The Cage cast

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Ronald Held, Jul 10, 2013.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That doesn't mean she had the charisma and talent to carry a TV series, which is what lead actors have to do.

2. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

True. Amazing that's there's still new gossip to be found after all these years though.

3. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

Since we are on the subject of the "The Cage cast" I was reading actor Malachi Throne's biography at the imdb website today and found this (here is the link):

I never knew GR offered the role of Dr. McCoy to Throne or that Throne had coveted the Mr. Spock role in TOS. Does anyone know the source for this?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

4. ZapBrannigan

It's in Throne's STARLOG interview (Issue 190, May 1993).

5. Navigator_NCC2120

Navigator_NCC2120 Captain Captain

Thanks ZapBrannigan. Are there any other sources that can corroborate this, besides Malachi Throne? Herb Solow, Bob Justman, Gene Roddenberry, Leonard Nimoy, etc?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
    /\

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

This is a common misconception. Actually it's still Throne's voice, just electronically raised in pitch, as discussed here:

http://www.startrekhistory.com/cagepage.html

7. ZapBrannigan

Thanks. I used to think it was re-done by Vic Perrin (the Halkan spokesman in "Mirror, Mirror").

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, a lot of people used to think that, and you can still find that claim out there.

9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Malachai Throne as McCoy would have been interesting. I've been watching him in episodes of It Takes A Thief. He shows a lot of personality playing the character of Noah Bain that I think would have worked really well if he'd been McCoy in TOS.

10. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's also been discussed on this board before. It was first made in the first edition of The Star Trek Compendium (but not the following editions).