So why exactly is AVP1 so bad?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tiberius, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I don't remember which one it was either AVP 1 or 2 but the scenes were so dark that I couldn't see what was going on half the time!

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That's the second one!

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually enjoy this film. It's the sequel that's a bit lacking.

Still, I'd like to have a third AvP film as this series was setting up the the ties of the Weyland-Yutani merger. Which literally that last moment in AvP:R makes a lot of the other rushed moments in the film forgivable. I don't even think AvP:R is a horrid film it's just in the list of Prometheus-Alien films-Predator films and AvP films this would rank near if not a the bottom of the 10 film saga to date. Something has to be last and it's the best candidate imo.

4. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Most people wouldn't consider the AVP films part of the Alien franchise.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the confirmation!

6. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Or the Predator franchise, for that matter.

7. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Agreed...I loved the atmosphere...In some was the score was better than Aliens...and hell, I liked some of the charicters....I saw the "alternate version" a few years back, and thought it was even better. I think the movie is now finally getting it's due, as in more people are realizing it's not as bad as was thought

8. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Count me as a fan too, I think Alien 3 could have been right up there with Alien and Aliens were it not for the constant studio interference.

As to AVP/AVPR, I liked both of them. My only disappointment is that, while I liked them, they should have been EPICALLY AWESOME! You have two movies featuring two of the most iconic ruthless alien lifeforms of all time!

And, I also think it was a mistake basing them on earth. Should have gone with the comic's original storyline.

9. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    I wonder why the comic wasn't adapted, or at least the story followed closely. I'm thinking it was a cost issue (not as many space scenes, confined sets), but it could have been simple hubris on the part of the film makers who figured their take on the story was the superior one.

I don't necessarily hate the film. I just find it forgettable. I watched it shortly after release on DVD, and have had no urge to see it again.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's the tragedy of it all...the original miniseries from Dark Horse would have made for a hugely better film. But as you note, the budget would certainly have been a lot higher.

11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually liked AvP: Requiem due to the fact it was actually ALIENS fighting a PREDATOR. Granted, I could have done without the rednecks and the teeny-bopper bullshit, but the Predator was pretty badass in it. I loved how you can see him getting gradually more and more pissed off as the situation grows more and more out of control.

Alien vs. Predator I didn't care so much for. I thought the idea of Predators being worshipped by ancient humans interesting, but the pyramid below the ice and PG-13 action were just too dull.

12. Solariabsg25

I don't know if it would have been much higher though. The pyramid interior sets would have been just as expensive as any colony interior, and much of the whaling station was constructed as an outside practical set.

I think it was much more likely just a storytelling choice.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying that they changed the story because it'd be cheaper. Just that it was. :)

I'm sure they never considered just adapting the comic as-is.

14. Solariabsg25

I think doing a straight comic adapt would have never entered PWS's mind - he changed the Resident Evil mythos simply because a straight adapt of the games would have been boring (and, unfilmable - you can't squeeze 4 or 6 hours of game into a 2 hour movie and satisfy all the game players).

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno - if you listen to the commentary tracks on AvP, you find out that most of this stuff was filmed in Prague when the exchange rate was favorable for the American dollar. The film's total budget was way below $100 million because of that. They could've easily made a few colony sets for the same price (or cheaper, since they wouldn't need all that fancy sliding walls stuff).

16. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Could be. After all, the comics storyline, if I recall, was far more an Aliens story than a Predator story. The first two Predator films involved humans being hunted in a present day Earth, whereas the AVP comics were set in the future and very much a space opera. It's possible the writers for the film wanted to keep the movies Earth based and present day because that is what the Predator films were all about. But when they did that, they ended up alienating (pun intended) the Aliens fans.