WOLVERINE director search down to 8

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 26, 2011.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96373

I have to say, I like the sequel idea a lot better. Because as bad as the last movie was, I feel like we've already seen enough of Wolverine's backstory by now (especially when you add in all the flashbacks in other movies).

I'd much rather just jump forward in time and see where he's at NOW.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yea totally caught me by surprise. Never expected them to go past X3: The Last Stand, until at least X4. I like what I'm hearing though.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Me too. And it avoids all those continuity issues that have plagued the other prequels!

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Another thing that can be done by placing this after The Last Stand is give us a big time frame with which to work for reshaping Deadpool. I don't even particualarly like the character but know many do. So for those who'd like a better Deadpool this gap allows for that. Not that he's going to appear in TW but just tossing that as another benefit for moving past TLS.

So it seems TW is not going to ignore TLS.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I've never understood the hatred of Last Stand to begin with (to me it's only crime was being a bit bland and generic), so I don't have a problem at all following it up.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

W...

T...

F...?!?

"Disbanded or gone"?! Things seemed pretty stable at the end of X3. Sure, they'd lost Cyke, but he wasn't all there to start with, and they seem to be getting Wheels back. Plus, there's a (groan) mutant-friendly president.

Are they going dystopian on us? Is this part of the "dark future" that Days of Future Past will seek to prevent? Is this movie's story destined to be retconned out of existence the year after it opens?

WTF?!?! :vulcan:

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Who cares, if this makes for a better movie?

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is no surprise to me considering the Jean Grey School pic that leaked a few months ago.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So this film is ignoring the people who ignore The Last Stand? :evil:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  11. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

That was revealed to be actually from The Great Gatsby, they were tearing down a set from that movie.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh that's disappointing. Guess that is what I get for even giving Comic Book Movies even an ounce of credit lol.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to see them going forward with this one. This way we don't have to worry about how well it lines up with the other movies quite as much.

14. Gaith

If it were a self-contained story, set mostly or even entirely in Japan, ending with Logan walking off into the sunset, why would we have to worry about anything lining up?! :p

With Singer around, I'll not panic or anything, yet, but unless this is deliberately building to FC2, I fail to see how setting it after X3 is any kind of plus.

15. Captaindemotion

Well, it avoids continuity quibbles about how it contradicts the first 3 X-Men movies or First Class or whatever. And it allows for character growth for Logan - we don't have to ensure that the character at the end of the movie is the same as the guy at the start of X-Men. In other words, no adamantium bullets or other magical reset button required.

Also, I personally think it might be nice to see what has happened to the character since the events of TLS, and possibly to some of the other X-Men.

Finally, I think some of the set pics that have leaked would certainly suggest that this movie will be set at different time periods, so we will get to see pre-X-Men Wolvie.

16. Set Harth

It could just as easily have such problems if the proper care is not taken, no matter when it is set. And if it's all about Logan it would have to really go out of its way to contradict FC ( which contradicts the other films anyway ).

17. Captaindemotion

^Well, there was the whole Prof-X-walking-in-Origins thing. But yeah, I suppose it's FC which contradicts Origins and TLS, as they both had an older Xavier walking.

It's not so much continuity errors - and you can have continuity errors in any sequel or prequel - which bother me as the need they apparently felt in Origins to wipe the slate (and Logan's mind) at the end and try to ensure that all fitted in with the movies made earlier but set later. At least in a post-TLS sequel, you can shake the box up a bit.

18. Set Harth

I'm talking about the 2013 film specifically. To contradict FC it would have to do something along the lines of having Logan confined in a foreign country during a period of time including 1962, so that his FC appearance wouldn't work. But I doubt that will happen.

Well, we knew Logan's memory had to be erased at some point. That's in the nature of a prequel. The twist was that it was not erased during the adamantium procedure as originally implied. But you wouldn't have to worry about that if you made a Wolverine film set between Origins and the first film, because he's already forgotten his past by that point and so it's the same as X1 in that respect.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

If they made a movie between XMO:W and X-Men 1, there's literally nothing they could do in terms of character development. At the end of Origins, he's freshly amnesia-ed with nothing but his leather jacket, and that's how we find him at the start of X-Men.

What would be the point of a movie where he has to finish the movie exactly the same as he started? It'd be too much of a slave to the continuity that we complain about.

Imagine having to shoot him in the head again in "Wolverine" to set things right for "X-men"

20. Gaith

Jack Nicholson's character goes from jaded to in love/concerned to jaded again in Chinatown, one of cinema's most acclaimed films.

Peter Parker goes from idealistic hero to jaded quitter to idealistic hero in Spider-Man 2. I seem to recall that one getting some good notices. ;)

Besides, we don't really see Wolvie after his brain-wipe in Origins. Maybe it makes him a lot softer and fuzzier than he was before, and his time in Japan left him jaded?

Again, maybe this is part of some new grand plan for FC2, but I'm worried.