NBC and Bryan Fuller remaking The Munsters

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jack Bauer, Sep 30, 2010.

1. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a longer article with more details. Sounds like this is a pet project for NBC.

NBC desperately needs some big, buzz-worthy series next fall that will get people to pay attention to the network again. Even if they had anything worth watching, they don't have enough people already watching the network for them to advertise new shows to. They'll need to bootstrap a whole new audience next fall.

The Munsters might be that buzz-worthy show. If I were them, I'd get a couple others lined up that might attract buzz in the non-genre/nostalgia audience, in the traditional genres - cop show, lawyer show, doctor show, sitcom with some big name star. Mystery/horror (not necessarily supernatural) would be another good one. Target several different audiences in the hopes that at least one will come through.

3. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Wow. Not The Munsters and not good. I mean, Pushing Daisies was good, so maybe, but that really does not sound encouraging.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whoah! What happened to Lily and Grandpa being vampires?

It sounds like Fuller is just rewriting the show entirely. Eh, who knows, maybe it will be fun. At this point, I'm thinking of this as MINO :D and will judge it on its own merits.

6. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have completely lost interest.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This sounds like fun. :cool:

8. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The description sounds almost incomplete to me. The family is comprised of "flesh eaters"? So they're, what, cannibals? Or monsters that look like humans? But distinct from vampires or werewolves? Whatever, it still sounds potentially interesting.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects, X2, Superman Returns) has been attached to direct the pilot.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be surprised if it lasts five episodes.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this is as accurate as the (now known to be false) report the other day that Khan was the villain in the upcoming Star Trek movie...

12. the G-man

I hope so.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Yep, this is one of those things that's clearly misleading as a result of either missing some crucial details or a misunderstanding of some aspect of the premise by the person providing the information.

One of my favorite examples of this was a brief description that leaked out in late 1981 of the plot of TWOK as "Khan steals a weather-making machine and traps the Enterprise in a cloud in space." Seriously.

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Even incomplete, it makes it even weirder that they're naming it after The Munsters. The name itself implies humor, especially considering it's still a well-known show today. If the concept is so radically different, why not just start from scratch?

15. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Name recognition is why. They hope that people familiar with the name will check it out, gaining them a built-in audience. That is the base reason why they remake any series.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

True. Also, this sounds pretty funny - especially given Fuller's past work.

17. the G-man

That's a double edged sword, however. A remake that deviates too far from the source material can easily p.o. fans of the original to the point where they don't watch at all.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

That's virtually never an actual problem, just something usually imagined by the limited number of trufans who actually exist for an old show.

19. the G-man

Brands mean something. Otherwise, companies, including entertainment companies, wouldn't be so protective of them.

If the general public expects a certain thing from the name "Munsters" (or any other brand) and it isn't enough like that, they can easily get turned off.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Playing Devil's Advocate, the previous tv revivals of The Munsters stayed pretty close to the template of the 1960s series and it didn't get them too far.

Of course, it didn't help that they were crap.