Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Wow - you actually start with a house in the XBox version? That's no fun! :) Where are the jitters and paranoia of setting up your first quickie sandstone blocks late at night while trying not to attract attention to yourself from some wayward zombies or spiders?

2. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a pile of wooden blocks vaguely making up four walls with no roof rather than a full house. The Xbox version starts with a tutorial that turns off time for awhile so you can get your bearings, create some tools and get set to finish it off pretty quickly.

I jumped 10 feet when I ran into my first skeleton. :lol:

3. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I love how the console version of Minecraft has "training wheels." :lol:

(No offense, Sheep!)

4. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heres the update vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z6c6vExLtTk#!

Love the new cocoa bean pods. (Yaay, cookies for everybody!)

Large Biomes is an okay feature. But lord, does that mean even BIGGER oceans??

But I'm all for the XBox version, even though I'm strictly a pc gamer. Its just a pity that XBoxers can't customize their textures.

Yep. Thats how it starts. Next you'll want to 'pretty up' your house. Then you'll start to get bored, and want to add more features. Build a bed to make nights pass faster, then go mining to build more efficient tools and better weapons. Then you'll start to wonder whats just beyond that hill over there. Then it'll be time to start farming to keep your health up. Next thing you know, you're got yourself a mansion, an airship, or a whole danged city! :)

Welcome to our world. :)

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  5. Sheep

Actually the "training wheels" was one of the reasons I decided to buy the game--specifically the easier crafting where the ingredients are laid out for you for each item you can craft. Call me a simpleton but the last thing I want to do when gaming is break out my laptop to look up how to craft something important like a fence to keep spiders out. Yeah, there's some reward in figuring it out yourself but I'm too old and feeble and don't have time for that. I'd rather spend my time focusing on my blinged-out mansion. :)

6. Robert Maxwell

I actually do wish they'd simplify the crafting system so you don't have to use an outside reference. It's a bit silly that they haven't yet added that to the PC version. They could even just make it an option, so the purists could keep playing as they have been.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope so. Huge oceans are good, but mega oceans would be fantastic! :lol:

I know that large biomes aren't for everybody which is why I'm glad they've made it a world option, but I think that biomes should take time to traverse. It encourages exploration and makes resource gathering more challenging. A desert should be a vast, empty wasteland, forests should be easy to get lost in, and mountains should be an obsticle to cross, not something that can easily be circumnavigated. Larger biomes also make Nether portals more important.

An invisible wall, sadly. :( That kinda kills the Xbox version for me. As you can tell by what I said about biomes, I like huge worlds, and while I know that a 1km² world is pretty big and will probably contain all required resources, it's just too small compared to what I'm used to.

8. Cutter John

Whoa, epic fail.

*hugs his pc*

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That's definitely disappointing, but I suppose they did that to keep the framerate high enough, even in the nether.

As for the crafting, what happens when you want to build something but don't have the required items? Does it show you what you need?

10. TheGodBen

Yeah, it shows you the crafting recipe and the missing ingredients are displayed in red. It would be good to have something like that in the PC version for new players, but I'd probably stick to building things manually.

As for the limited world size, if I were to guess I'd say it's probably something they did to stabilise multiplayer. From the videos I've seen there's no block lag, no missing chunks, and no glitched-out mobs, it's really well polished and optimised compared to the PC version.

11. Robert Maxwell

Let's not forget, the Xbox 360 has only 512MB of RAM. Minecraft is an extremely memory-intensive game. Limiting the world size probably went a long way toward cutting down its memory usage. 1024x1024x128 works out to 134,217,728 blocks, and if they're using 16 bits per block, that works out to 268,435,456 bytes (256MB) for the whole world. It's probably compressed on the hard drive but the game probably loads the whole thing into memory, leaving the other 256MB to remaining game data and the core code. I imagine it took some tight programming to work within those constraints. Probably helped that it wasn't written in Java. :p

12. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

QFT :techman:

13. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Went boating last week and found a nice little set islands to play with.

View from the lava powered lighthouse I made.

[​IMG]

From the Island looking out to lava lighthouse
    [​IMG]

14. Owain Taggart

Yeah, what I said... ;)

It wasn't written in Java? What was it written in? I wonder if they'll eventually do the same thing with the PC version, unless it's XBox specific code they worked with. Java can sometimes work against it as a disadvantage.

15. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I just wish there was a way to automatically generate however many of a crafted item you have the supplies for. It's a pain in the ass trying to create something complex like pistons, because there's a lot of supplies involved and you're always having to refill the crafting squares.

16. TheGodBen

That's something I'm curious about, is the game on the 360 hosted locally? Eight people in one world with only 512MB of memory on the host console is amazing performance for Minecraft. Limiting the world size is understandable under those circumstances, though still disappointing for PC players.

C++ or C#, and it was probably built using Microsoft's XNA toolset.

Xbox games typically don't require too much work to port to Windows, so it could be done, but there'd be issues with it. One of the benefits of programming the game in Java is that it runs on any computer that has the Java Runtime Environment installed, so they only need to code one version for Windows, Linux, and Mac. Sadly, we're probably stuck with Java now, but hopefully merging the singleplayer and multiplayer into one will allow greater optimisation in the future.

17. Owain Taggart

Ahh, I see. Yeah, that's very true. And with the XNA toolset, they likely had to work within some constraints to put out something in the XBL, which is likely another reason for the small map size.

18. Cutter John

Good job on the lighthouse and bridge Saturn! Nicely epic. Hmmm, I suddenly have to urge to build a science lab with a couple of giant vacumn tubes on the roof...

You know, since we have writable books, and starter chests coming up in 1.3, the obvious thing would to put a 'beginners recipe book' in the game and have it appear in the chest.

19. Sheep

Before trying it I was really doubtful splitscreen couch co-op would be THAT significant of an addition to the game. Seven hours later, I'll eat my words. My buddy and I played for that long co-op style last night. Apparently digging through all manner of mines to find rare minerals and hidden chasms feeds into his "collecting" OCD (which also manifests itself in games like Skyrim or anything else that has some sort of gameplay element where you have to find resources), which was handy for me because he dug up a ton of minerals and materials for me to use to build a watchtower on my mansion AND a bridge from said mansion to the Minecraft sign. :wtf: :lol:

Winding down the night he also made a gigantic diving platform that went above the cloud line just to see what would happen if you jumped off. Even on Peaceful mode with no enemies and regenerating health (a.k.a. Minecraft for Dummies) you CAN still die falling on to land. Oops. Much better result with falling into water, though...

I guess I'm officially a convert to the game. :)

20. Cutter John

Hoorah! We gots another one! :D