Thunderbirds Are Go - 2015 Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain_Amasov, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

But the vehicle doesn't have to be a Thunderbird.

It's like saying the Mole could've been an International Rescue vehicle or it could have been a Thunderbird. Similarly the vehicle that took them to and from Thunderbird 5 didn't have to be one of the five Thunderbird vehicles.

Gerry Anderson was quoted as saying once the series started they knew early on almost all scripts were earth bound, so TB3 was restricted to ferrying duties as part of a cutaway and not in a rescue (it was only used four times in that capacity).

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd be wondering why Thunderbird 5 is a Thunderbird before Thunderbird 3. Or why Thunderbird 4 is a Thunderbird and not the other craft carried by Thunderbird 2. Questioning the premise on that level is super-silly. :lol:

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well in the case TB4, it is in theory capable of operating independaly of TB2. Just that it would take too long to get anywhere under it's own power. Other resuce vehicles carried by TB2 such tend to need TB2 to transport them to the rescue location.

4. CorporalCaptain

That's a good point. TB4 did launch from Tracy Island.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I suspect it's because they came up with the 5-1 countdown intro first and there's only so many vehicles they could come up with after three air/space craft so one ended up being a space station and another a sub for the sake of variety. One assumes a wheeled vehicle was considered too mundane or of limited utility. Plus Lady Penelope was already rocking a pink six wheeled Rolls.

Mind you, to be fair it's not like a space station is a stationary object. Technically speaking it's probably going faster than anything besides TB3 is capable of. ;)

6. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I like the new Tracy Island, Thunderbird 1 and Thunderbird 2[high detailed hull].

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well that all depends on the Orbit as to whether or not it's stationary. But we know TB3 (at least in the 60's show) had to be capable of escape velocity which is some 25 000mph (40 300kph)

8. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

The ships look nicely done, though TB5 will take getting used to. The trailer look interesting so I'll definitely watch and see. I used to love the original, but was soured on remakes with the 2004 film. This has me cautiously optimistic, however.

9. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Thunderbird 3 was one of my favorites but Gerry Anderson in one of the 'making of' specials said he found it boring so he did not use it much. Earth based disasters were also easier to make and more dramatic.
    I do like the newer look for Thunderbird 4 but the others look too blocky- more like prototypes instead of more evolved version of the classics. the trailer makes them look better but I will wait for the first show to see how the mix of CGI and models works...

10. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Unless he wanted to have John Tracy permanently stranded on Thunderbird 5.

11. Candlelight

12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

In the interview, the producer talks about how it's all about the rescuses and as least violent as possible.

Guess we won't see a repeat of some of the events from the original series which involved what today would be deemed acts of terrorism (passenger aircraft being crashed in the sea, bombs on board aircraft, hijackings etc).

13. CorporalCaptain

No. It's only vaguely similar.

14. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

One of the comics did try to use TB3 on an Earth based rescue mission were it was required to transport a T2 pod to the rescue zone. It didn't end well. I wonder was that an attempt by the comic writers to show how pointless T3 was?

Heck, I rember another comic story were T1 and T2 were refitted for space travel for a rescue mission so even in space T3 was not necessary.

New series looks good and am looking forward to see what they do with it.

15. Richard Baker

The TB-3 play toy for the new series has the three outrigger arms swing around to the nose and look like grabby things- perhaps this is a new type of rescue use?

16. Candlelight

So the Fireflash just can't land, not there's a bomb on the landing gear and it can't land...

I remember watching the Thunderbird 6 movie when they dump the dead crewmembers out of the airship in the middle of the night, each hitting the ocean with a dull splash. Geez, doubt we'd get that scene again...

17. Richard Baker

The classic Thunderbirds had a lot of things which would never get on screen today.
    The Tracys carried guns and shot bad guys, characters drank and smoked and innocent people. Back in the sixties they gave kids credit to know right from wrong and fantasy from reality, these days everything on screen is aimed at teach kids the 'proper' way to behave.

18. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am really looking forward to this, and the inevitable toyline!! Love me some Thunderbirds, hope my kids like it.

19. CorporalCaptain

I saw the original show when I was in kindergarten. I remember that the exploding bracelets freaked me out. :lol: No permanent damage though! :techman:

20. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's funny I never really considered Thunderbirds violent, what with The Hood, and some other characters, always surviving the most ridiculous of crashes and such. At least not when compared to the more direct violence of Captain Scarlet:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqp5aorX1W4[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTdS5IglLg[/yt]