Why was Kes written off the show?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Kooz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kooz

Kooz Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm re-watching Voyager, and there are few bright spots. One was Kes, but she just got written off the show ("just" being a relative term). Any idea why?

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Both the producers and the studio felt that the character wasn't working. When the character of Seven of Nine was conceived, there was already a sentiment by the studio that there were too many characters on the show as it was (i.e., they needed to trim the budget) and so someone had to go.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

They should have dropped Harry Kim (no disrespect to Garrett Wang), but if I remember correctly, he topped a magazine poll proclaiming him "most attractive man on TV" or some such nonsense. As I understand it, this essentially saved the Ensign's ass!

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

In other words, Jennifer Lien didn't feature enough boob and wasn't ready to wear skintight catsuits.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Actually, it was a case the producers felt the character had run out of steam. Her relationship with Neelix seemed like a good idea in the beginning, but then less so as the series progressed (it was why they started to have her in more scenes with other characters like the Doctor and Tuvok). The initial idea was to have both Seven and Kes on the show, but the studio said no to having ten regular cast members.

6. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

The poll Garrett made it into was People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People.

7. LOKAI of CHERON

I assume that magazine holds particular influence/sway in the States?

8. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've said this before, but how a decision based on looks leaves you keeping Garrett Wang and sacking Jennifer Lien baffles me.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  9. jpch

jpch Commander Red Shirt

Delta Quadrant Borg Queen appartement 8472
    totally agree :)

10. LOKAI of CHERON

Agreed! Although I don't have any particular problem with the Harry Kim character - I would have selected Kes over him in a heartbeat.

11. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, so that's presumably why DS9 was allowed to have Worf, since there was initially only eight regulars.

12. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I think DS9 were given a lot of leeway to do what they liked in comparison to Voyager where the interference from the company was the stuff of legend.

13. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It makes me wonder though how Garak could be in more episodes than Jake, when the former is a recurring character and Jake a regular. I bet the answer isn't simple, but it is kind of funny. Nog and Damar also appeared in more episodes than Jake in the last two seasons as well, I think.

14. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kes's story might not have been going anywhere fast, but she was still 10,000 times more interesting than that ensign guy (whose character went absolutely nowhere). Her interactions with the Doctor were so much better than the cheesy cheese duo of Paris and his young ward, and I really missed seeing her in sickbay for the rest of the show.

Besides that, Kes was a talented nurse on a terribly undermanned medical staff, and was developing telepathic powers that Troi couldn't even dream of. What did Kim do? Some undefined console work on the bridge, and undefined science/engineering filler. There was no reason to keep him in the show. Oh, but his actor ranked in a magazine article, clearly he was the better choice.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There must be hierarchies of "regulars." But I think it just comes down to the writers knowing that Jake wasn't an important character, and not trying to overuse him.

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

A blonde haired blue eyes woman is common in American magazines.
    For an Asian male actor(any Asian male actor) to make such a poll is a rarity. Garrett is also the first Asian actor to have a lead role in a Trek series since Takai. Trek is supposed to be PC. It's more PC to fire one of the 5 White actors to keep the one Asian one for reasons of diversity. Isn't Trek shown Internationally? Being a minority worked in his favor. They didn't care if they were going to develop his character or not. Garrett being Asian was all they wanted him for.

17. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well the producers claim that the Kes character wasn't working and they didn't know what to do for her, but as sfdebris said in his "One" review - the writers didn't know what to do with ANYONE so it was hardly a special case for Kes. And Kenneth Biller even said in the season 4 extras that it was a pity that Kes left because there was a lot of potential for storylines given her unique physiology and telepathic powers.
    SFdebris summed up the Kes/Seven exchange in his Kes retrospective like this
    "Overall while you could have replaced Harry with just about anything and not lose, replacing Kes with Seven was like replacing a home theater system with a motorcycle. You haven't actually upgraded, you've just wound up replacing something with something different. You have something new and great but you've also lost something else you've had that you really liked".

Personally I thought getting rid of Kes was a big mistake, her character had a lot of potential and keeping Kes and Seven on the show would have helped make Voyager be more distinctive by not only having it be much more female-centric but also by having a more diverse mix of characters.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. NightOwl

NightOwl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Right on both accounts, I believe. However, Sandoval still has a point. Jennifer wasn't in a top 50 of good looking folks, Garrett was. One might even argue if keeping an actor based on looks is in itself the opposite of being PC, despite Garrett being Asian, but I digress.

Wang was the one who was supposed to be canned, but after People magazine declared him to be aesthetically pleasing, they just kicked Jennifer out instead and rewritten the script so that Harry didn't die. And if this isn't true, it's one of the more persistent rumors.

19. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

the writers openly admit they dropped the ball when it came to Jake and that it was no fault of the actor or the character. They admitted they were the ones that failed in their duty.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:eek:

Get me off the couch, I think that may be my Kim problem as well!