BLURAY hype

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JesterFace, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The troll in 8472 is strong. I suggest ignoring that user; feeding him will only make him more enthusiastic.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I loathe region coding as well, but I cheated when it came to DVD my first DVD player, played all regions. :)

Fortunatly for blu-ray, many discs are region free.

3. Jewel

Jewel Ensign Red Shirt

What season of TNG has the best (ie the most extensive) special features? I don't own the DVDs (have seen all of the special features on them from library rentals though) and am interested in getting a season or two of the BluRays. I am a big fan of special features like cast and crew interviews, episode commentaries, visual effects development, etc. I'm mostly interested in Seasons 3-5. Thanks! PS I have looked at the threads in the TNG forum.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

DVD and 1080p are obsolete.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

No, not at all. Not even remotely.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

How? 1080p hasn't even reached a market saturation point and DVD's are still selling as well. The U.S. broadband infrastructure is still a ways away from being able to handle 4K video in a mass market setting.

EDIT: I'm watching a 1080p stream of "The Last Outpost" from Amazon Prime. With a PS4, hard wired to the modem that gets 50Mbps, it looks nowhere near as good as the Blu-ray's.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  7. AustNerevar

AustNerevar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think it's season 2 that has the 2013 cast reunion about an hour and a half long, great stuff. Season 3 has a great interview of the writing team from season 3 onwards hosted by Seth Macfarland. That's also about an hour and a ahalf long. I haven't got season 4 yet.

The special features for the first three seasons are excellent. An episode or two has commentaries. Blooper reels, etc. Great great stuff.

Do you even know what 1080p is?? HD is just now getting popular. It's hardly obsolete. And DVD probably won't be obsolete for another five to ten years.

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Kind of reminds me of a guy who haunted (probably still haunts) nolanfan.com, who uses his techspeak (a LITTLE knowledge is dangerous, he is proof of that) to explain how digital is 'superior' in rez and quality to any film. You can point to how real experts explain that you can't even capture all the qualities of anamorphic 35mm on an EIGHT-k scan, let alone 4k or 2k, and it just don't register.

9. Echtzeit

Echtzeit Lieutenant

The TNG Blu-Rays are amazing. Can't wait for DS9 to be remastered that way.

evil bob m and Richard S. Ta like this.
  10. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I love blu-ray and I think its a great format. However, sales on blu-rays have been described as anemic. Additionally, streaming, while certainly not reaching the levels of DVD or blu-ray are beginning to make some traction.

Personally, for space reasons, monetary reasons (I buy most titles on sale) and for my desire not to buy as many movies, I have cut back on my purchases of physical media considerably. More often than not, unless it's a movie I really, really, really need to see in full HD, I'll buy the streaming version. Hard drive space is cheap and doesn't take nearly the room as another shelf for my blu-rays. Honestly, more often than not, I'll rent a movie from Redbox. Case in point, while I own the entire series of TOS on blu, I have not purchased TNG and while the extras interest me, I'm more likely to purchase them on iTunes if and when they go on sale. But that's just me.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

12. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

This thread is ancient and wrong of me to post in it but I must confess how wrong I was, the new versions are just better.
    Streaming wasn't working once (year or two ago), had to use DVD to watch an episode.... what a blur. The difference was huge. Haven't gone back since. So far at least.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I miss VHS, where you could just fast forward through the opening bollocks. DVD and bluray unskippable menus are soooo lame, even if the picture quality exponentially improves.

Just wanted to say that before the inevitable lock.

Richard S. Ta and fireproof78 like this.
  14. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

You can get special blu ray players that can skip those intros. They never really bothered me.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

So you knew it was wrong and did it anyway?

[​IMG]

Richard S. Ta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.