Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Rather, it was explained as probably just a human footprint made to look bigger by the snow melting. Since it was still trying to be a science/educational show at this point.

At this point, Ian, Barbara, and Susan were still seen as the lead characters. The Doctor was the mysterious figure who was the catalyst for their adventures, as likely to create trouble for them as to get them out of it.

Creating trouble, as I said. His hubris was such that he gambled unwisely.

Qonundrum likes this.
  2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

maybe Hartnell was on holiday the week they filmed the episode. I think there were few episodes during the Hartnell and Troughton years where x was asleep/unconscious/something similar because actor who played x was having a holiday. The Wheel in Space was another. The Doctor is knocked unconscious to cover for Troughton getting a week off.

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. Christopher

Yeah, in season 1, they rotated through the cast members, giving them each 2 weeks off in consecutive serials:

"The Keys of Marinus": The Doctor "went on ahead" and was absent for 2 episodes.
    "The Aztecs": Susan was enrolled in Aztec school and was seen only in pre-filmed segments for 2 episodes.
    "The Sensorites": Barbara stayed behind on the Earth ship for no clear reason and was absent for 2 episodes.
    "The Reign of Terror": Ian was stuck in a pre-filmed prison cell for 2 episodes.

Qonundrum likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Vengeance on Varos over the last couple days, and I enjoyed it. It definitely seemed a bit darker than a lot of the Classifc Who've I've watched.
    Colin Baker was pretty good, he seemed a bit more agressive than most of the other Doctors. He was pretty good, but I'd rank him behind Tom Baker, Pertwee, and Davison, who pretty solidly placed as my top three Classic Doctors.
    I'm assuming Colin and Tom Baker are not related?

Qonundrum and Emperor-Tiberius like this.
  5. Christopher

Correct.

Qonundrum likes this.
  6. Marc

not in the least bit related.

Qonundrum likes this.
  7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

City of Death, the acting chops in the serial are great.

8. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It really might be the most exhilirating, fun serial of all of OldWho. A close second to Caves, for myself.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  9. Christopher

"City" is fun, but I could've done with a bit less of the "Tom and Lalla's Paris vacation home movies" bits.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

It is them basically doing the "running around corridors" in France, but we have to take it into account for the time. And for then, this was different! And I appreciate that, especially when it doesn't take away from the story itself at all.

Haggis and tatties likes this.
  11. Christopher

Except running around corridors is usually in pursuit of some goal, or eluding pursuit. This was just wandering around seeing the sights.

I don't mind that it was there, I just wish it hadn't gone on quite so long. I said "a bit less," not "none at all." It was fun (and I liked the music), but it wore out its welcome as it dragged on.

12. Emperor-Tiberius

Totally disagree. The pacing is faultless.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't bothered by those scenes, most of them happened at a point where it made sense.

14. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. City of Death is by far the best episode of this era. The sight seeing portion didn't detract but in fact added to the charm. There's also a ton of wit in it. Bunch of great lines.

Jinn likes this.
  15. Christopher

Again, not bothered, just wanting to move onto something else a bit sooner.

16. Marc

the sightseeing would be very much in the Doctor's character though I suspect Romana would have gotten sick of his stories very quickly :)

Mr Awe likes this.
  17. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And later on Jamie and Victoria skip an episode of Enemy, Jamie is only in the final location scene of Invasion 8, Ben and Polly both miss an episode of Power while taken prisoner, etc.

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it was the first time the series had filmed overseas, so they showed it off. Holds up a lot better than the various Michael J Bird series of the 70s, which really do seemed based on shouting "Yes, we really are fIlming in Malta/Cypress, look at that location!!!" now.

Mr Awe likes this.
  19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has Doctor Who filmed outside of England/Wales very often?

20. Christopher

It was rare in the classic series, more common today.