The Kes Website has moved

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lynx, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Just want to inform you that the Kes Website has moved. The new address is:
    http://lynx677.byethost12.com

The reason for the move has nothing to do with New Year. It's because of the problems with the previous host 110mb.

110mb was a good host for the website for 2 years. But recently there have been a lot of problems. It has been impossible to log in and edit the site for more than two months. It has been impossible to get any information about the problems a 110mb from those in charge. The only information available has been some lame excuses on a Facebook site. Even 110mb's main site has been down now and then.

After more than two months of failed logins and no reply whatsoever from those in charge of 110mb, I decided that enough was enough and decided to move the site. The final adjustments were made an hour ago. :bolian:

There are also a few changes to the site. Most of the text has now Verdana fonts instead of Times New Roman fonts and I've also changed the site to a frame-based site in order to make the site more easy-read and more easy to navigate. Those changes were planned and would have been made earlier if it had been possible to edit the site at the old location.

However, there is a slight problem though. The old site is still located at 110mb and since it's impossible to edit the site with information of the new location or delete the site, the old site will remain there as a wrecked ship which will lead some visitors to the wrong conclusion that the Kes Website is no longer updated and maintained. So to you who read this, spread the word about the relocation of the site. I'll probably put a link in my sig, I hope that you can stand that, at least for some time.

Anyway, welcome to the relocated Kes Website!

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no member mass mailing for this?

3. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

It's not quite done yet. I'm getting "Connection Refused" on some of the pages. If I can offer some constructive criticism, I'd get rid of that applet on the homepage. The site takes a long while to load, I'd guess it's your "stardate" applet.

I remember your site from way back, I think it's great that you've kept it up all this time.

4. AFEK ESLCAFE W

AFEK ESLCAFE W Lieutenant Commander Newbie

I've been a fan of your site for years, Lynx.

There is no greater fan of Kes out there than you, mate.

It was even rumored for awhile there that you were Jennifer Lien, herself. :cool:

5. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

No, there are two reasons for that.

First of all, it might be of interest for other people than the possible members.

Second, it's also because of the extraordinary situation with the site on two locations due to the fact that I can't edit, update or remove the site at the old location. At least not yet.

Therefore I have to find a way to direct visitors to the new location and what would be better for that than a Star Trek forum? Without the information, people might continue to visit the old location and get the idea that the old Lynx has abandoned the site and that could give me a bad reputation. We don't want that to happen, do we? ;)

spot_loves_data wrote:
    Thanks!

I'm actually surprsed myself that I've kept it up for so long. But it has developed into something more than the simple photo gallery it was from the start and it would be really sad to abandon it

Constructive criticizm is always welcome. When it comes to the slow loading, my guess is that the little tune i put on the site earlier this fall might be the problem so I might remove it because of that. I don't think it's the Stardate applet, even if it might have somnething to do with it too.

As for the "connection refused" errors, I've checked the links on the left side of the site and I haven't found anything yet. I will continue my search for such errors. If you find any, then please send me a message so I can correct it.

AFEK ESCLAFE W wrote:
    Thanks!

To be honest, there are some people out there who I've got in touch with thanks to the site who I consider as greater fans than I am. But I guess I'm playing in the top league as well.

And no, I'm not Jennifer Lien. In fact I haven't even met the lady yet.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Best of luck with the new sight, Lynx.

7. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best Regards on the new site and may it be all you want it to be. Kes was an interesting if tragically often underated character in the early years of Voyager and I wish she had never been "killed off" to make way for...the Borg of all things.

8. spot_loves_data

spot_loves_data Captain Captain

I just went to your site again and it's so much faster now. Also, the "Connection Refused" errors are gone, everything seems to be working fine.