Should the Borg be the villain in Trek 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 22, 2013.

?

borg for Trek 3

1. yes.

20.7%
  2. no.

70.7%
  3. save them for ST 4 (if there is one)

8.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Borg? NO!

But it would put the cherry on this steaming pile of excrement we call a trilogy of movies.

2. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh.

3. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agree. Not a Borg, not a Q, not a Ferengi. Nada!

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Stay classy. :rolleyes:

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

The problem is that if TOS starts using the heavy hitters of TNG instead of its own, there won't be much for a TNG reboot to play with for their own films.

"Hey, let's use the Borg! Picard gets captured just like in that classic episode!"
    "But we already did that with Kirk."
    "Oh, right. How bout the Cardassians?"
    "We already used them too."
    "Oh... Hmm... Well what do even have to work with?"
    "There's the Ferengi..."
    "..."
    "..."
    "How bout Lore?"
    "NEMESIS already redid that though."
    "Didn't stop us from using Khan again."
    "OH OH!! I know! Lore and Khan TEAM UP."
    "MAKE IT SO!!!"

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's the third movie in the series. Time to stand or fall on their own.

7. BillJ

The TOS films had no issue continuing to use the Klingons even after TNG started using them. TNG had been on the air for five seasons by the time The Undiscovered Country came out.

Imagine all the great stories that would've never existed if the same attitude existed about TOS elements when TNG started?

If they have a good story, bring on the Borg!

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I would love to see the Borg movie concept that Bill J shared. I have an idea that may satiate those wanting the Klingons involved. The movie can end up with the Klingons and the Federation joining forces against a mutual enemy. Maybe have a few Klingon outposts destroyed early on in the film along with a few Federation outposts. The two sides are investigating while blaming each other but they eventually realize the dangerous enemy they both face. It would be a nice play on the long standing alliances the Klingons and the Federation had in during the prime timeline.

9. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I would totally accept that for ST3 I think that would be awesome. The Narada had Borg technology in it that would have broadcast to the Borg a lot earlier in the timeline and would be a decent way of including them rather than just shoehorning them in willy nilly. A simple flashback to ST09 showing the transmission travelling across space at the end of the intro with it fading into the title card like the volcanic ashes into the stars in STID.

If they really can't think of a better, more original idea for ST3 then I wouldn't say no to that.

10. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is awesome, and kind of sums up a lot of fans around here:

Fans on Borg during TNG=Awesome! But they look fake!

Fans on Borg during FC= Even Awesomer! THey look more real. But I wish they weren't so zombie-like.

Fans on Borg during Voyager=They suck! Over exposure! Voyager reduced them from menace to a second rate power! 7 of 9 in a catsuit is sexist! 7 of 9 has taken over the show! Fire B&B! Worst TREK EVAR!

Fans on Borg during Enterprise=They suck even worse! This screws up continuity! Help! Continuity Police! How derivative! Burn B&B at the stake for overusing the Borg! Reboot Star Trek! You can't have Borg outside the TNG-era!!!??? How gosh! Even WORSE than Voyager!

2004-2009: Sigh, I wish we had Star Trek, but with NEW IDEAS!

Hither comes JJ Abrams, and the Star Trek 2009 reboot: Trek fans rejoice! Yay! NEW, Fresh ideas! New Uncharted territory, while paying homage to TOS! YAAAAAAY!!!

STID: JJ recycles Khan, but that's OK because JJ=God. JJ can do no wrong!

Star Trek 3, JJ rendition: Fans= WE NEED MORE BORG!!! Screw Continuity!

11. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

If TNG is as worthless and deservedly forgotten as AbramsTrek fans keep telling us, they shouldn't need or want TNG's villains.

12. Smellmet

Exactly. I see these movies as much as as celebration of Star Trek as anything else. I never moaned about the borg in any of the iterations of it, I enjoyed it when I knew there was a borg episode coming up. As much as I like a new story, deep down I'm loving all the throwbacks, easter eggs and new takes on old stuff.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again, the Borg done with modern effects and portrayed as an unstoppable plague of locusts would be absolutely awesome.

13. BillJ

This is non-sense. I want a good movie. If they can make a good movie with the Borg, why not? It's been a decade plus since they've made an appearance of any kind.

No one has said this.

14. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm holding out hope for 'A Taste of Armageddon' writ-large. Totally false hope, but I'm clinging to it all the same. ;)

15. BillJ

That would be awesome as "...Armageddon" is my personal favorite episode of Trek. But I'm still holding out hope that my big-screen treatment of "The Omega Glory" get made!

Call me, Bob!

16. Smellmet

If they made a totally original story with absolutely zero connection or nods to canon, people on here would still be moaning like fuck. Especially if it sucked.

I just want to be entertained with a Trek flavor. That is what JJTrek represents to me.

17. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

J.D. Payne has said he'd like to see a story with moral ambiguity where there can be real debate both on screen and in the audience about what the right decisions are. The above stories at least had themes that fit that bill. Frankly, I always thought Trek was at its best when it did this. I also liked it when they humanized the antagonist. Even in STID, Khan was not a totally black-and-white villain.

The Borg were interesting and unique in Trek because they were the "anti-Trek" antagonist. They were humanoid, but totally amoral. They had an almost mindless relentlessness. There was no reasoning with them. There was no identifying with them. Nothing about them was understandable from a human point of view. In a universe that prizes individual worth, they stole that from beings. They were merciless and unstoppable creatures of horror.

To that end, they also seem out of place and a bit too dark for TOS's 50th anniversary. I'd rather see an antagonist with whom Kirk and Spock must match wits. Someone they can go back and forth with. A more traditional TOS-style foe. The type that ran the gamut from Daystrom to Mudd to Kor to Trelane to even Apollo and the Horta.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  18. Smellmet

As long as there's no more time travel I'd be happy

19. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh my goodness, so it is true that different people can have different opinions? :eek: That's all kinds of awesome indeed! :p

I must say I am a little offended that you compare JJ to a sloppy artist like God. When God was creating the universe, JJ was running around him laughing. "Dude, this is worse than The Phantom Menace, are you sure you don't me to let you borrow some ideas from Fringe? You are my friend, I so don't want you to get embarrassed when I put out Star Trek 3..."

20. Smellmet

JJ Trek is a Burger King Whopper to all other Trek's 7 course meal... It really is as simple as that to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.