Rogue Reviews thread [Read-only] [SPOILERS, no doubt]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AntonyF, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Feeling dejected *spoilers*

I was expecting London to be obliterated, nothing but ruins and scorched earth as we saw on the poster. Instead we get a building blown up and what, 44 people? died.

I was expecting the whole WORLD threatened, you think your world is safe? It is an illusion. We didn't even get that line much less any reality.

I was expecting "love will be challenged", instead we got a spat.

I was expecting "friendships will be torn apart", instead we got Scotty having a moral qualm.

There was a lot of bullshit in the hype :(

2. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean the marketing greatly exaggerated?
    This has surely never happened before.:p

And I too am shocked about the poster thing. I felt that way with TMP when I didn't see giant heads floating in space, inside a rainbow like the poster showed.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trumbull ran out of time.

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I posted something similar in the big spoiler thread. I guess the lack of any the stuff you've quoted above is what's making me feel so disappointed. Pretty much everything we had been promised didn't happen. Where was the Darkness in this movie? I had really hoped for some dramatic things to happen, like one of the crew turning bad or something. But I guess they just don't have the balls to do something like that.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they should have had a memorial scene at the end or something:p

IIRC they skipped six months until Kirk was revived, and when he gave his speech it was one year since the Vengeance had crashed.

6. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

42. I was disappointed it wasn't 47. I was disappointed it wasn't 47,000 though (which is probably the number in San Francisco)

When I saw that the "royal children's hospital" was out in the shires, I was expecting a Dr-Who style obliteration of London.

There always is. Welcome to the 21st century.

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: That is such an inside baseball reference. Almost everyone under 50 is going, "What?"

8. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

directors cut of into darkness

I just had i wonderful idea. After hearing how many people included myself are happy with the film but all dislike the engine room scene. Would it be possible they could edit it so
    where spock screams kahhn is cut off?
    That would at least for me make it a much better movie.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Re: directors cut of into darkness

As rushed as the film felt, I think it would need an extended cut!

10. SalvorHardin

That's what fan edits are for.
    You now know what to do when you get your hands on the dvd/blu-ray.
    Get to it.

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Where's the equality? [SPOILERS]

In STID in order to put on another uniform for a landing party, Carol Marcus strips off to her underwear in a shuttle as Kirk peeks (a scene that miraculously made it into every single trailer...funny that). McCoy was on the same mission, so how come we don’t get to see him stripped down to his skivvies?

Who wouldn’t want to see Karl urban in his underwear? I’m hoping it’s in the deleted scenes.

Instead, why didn’t she just get dressed in her quarters then meet McCoy in the shuttlebay? We know she's female, we don't need to make sure by seeing boobs.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

If Abrams put the engine room scene into the final cut why on Earth would anyone expect him to take it out of a "director's cut?"

The complainers will just have to learn to live with yet another thing in a Star Trek show not being exactly what they want.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Where's the equality?

Because the film industry, especially the Hollywood film industry, has been, and always shall be, sexist.

14. SalvorHardin

We know he's male, we don't need to make sure by seeing his underwear bulge.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

99% of all visual fiction includes focus on the female form. Almost every film includes a romance, and in sex scenes, the female body is in the center of attention, mostly covering the male body. There's no successful actress that hasn't done a nude scene or sex scene or nude photo shoot at some point, but there are a lot of successful actors that have never had to do any of that. Film industry is a male dominated one, and it shows that every single day.

Why is Zoe Saldana's swimsuit in Star Trek 2009 tighter (and also sexy red) than the swimsuits (in dull grey) of the male crew members?

Why where the space suits in Prometheus tighter for the females and looser for the males, with different chest armor for the females (covering less) and males (covering more)?

Why did Seven of Nine have to run around in a skintight catsuit?

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk's in seen in his undies too, in the scene with the cat women. And the infamous shot of Carol lasts about as long in the movie as it does in the trailer.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

:cool:

18. SalvorHardin

Silly old people :klingon:

19. Bry_Sinclair

Nibiru [SPOILERS]

I saw STID last night and have been musing on a few things, a couple of which deal with the planet of Nibiru at the start of the film.

If you've not seen the film, please turn back now.

Firstly, why is the Enterprise underwater? How many times has a ship successfully conducted observations and away missions from standard orbit? Why would they need to complicate the entire operation and risk exposing the ship to the inhabitants by taking it all the way through the atmosphere and then into the ocean? It baffled me.

Secondly, the crews actions on the planet (stopping the volcano) is in itself a violation of the Prime Directive, as they are interfering with the natural development of that species. As unpleasant as it may be to allow a race to die, had the Enterprise not been there the volcano would have erupted and that would be the end of them, by stopping the volcano they interruped the natural development of the native species--which is far worse than them just seeing a starship rise from the water.

20. Bry_Sinclair

And deserves just as much screen time as her undies flash did :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.