What's up with Weller's character?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Franklin, Dec 24, 2012.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    <BIG rear-end yank>

I'm guessin' that by the end of the movie He beats the crap outta kirk for getting his daughter pregnant.

:techman:

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Simple he plays Peter Weller. Like in Futurama his head is in a jar. Though given its him he mostly will be Roboweller. his casting alone revealed his character.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw the trailer to that movie and I think its kind of freaky how much Weller looks like Matt Smith in it.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I understand how you might get that impression from seeing how he's dressed when he first appears, but aside from the tan jacket/red bow tie combo and deep-set eyes, I don't think I'd say they look that much alike.

If the trailer's all you've seen, though, you should probably watch the movie. Not big-budget, but a great cast, lots of fun, and some things work on more than one level.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Its also his hair style.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got to agree, Peter Weller does look a lot like Matt Smith in that trailer. And yes, this is one time when I am serious.

7. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Both have that weird cheekbones thing going for them.

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I almost forgot all about this cute little "Easter Egg" that was in TNG until I was watching an old episode on Netflix -- the episode was Up the Long Ladder (the episode with the Irish-descended colonists who set up refugee camps in the cargo bays).

The Easter Egg I'm talking about in that episode was a reference to the "SS Buckaroo Banzai". While Picard and Riker are searching the computer for certain spaceships from 22nd-century Earth, this appears on the Picard's computer monitor (I circled the entry to make it easier to see):

[​IMG]

A question arose earlier about the idea that supposedly Peter Weller's STID character has his own ship...
    ...Well, there's your answer. ;)

Fans of that cult classic film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension! will also get a chuckle out of the name of the captain listed on the monitor and the nature of their mission. I would have never caught this easter egg myself, but I remember reading about it on Memory Alpha.

Sources:
    Memory Alpha entry for "SS Buckaroo Banzai":
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/SS_Buckaroo_Banzai

Enlarged source image for image above:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/SS_...itor,_Earth_starships,_Up_the_Long_Ladder.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So, when does it arrive at Planet 10?

10. Jackson_Roykirk

Oh, what the fruck; I'll bite...

"Real Soon!"

11. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Grandson of John Frederick Paxton?

12. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hearing some chatter around that people think Weller might be playing Khan, not Cumberbatch. Thoughts on this possibility? From strictly a looks standpoint, he does have a certain likeness to Ricardo Montalban, I think. This could be the surprise twist maybe?

13. Jackson_Roykirk

14. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

I don’t want to start the Trek and Nolan’s batman comparison again but there is a good chance that John Harrison might be what Bane was in TDKR and Peter Weller's character might be what Talia Al Ghul was in TDKR.

So in other words John Harrison might just be a puppet and Weller’s character will be the big bad who will only be effective in the last 10 minutes of the film.

TDKR was an average film at best in my opinion so it will suck (a bit) if the plot is similar to the plot in into darkness in terms of the villian.

15. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No worries, there is another comparison we can make. Weller is The Emperor and Cumberbatch is Vader. :devil:

16. Jackson_Roykirk

Yeah, but TDKR's problem wasn't the plot, it was the execution of that plot, and the way the film got mired down in its own self-indulgence during the middle third that meandered relatively aimlessly....

...What I mean is that Nolan added a lot of useless crap in the middle of the film to artificially lengthen it. It would have been a much more entertaining film if he tightened it up, and disposed of the slack.

To avoid the risk of pissing off the mods, I'll get myself back on topic. I guess that could be the case (Harrison being Weller's puppet), but it seems they are pumping up Cumberbatch's character so much that it would be a let down if that happened.

Although, if that does happen, a great twist would be the double-cross -- i.e., Weller may think Harrison was his puppet, but Harrison was actually just leading him along the entire time, and Harrison had a bigger agenda.

That may not be a terribly original plot twist, but if done right it could be an effective twist.

17. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

You hit the nail on the end when you said that they are pumping Cumberbatch's charcater. Cumberbatch is perhaps the most popular actor in the film right now.

its so funny because Nolan an his buddies did the same with Bane's charcater,it was a little dumb when he turned out to be Talia's pet and that was why I said it will suck a bit if John Harrison is only a puppet like Bane.

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Harrison is clearly a puppet of Khan.

19. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Does that make him, Pup-Khan ?

And would he be 'buttered up' by the end of the movie??

:vulcan:

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Countless of movies, tv-shows, novels, comics, games and what not have used this plot. Why would it have to be compared to TDKR?