When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    And Taylor Momsen's band(The Pretty Reckless) could do a song or 2 for the Supergirl soundtrack. :D I am loving this! :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT3KPKR00qo[/yt]

Make Me Wanna Die | The Pretty Reckless

[add] Taylor Momsen is a really talented and beautiful young lady. :bolian:

2. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Now this I could see! :bolian:

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I know what and who Power Girl is. In short, she's Supergirl from an alternate universe.

What I didn't understand is that you meant the whole movie would take place in the alt-universe, instead of having Supergirl cross-over to "our" universe. I am still not sure how well that would fly (no pun intended). I think audiences would go "Where's Superman? How come they didn't at least mention Superman?"

How would it be addressed that this was an alternate universe w/o the film addressing it as such or some sort of cross over? Otherwise it would just look like "Hey, we made a Superman movie, but made Superman female!"

Personally, if they ever wanted to make a Supergirl movie, I would suspect the most promising way to do it is to introduce her in a Superman movie and then have a spin-off (kind of like how they crafted the Electra movie - only hopefully with a higher quality product).

That would probably be the best way to introduce Power Girl on Smallville if they wanted to.

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly. :)

They could introduce the concept in trailers, with a voiceover that explicitly states the "what-if" scenario. Then, they could have some throwaway in-joke line in the movie itself:

A female friend of Kara's: "Ever wonder what your life would be like if you'd been conceived as a boy?"
    Kara: "Er, no... why do you ask?"
    Friend: "Oh, nothing. Just one of those 'what-ifs' from my Brain Benders page-a-day calendar. Hey, look, back to the movie's plot again."

But people would always wonder where Supes was, and why he can't help her, and if they do team up, well, one full-powered Kryptonian is strong enough, having two in one live-action movie would be even tougher to pull off. Same goes for Power Girl and basically any JLA featuring Supes.

Post S3-Smallville is dead to me, so it's now a moot/retro-hypothetical point as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Warner Bros has moratoriumed any future productions with a female lead. This after the WW DTDVD didn't sell well enough fast enough.

And yes, it is animated, but do you really expect they're gonna put even MORE money at risk for a LA version?

You don't see Marvel doing any female led LA super-movies either.

I DO think they might be able to get Supergirl in as a supporting character MAYBE if they get the core Superman franchise back off the ground, but it's a long shot.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also I'm not quite sure how Super GIRL tarnishes Super MAN's thing as the Last SON of Krypton. ;)

7. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Dilution of concept. At one point in the Silver Age, there was Superman, Supergirl, a Super dog, a Super cat, a whole bottle city of miniature Kryptonians (Kandor), and if memory serves even a Super horse. (and that's not counting all the villains in the Phantom Zone).

It's hard to play the "last of my kind" trope when, frankly, you AREN'T "the last".

8. Gaith

^^ I'm not positive, but I think he was kidding. ;)

9. Broccoli

Sorry, still don't think it'll work. Your approach, while inherently okay, would look too much like a gimmick to average movie goers.

Having a line to explain why Supes can't help (as did the Helen Slater Supergirl movie did) would be much easier to pull off and more likely to be accepted by movie goers than having a needlessly complicated alternative universe (that isn't directly referred to as an Alt-Universe) scenario.

Terrific. Doesn't mean that wouldn't be a good way to incorporate Power Girl on the show.

10. Gaith

Well, fair enough, I'll take a compliment. :)

I grant you that no major movie has tried a "what-if" scenario of the sort that I propose, although I'd argue that the modest success of The Incredible Hulk, rebooting the character so soon after Hulk, suggests that it could be feasible. It would certainly be interesting to see how the general public would react. Given all this Avengers business, they might speculate to no end about a crossover movie uniting the universes. But until a major "what-if" along these lines, there's really no way of knowing, imo. :)

11. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

^^^THIS!!:techman:

That's exactly why I mentioned Miss Robb and & Miss Fanning, because both are 16-17, blond, and fairly good actresses for their age. Of course, newcomers are also accepted as well....

Sorry, but as beautiful as she is, I don't want anybody from Smallville in any future Superman or Supergirl movie. It's also time for that show to finish up and be done with itself as well.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  12. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'd rather see Stargirl than Supergirl if we're talking blonde teen superhero girls; more interesting character and powers IMO. Plus you don't have the whole "Oh, it's female Superman" thing. And I could see Robb (to use one of the OP's examples) working a lot better for Star than Kara.

If it helps, she's better known (or at least should be better known) for her work on Friday Night Lights. :techman:

13. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Supergirl film would be a great idea:bolian: and i would defidently go see it to the cinema!
    Along with a good story, the casting seems to be one of the most difficult things, when it comes to superheroine films
    ( Wonder Woman, for exsample..like we talked about in Gaiths thread)
    Finding someone who is 18-20 years old with the looks and the acting skills is a problem with Supergirl.
    Though, I would be personally fine with Laura Vandervoort from Smallville for the role:)
    She doesnt seem like a bad actress, plus she seems very down to earth and smart..at least judging from the interviews ive seen:techman:

I know Im drumming the acting skills drum a lot, but just think what happened with Halle Berry as Catwoman..
    or what they did to the character of Dinah in the horrible Birds of Prey TV-show:rolleyes:
    I mean, do we want Supergirl to be a mixture of whiny teenager and a bitch...or what?:confused: :shifty: AKA how do we portray the character on the screen?

Here is an nice interview with Helen Slater, who played Supergirl in the 1984 film:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?id=23956&page=article
    Personally I think she really nailed the role back then, did great job..and made an iconic image of the character,
    like Reeves did to Superman or Carter to Wonder Woman:cool:

14. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

For Powergirl: Elisha Cuthbert!

15. Broccoli

Well, there is a difference between a reboot and a "what-if" story.

I dunno, my thinking behind why a "what-if" story would fail is that it would basically be an "Elseworlds" story. And, lets face it, there is a reason why most of those tales only last one issue/mini-series.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You forgot Beppo the Super-Monkey!

Although, to be fair, neither Streaky the Super-Cat nor Comet the Super-Horse were from Krypton. Streaky was an ordinary Earth cat who got powers after being exposed to kryponite (or something like that) while Comet was a former centaur who had been transformed into a Super-Horse by magic.

Really.

17. Gaith

^^ Okay, but most movie franchises/would-be franchises could be also called "one issue/mini-series"... :)

Dusty, hombre, if I'm going to fork over eleven hard-earned greenbacks for a Supergirl movie, I'm going to want to feast my eyes without guilt, and I'm sure I'm not alone. So screw the comics, I say, and give us a young woman. :techman:

18. Broccoli

Fuck you,
    Silver Age!

:p

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

An attractive one, with a hot bod. I'm not familiar with Robb, but according to the pics I saw of Fanning this morning at Zodcaps, she's not in the running.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No 18, hell no 16 year old from the modern world not to consider some distant alien world of super science is going to call herself "girl" unless she's trying to be sarcastic like the Legion does, hells, for any female to willing refer to themselves as a girl rather than a woman they'd have to be 12 or younger.

Hayden would be in a movie called Supergnome before she's in a movie called Supergirl. There's nothing wrong with short women but the physicality of Supergirl is an archetype for sure.

Dakota can't be Supergirl because she's already been Wonder Woman. If that doesn't discredit her, then how about this... Once apon a time she was (young) Ally Mcbeal, and it's near impossible to wash that sort of bitchiness off ones soul.

How old is Elle Fanning these days?