Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can just speak for my "Game of thrones"-BDs.
    There is one menue that contains ALL the season episodes.
    If you select f.e. episode 8 and you are currently watching BD 2, a message will pop up saying "Please insert Disc 4".
    You do right that, and in between 20 seconds (!!) episode 8 will start playing from BD 4 in the language you've been watching the previous one. No warnings, no text screens nothing, the episode starts right away.

So, OF COURSE it is possible, even in SHORTER time than normal!

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Unfortuantely zooming on the DVD makes it look like pixelated ass.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't understand wanting to fill a 16x9 TV screen completely at the expense of cropping 25% of the image, or, to a lesser extent, stretching and distorting the image.

15 years ago, the argument was "stop doing pan-and-scan to fill the 4x3 screen, studios need to show movies in their original aspect ratio." Now it's "stop showing things in their original aspect ratio, studios need to fill the 16x9 screen."

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

The argument from the unwashed masses has always been "why is my movie not filling the whole screen?"; it's just that the aspect ratios have flipped. :p

5. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I would zoom the picture, I would chose a compromise: zoom it, so the overscan area of the 4:3 picture top/bottom (that was not usually seen on old TV sets) is hidden and the black bars left/right are reduced by 50%. This way the picture fills more of the screen without actually losing important image information and distorting the image:

[​IMG]

6. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey, they paid a lot of money for them pixels to glow on the flatscreen, so THEY NEED TO GLOW!

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Annoying, isn't it? ;)

8. BrEnDoN

BrEnDoN Lieutenant Red Shirt

Do you know what goes on at the top and bottom of the picture? Very little. Nothing I won't miss...

9. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching TNG on a PS3 and not only does it remember my language and subtitle choices, but it also remembers where I was last time and starts playing where I left off, even when I've removed the disc from the player. So this is not an issue with the discs, but with certain BD players.

10. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:rolleyes: I don't understand why you even bother with Blu Ray discs if you care so little about aspect ratio's or artisitc integrity.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There's really not much point arguing. If someone wants to cut a bunch of the image off or distort it all to hell, logic isn't gonna convince them not to. :)

12. BrEnDoN

I care about 2.39:1. I wish everything was in that aspect ratio. I'd crop Star Trek to that ratio, but it cuts out a little bit too much, so I'll settle for 16:9. I care about this bluray because the remastering makes the show look a bit more modern, and 16:9 helps with that even more, in my opinion...

13. BrEnDoN

Logic? It's just a different preference. Go fuck yourself.

14. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

That was a bit much.

Nice knowing ya! Bye!

15. MiKE42

MiKE42 Ensign Red Shirt

So TNG S2 has just beamed in to OZ.
    Cheaper than Amazon too -half the price- which is amazing! Plus we got mini versions of the 25th Anniversary Next Gen posters as a bonus!

But what`s with the style of the quotation marks on the episode titles changing *again*?
    The style of the quotation marks changed from the long straight versions on the
    sampler disc, to the 'curly quotes' on season one. Now we are back to long
    straight quote marks. (but perhaps shorter than the sampler disc...need to check
    that tho) Was this HTV-i`s decision?

Can we expect to go back to the Season 1 style, when we get the CBS-remastered
    Season 3?
    Can we expect to get consistency in the ep titles at some stage maybe? ;)

Cheers!

16. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Removing a big chunk of the picture and destroying shot composition is not modern, it's backwards.

17. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Warning issued for flaming. Read the rules or expect a rather short membership here.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I just don't understand why people seem to get offended when people want to watch a show in a way they disagree with?

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I went to order on Amazon and their price is at $114!

20. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's annoying when people act like the black bars are a "mistake", or suggest that future releases should be cropped or stretched for everybody.

Thankfully that hasn't happened on the BDs or broadcasts, but you can still watch them in your own home however you choose to, albeit with some fiddling required.