"Out of character moments" in TNG ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by at Quark's, Sep 12, 2015.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Although we did see the real Worf just before this when they tried to hold off the Enterprise crew with a discharged phaser.

2. velour

velour Commander Red Shirt

Data acted completely out of character when he was confronted by Hobson in "Redemption2".

This is the dialogue between the two:

DATA: By order of Starfleet, I hereby take command of this vessel. Please note the time and date in the ship's log.
    HOBSON: Excuse me, sir. I'd like to request a transfer.
    DATA: May I ask why?
    HOBSON: I don't believe I'd be a good first officer for you.
    DATA: Your service record to date suggests that you would perform that function adequately.
    HOBSON: No, no, no, that's not what I mean. I don't think that I would be a good first officer for you.
    DATA: Why?
    HOBSON: Frankly, sir, I don't believe in your ability to command this ship. You're a fellow officer and I respect that, but no one would suggest that a Klingon would make a good ship's counsellor or that a Berellian could be an engineer. They're just not suited for those positions. By the same token, I don't think an android is a good choice to be captain.
    DATA: I understand your concerns. Request denied.

After Data said "request denied", he turned away from Hobson, ignored him and went about his business. That is totally not Data.

The "real" Data would want to explore the matter further. Data would want to know more about Hobson's motives and would engage in a longer conversation with Hobson, asking Hobson more questions. Data would want to know more in order to get a better understanding of humans and their motives.

On a tangential matter, Hobson was right. Data is not suitable to command a ship. Data doesn't get it. He doesn't get human behavior. It is crucial that a commander understand the people that he is leading.

In the ep prior to "Redemption", "In Theory", when Data asked Guinan for advice about dating. She responded, "don't look at me". Data literally turned his head around so as to not look at her. Data just doesn't get it, that in addition to simply not understanding human relationships. He is not command material. His performance as commander didn't seem particularly Data-like either.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Data's behaviour towards Hobson wasn't Dataish at all near the end of the episode where he "got angry" and yelled him to fire.

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I always thought of that as Data's "command mode", something he did to emulate what a human captain might have done in the situation.

Maybe he had a sub-routine similar to the Voyager's ECH based on an amalgam of different captain's tendencies.

Any captain would have gotten pissed with that level of insubordination and yelled at Hobson.

5. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Erm, I'm not from a different era but I am from a different part of the world. What is a "homemaker"? An unemployed person?

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I disagree. Data knew that the blockade was the one thing that mattered in that situation. He knew Hobson would be able to rally the crew if Data had difficulty with it, and knew that if Hobson saw he had no choice but to remain and do his job, that he would do it. In this one particular case, Data didn't need to know people, he just needed to know one person; Hobson. And he used that knowledge to get Hobson to do what Data, and the blockade, needed him to do.

7. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Here in the US, a "homemaker" is most often associated with a woman, usually with children, who doesn't work outside the home. Different subsets of society view it with different degrees of respect or admiration. In a small percentage of cases, the homemaker can be a man who's wife or partner is the breadwinner (person working to earn an income) while the man cares for the home and family.

8. TS-1838-SWATH

TS-1838-SWATH Commander Red Shirt

Yes indeed that one does really stand out

9. Treadwell

Treadwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

In "A Matter of Honor", at the end of the scene where Riker hits the other guy and takes his place as first officer, there is a pause as he looks off heroically, and then lets out his breath and starts to step away. On first viewing I bought it and it works, but after that it became clear to me that during the pause, the director called "cut", and the sigh is Frakes dropping character, the take finished. But it worked so they used it.

10. Scotchy

Scotchy Commander Red Shirt

Data rolling the dice in the Royale.

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^How so? Data had that weird grin he had the first two seasons. He had that smile when he picked up Wesley from the creek on the Holodeck during Encounter at Farpoint.

Using Data to help win the game made sense. He could manipulate the dice to increase the chances of favorable results.