Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

If she's caught with some random hunky guy in the back of the bus, only then will her journey to the Kaylee side will be complete. ;)

But that can't happen. You know... Fitz and all.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It shows a nice coordination between the writers. Last week was the reveal that Coulson knew something is up, this week seems to let out a bit more of that not only through Coulson asking about his file, but through that line. It's clear they have a plan.

Although I feel bad because I keep routing for the season to be over so I can find out what's going on. 22 episodes is a long time from now. Does anyone know if there's going to be a break or if they run it straight through (for the show's own sake, I hope it's straight through).

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Heh.

Finished it a few minutes ago, I was on a big time-shift.

Again, very good episode and interesting tag scene.

Look forward to next week, looks like it'll be an interesting and serious take on the aftermath of Thor: Dark World. I was sort of expecting a more light-hearted episode with them trying to capture the Jotunheim rancor.

Like all shows I suspect it'll take a hiatus over the winter/holidays.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  4. Agent Richard07

Is the Coulson thing going to be a season-long arc? I was hoping that we'd get an answer sooner.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I would be interested in seeing what revelations we get and what plot lines are wrapped up in ep.13, which was the original commitment from ABC.

6. Agent Richard07

The mix of spy thriller with magical devices reminds me of Alias even though I didn't watch that show.

7. Alidar Jarok

Dunno. The pace of revelations is fairly quick, but it also seems like the kind of thing that gets drawn out.

It's also possible whatever "secret" about him gets revealed earlier if there is a need to "resolve" something about it (which can be his ongoing arc after that).

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The C-17 Hovers.
    The C-17 HOVERS?!!? :lol:
    That at least explains the extra wing and engines. Need to hold the tail up.

Miss Henstridge reminds me of Keira Knightly in certain angles.

9. Alidar Jarok

Everything belonging to SHIELD hovers.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

SHIELD better be careful with the Baroness having infiltrated their facility and all.

Another surprisingly good episode, hopefully we're on a continuing roll here.

I feel like taking a trip to Tahiti, I hear it's a magical place.

That's what I thought too, I didn't even bat an eye until this thread. :lol:

Probably not from the side... EDIT: Looking online, maybe more than I thought...

BTW, interesting IMDB pic. :drool:

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This was pretty solid, with some good character-building as well as organization-building for SHIELD. We're definitely learning more about Fitz and Simmons now that they're not always joined at the hip. And I liked mixing up the interactions. Skye-Simmons is a fun pairing, and Ward-Fitz worked pretty well too. Nice to see Fitz showing a stronger, more independent side, though I got the sense he was maybe overcompensating for not being the one who saved Jemma last week. And it was interesting seeing Coulson mediate between Skye and Hand, sticking to the party line with Skye but being an advocate for his team with Hand. And I see that he's finally starting to realize something's wrong with his impulse to parrot "It's a magical place" every time Tahiti comes up, and to dig into the question. Oh, and Coulson and May's "talk" where she didn't say a word was fun.

When Coulson came to May after telling Skye about the female SHIELD agent dropping her off, I thought for a moment that we were about to get the revelation that May was Skye's mother. But I guess the agent/possible mother was the corpse in the photo.

I think that, with the appearance of Jasper Sitwell (whose name I keep mixing up with Farley Stillwell, the guy who created the Scorpion), the show has now featured every SHIELD comics character who's appeared in the movies and isn't technically a superhero (like Black Widow or Hawkeye). Plus we get a comics character who hasn't been in the movies, Victoria Hand.

That sandwich sounded really good. Tragic that it had to go to waste.

Oh, and there was a bit of foreshadowing for Captain America: The Winter Soldier when Skye said the Hub was impressive and Simmons replied, "Wait until you see the Triskelion." I gather that's the primary SHIELD ground facility in the comics, and it's been suggested that it will appear in CA:TWS. I take this as confirmation.

12. Turtletrekker

^The Triskelion was seen in the CA:TWS trailer.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

All the moral ambiguity, SHIELD's shadowy nature, and talk of trusting the system reminded me a lot of some of the stuff we saw in the Winter Soldier trailer (SHIELD apparently building up a helicarrier fleet, "This isn't freedom. This is fear."). It really feels like the show is building up to an event that will play into The Winter Soldier somehow.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's not a C-17, it's simply a SHIELD-specific/Marvel craft that looks like a C-17. And it wouldn't need the tail jets to stay stable when hovering since the wing jets would be at or neat the center-of gravity which would keep the plane level when hovering. The tail jets are either back-ups to allow for extended flight times (allowing the main jets to be powered down to cool) or simply another feature added to make The Bus more non-C-17ey.

15. Turtletrekker

16. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Bus is officially called a CXD-23, rebuilt by Stark's El Redondo people.

As for a 'Carrier fleet, again, this was implied in the fact that there was a pennant number on the one we saw in Avengers. Just seeing that "64" implied there'd always been more than one of those boats around.

And for Cinema'Verse purposes, the Triskelion looks to be on the Virginia side of the Potomac as opposed to the "Ultimate'Verse" edition being initially in the NYC region.

17. DEWLine

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I know we saw an HQ which was speculated to be the Triskelion, but I'm not sure if we've actually had confirmation that it would be called that. Now we do, if we didn't already.

19. Alidar Jarok

Well yeah, you couldn't have anywhere near as epic an elevator fight scene with DC height restrictions.

20. DEWLine