Do we even want another Star Trek movie?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by looneyguy1985, Jun 3, 2013.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

No, I don't want any more Trek movies. The people lording over Trek have shown us since First Contact that they can't be trusted with films, or even TV series for that matter. So, I also don't want new TV series.

The current Hollywood environment is not inducive to good Trek.

2. VST

VST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The answer to this question is simpleā€¦ of course we do.

Trek was dead after Enterprise. Dead. That show was much better than people give it credit for even now (certainly its final two seasons), but the model was done on TV at that time. Insurrection & Nemesis were early 90's-esque movies that felt fatigued in a changing era. Trek--like Bond, like Doctor Who--needed the Abrams rebirth to survive. Like it or not, it kept Trek alive.

While I feel Star Trek was a cracking movie that got almost everything right, Into Darkness is of course flawed. I enjoyed it hugely, still do, but the more you watch the more the problems become apparent; but there are plenty of earlier Trek films with many flaws, and they were often followed by much stronger delights. Rob Orci will, I suspect, follow up with a very Trek-style film for the 50th anniversary.

And remember, if these movies keep making money & keep Trek in the public eye, the more chance we have of that new TV show that keeps being rumoured in the ether.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it was dead after ther third season of TOS?

:)

4. VST

VST Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hah! You've got me there. :D

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I agree.
    I didn't like any of them much.
    While Anakin looked good he just didn't have any charisma. And I don't mind a 'bad boy'. Honestly I wanted to like Luke's father. I tried to like Luke's father.
    While I didn't hate him I just thought meh. I thought meh about everyone in SW 1, 2, 3. Even C3PO and R2D2.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't even think that Hayden Christensen ever passed himself off as Darth Vader - even an artistically placed facial scar couldn't help that. Annie should've been tough looking and you're right ... charasmatic, as well.

7. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I would like to see the big, epic tales of nuTOS remain on the big screen while ensemble cast stories remain on TV as miniseries or weekly series.