum on Memorial Day weekend. So perhaps the fact that Trek goes into this weekend with IMAX will help keep the numbers toward the higher end of expectations?

The competition this time is more difficult though.

Its hard to predict the box office! Thats for sure.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Remember that Memorial Day weekend was Star Trek's third weekend, not its second.

18. Flake

Yes but I think different weekends at the BO mean more to its Friday increase than the weekend number. Trek09 second Friday increased 109% from the Thursday. I think this is too high here so I chose to go with the Memorial Weekend increases.

I think it'll be an increase of between 75-100% over Thursdays number. Hopefully its toward the higher end.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

That range is too low for the Friday increase. Even Battleship got an 81.9% increase. STiD's Friday increase should be at least 95-100% and could go as high as 125-130%. It's not the Friday increase that's likely to be lower for a second weekend than a third weekend, but rather that the Friday-to-weekend multiplier is likely to be in the range of 4.5 to 4.6 for the 4-day weekend rather than the exceptionally high weekend multiplier Star Trek scored for the 4-day in its third weekend.

20. Flake

I say 75% because thats what some of the Star Wars prequels got, 75%, 98% and 71%.