Animated Series Blu-Ray Plans

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by FrontierTrek, Jan 16, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey all! A bit of exclusive news from our multi-part interview with Robert Meyer Burnett - plans are currently underway for a Blu-Ray release of Star Trek: The Animated Series. Rob also mentioned that he had a "crazy idea" for the release that, if he could pull it off, would be very interesting.

Also - Rob gave his verdict on the Remastered Star Trek: The Original Series Blu-Ray release.

Here's the relevant part of the interview: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/01162013_robmeyerburnett6.html

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

TAS on Blu-ray; day one purchase for me.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And the original article reveals nothing more of this "crazy idea". Could be anything from an included "tool" to make your own Flash animations in TAS style to a hidden folder of M'ress "pr0n". Just couldn't "throw us a bone", could he?

Sincerely,

Bill

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Great news!

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if the VAM will be animated, TAS style?

THAT would be a fun way to present extras. :)

6. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

I hope something will be done. I noticed at Best Buy that the Jackson 5ive cartoon is now on Blu-ray. If that can be on Blu-ray, so should the animated Star Trek.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Quote: Robert Meyer Burnett - "...that new Star Trek movie was generic pablum that appealed to the masses."
    Dead on. This was a cool interview and quite refreshing to hear from a Trek alumni rather than "it's Trek so it must be awesome."

8. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

You've absolutely nailed my feelings on this subject, thank you!

9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A music only track would be a crazy idea....

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still hoping for a full CGI remake. Keep the voices though.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Wishing futilely for something too expensive and not the least realistic. You might as well just make an entirely new series.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not possible, since the music and sound effects were mixed on the same track. There are some Filmation DVDs that do have isolated music/SFX tracks for some episodes, but no isolatable music-only tracks exist.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

To get a clean collection of TAS music tracks I suspect you'd simply have to get an orchestra together and recreate and re-record the music.

Isn't that something like the Varese Saraband releases of TOS music?

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Same thing LitSF authors said and some still say about the original STAR TREK.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Only the series is still followed after forty years. Check back with me in four decades and tell me if ST09 is still remembered.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Easier said than done. At best it would only be an approximation. The conducting and performances would inevitably be different, as would subtler things like the timbre of the individual instruments, the acoustics of the studio, and the parameters of the recording equipment.

Ironic to hear that in a thread about TAS, a show that's gotten far less acceptance over the decades than most incarnations of the franchise. Usually the newest incarnation attracts predictable negativity from the loyalists because of its differences from what they're used to, but a decade later they've changed their tune, having adjusted to its differences and glossed over its problems, and are busy complaining about how the next new incarnation has ruined the franchise. The reactions today about the Abrams movies are a carbon copy of the reactions to ENT a decade ago -- and a quarter-century ago, there was vehement and deep-rooted hostility toward TNG, now the second-most beloved incarnation. But TAS has always struggled for acceptance -- and yet it is still remembered, yes, absolutely. The idea that any incarnation of Star Trek would be completely forgotten is just plain silly.

And let's remember that this is a TAS thread. If you want to argue about the Abrams movies, please do it in a thread that's actually about that subject.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ The film was referenced in the posted link and then became fair game. As far as tastes go I still loathe VOY and ENT and it's been quite a few years since they were introduced.

18. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

If the original recordings no longer exist, I think a happy medium would be Varese-like re-scored tracks. I imagine the entire collection would not run more than 2 or 3 CDs worth of music, since some of the cues were created for other Filmation series, so that would not be featured on a TAS soundtrack.

I would have no problem buying such a collection.

Key difference here is that over a decade after DS9's end, the general public--or even the majority of the Trek fanbase is not calling for its return. You do not see networks or cable trying to bring DS9, VOY or ENT back, which was the was the case with NBC not long after the demise of TOS (which--in part--paved the way for TAS). Roddenberry's 11th hour rejection of TAS has much to do with certain negative perceptions of it, but in its day, the show was praised by once-skeptical fans, won an Emmy and was considered far and above typcial--if not all Saturday morning material. Some thought it was serious enough to air during prime time.

Then, there's the ancillary side: during the era of laserdiscs, it was less than rare to see an entire animated series issued on the format; at best (or more common), double featured (or two sided) collections saw the light of shelves--and even that was rare. Then, there's TAS--released as a series box set in 1990 (and had been released as 2 episode VHS tapes earlier).

For such an expensive, niche / luxury format, it speaks to the notion that Paramount recognized the popularity of TAS as a vital part of the franchise, and felt it was a worthy, money-earning the effort--even on a format which at the time, was not serious competition to the videotape.

The Berman-period series--with a slight exception of TNG --are not pop culture phenomenons the public loves or requests more chapters from. Moreover, when TNG turned 20, the news media barely covered it, while I was in L.A. for TOS' 20th, and it was big news (along with a media event party & screening of the uncut version of The Cage, etc.).

The fact Trek required a recent reboot keeps the disasters of the Berman period alive in the minds of fans.

Yes, that is true (and you were talking to someone else) but I thought something else needed to be said about ST perceptions.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Do you have a URL source for this that the Dialog, Music, Effects stems do not exist?

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why does every thread have to turn into a Trek 09 pissing match?

I agree with Lokai of Cheron, day one purchase.