Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Great trailer. I like the tone. It doesn't look like the formulaic superhero movies we've been getting over the last decade. Sure, a lot of them were fun, but I'd prefer a fresher approach and so far, what I'm seeing here delivers.

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Yeah, Elisabeth - The Golden Age had fantastic music (that's what we hear in the epic portion of that trailer)

3. DrunkUncle

DrunkUncle Ensign Red Shirt

Did anyone watched Take Shelter with Michael Shannon? Something seemed familiar when I watched the MoS trailer again.

[​IMG]

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No... But he is a person wearing a fairly low cut neck line. Hell, look at the necklines of the S1/S2 uniforms of the TNG cast. Especially in the BD you can see chest hairs peaking out. Heck I've got chest hairs peaking out from a simple white undershirt.

5. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Oh, for heaven's sake, let's not make a debate out of this, shall we?! It was a detail that caught my eye and I thought it was kinda funny, something you don't expect. There's nothing more to it.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I have an interesting comment to make about the trailer. Its tone content reminds me of Superman Returns. Now depending on your opinion of that film, that is either a good or bad thing. The biggest complaint about that movie was it had so little action and was more of a character film. Based on this trailer alone it feels very similar. Even in the lighting and cinematography. It looks more like a Bryan Singer film, not just SR but his others, than anything Zack Snyder has ever done.

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Despite its flaws I actually enjoy SR. I do not think this movie will have the same tone. I think it will have a more realistic look than SR.

While SR did have a more serious tone than the Donner films, I think this movie will be more grounded in a real world look.

8. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The trailer is even more amazing on the big screen! (It was one of the trailers before The Hobbit.)

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Man of Steel is going to have a lot more action than Superman Returns. I don't think WB would allow for another movie like Returns especially how it under-performed to their expectations.

When Alan Horn (the then president of WB) talked about the performance of that movie at the time, he mentioned it needed more action. I think that's what they perceive as the biggest flaw of the movie. So I'm sure Man of Steel is going to have a lot more action to cater to that demographic expecting grandiose action in a summer blockbuster. Besides, I doubt Zack Snyder would make a movie that didn't have at least some stunning visual/action sequences! Haha.

To be honest, while the tone of Man of Steel is reminiscent of Superman Returns, I don't think they look visually at all alike. Returns had this 1930's, art deco, vintage kind of look and feel about it, with dark, muted colors. While Man of Steel definitely has some of that look, I think it feels and looks more like a Terrence Malick film than a Bryan Singer film. That's just my opinion, of course. I can see where people find similarities, but I think Man of Steel has a much more natural and organic look about it when it comes to the cinematography and the visual look of things, whereas Returns was much more polished and refined, if that makes any sense.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I never thought I'd say this, but I think I actually like Snyder's more naturalistic approach better. It fits better with the "Superman in the real world" idea versus the more stylish, comic booky world of Singer's movie.

Of course it's still to be seen whether the final product will be any better. Despite it's storytelling faults, SR is still directed really damn well.

11. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This movie is gonna be awesome! Amy Adams as Lois is a plus! :D

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's my take too. I think all the two have in common, at least judging by the trailers, is a sombre tone (and of course, the fact that they both feature Supes). But trailers can be misleading anyway and MOS is likely to take a very different approach from SR. Visually, I don't think they have much in common.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

This statue gives us a clean look at the costume. There is indeed yellow in the shield... at least in the statue. It might not appear for every shot.

I think that the cape is too long.

Link

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Makes him look like he has tiny little legs.

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I still don't like the texture. Other than that it's pretty good.

16. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I agree - the texture is too..reptilian? Pebbly?

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^I totally get a reptilian vibe.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the statue, don't have a problem with the texture of the suit.

19. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Smallville had a similar portrayal of take-off (around the 40 second mark):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG4DCpA28Ko[/yt]

20. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Watch it again. The pebbles slowly rise around him, start going faster the higher they get, and at a certain point, they start circling. They're definitely not bouncing up and down, they're floating.