I miss Picard's speeches!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Romulan_spy, Feb 13, 2014.

1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching TNG Season 5 on Blu-ray reminded me once again just how good Patrick Stewart was in the role.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another overlooked one in an otherwise awful episode - Picard's "there is no justice if laws are absolute" speech in Justice.

3. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Don't forget his internal monologues....

[​IMG]

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

^ Holy shit that is great.

5. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *smashes little ships*

6. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
  7. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just rewatched Tapestry this afternoon, and while it isn't really a full-on speech, the emotional depth & real meaning Patrick Stewart puts into these scenes is superb. The fact that the message is so true anyway only adds to the depth:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGvUDvZ7KyU[/yt]

I think I like his final conversation with Riker even more as it reveals that he really has changed, and come to terms with his own identity, but I couldn't find that online. A transcript will have to do:

PICARD: I still don't know what to make of it. Was it a dream? Was it one of Q's elaborate tricks?
    RIKER: A lot of people near death have talked about strange experiences, but I've never heard one so detailed.
    PICARD: And, you know, there's still a part of me that cannot accept that Q would give me a second chance, or that he would demonstrate so much compassion. And if it was Q, I owe him a debt of gratitude.
    RIKER: In what sense? It sounds like he put you through hell.
    PICARD: There are many parts of my youth that I'm not proud of. There were loose threads, untidy parts of me that I would like to remove. But when I pulled on one of those threads it unraveled the tapestry of my life.
    RIKER: I was just trying to imagine a hell-bent for leather young officer insulting a Nausicaan twice his size. I wish I'd had a chance to know that Jean-Luc Picard.
    PICARD: Oh, well, to tell the truth, that wasn't the first run-in I'd had with a couple of surly Nausicaans.
    RIKER: Really?
    PICARD: Oh, yes. During my sophomore year, I was assigned to training on Morikin Seven. Well, there was a Nausicaan outpost on one of the outlying asteroids, and one day...

:cool:

8. UUS Contrarian

UUS Contrarian Lieutenant

Mirror Archer>>>>Archer.

9. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

AFAIK it was Michael Piller, who often wrote the Picard speeches in a script.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked his speeches to Tomalak, in both The Enemy and The Defector. Stewart knew how to deliver a hell of a speech, which made the character all the more awesome.