MLP:FiM S4E10 "Rainbow Falls" - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Jan 18, 2014.

?

Episode Grade

Poll closed Jan 25, 2014.
  1. A

66.7%
  2. B

22.2%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

11.1%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Episode Title: "Rainbow Falls"
    Air Date: Jan. 18th, 2014

Summary: "Rainbow Dash and her Ponyville team arrive in Rainbow Falls to fly in the qualifying round of the Equestria Games when it becomes apparent that the competition definitely has a hoof up on them. Then, when the elite Cloudsdale team offers Rainbow Dash a spot on their top notch squad, she’s faced with making a tough decision about where her loyalties lie."

Live Streams:
    BronyState Theaters
    Brony Network
    Xyro HD Stream
    Worlds of Equestria

REMEMBER: DO NOT POST SPOILERS UNTIL AFTER 1:00 PM EST (6 PM UTC/GMT)

=-

So, according to Twitter and such, this episode has a surprise in it that should make fans' heads explode. I am eager to find out what it is. Also, this is a Rainbow Dash episode, which makes me happy. On to the episode!

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Ugh, really crappy name, heavy handed with the name-drop, complete voice change and now he can't fly after Hurricane Fluttershy? not a good start.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

They stuck with the trading card name.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Aaaaaand Derpy :lol:

http://derpibooru.org/527467?scope=scpec42cf5e76e972446367e6ce2c9f6a0b3a3f377e2

And Griffons, and the second key. :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  5. Peach Wookiee

Glad to see Derpy back. :) Take that, panicky parents who didn't consider her worth!

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

All hail the muffin queen. :)

7. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I figured she was coming back, but I still squealed like a girl when she appeared. :D

Another good-but-not-great episode. There were some laughs, some cuteness, a decent character arc for Dash that unfortunately it felt like we'd seen before (this episode was basically Wonderbolts Academy with the conflict form Sweet and Elite bolted onto it.) Not a the worst they've done, but not a classic either.

It gets a half-point boost from Derpy, however. :p

B.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Nice to see the Griffons back, with unique colour tones too. Someone at Hasbro even joked on Twitter "being French, they've already given up and gone home." lol

Twilight is definitely getting bigger, I wasn't sure before but she's growing another inch or two every few episodes. Love her gradual transformation in to Tara's character in Lollipop Chainsaw, kind of an adult shout out to make but cool.

Derpy! with lots of screen time even and an odd noise as Rainbow returns, and Habros tweets have already been coming out, she's not going anywhere apparently, so more Derpy for season 4. :D

So, both episodes we have the Pony in the title facing a challenge to their element, having to choose between their friends and their dream (call backs to Best Night Ever) and finding their key through that. A little predictable, but sweet. Episode 12 is Pinkie Pride and 15 is Twilight Time so I guess that'll be theirs.

And, strangely, both elemental episodes have had an Alicorn in the background. The security pony flying around in Manehatten and a yellow and green mare today. Wonder if that's somewhat deliberate.

Bulk Biceps? not liking the new direction, name etc but he was a fun addition for the episode. Fluttershy got plenty of screentime and moments too.

But, if the yellow Alicorn was allowed to compete, then Twilight could have (for Ponyville), unless being a princess it's considered favouritism.

Anyway, great episode.

9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting observation. People on derpiboo.ru have been tagging them as "animation error," but I wonder. I'd figured maybe they were doing it to make Twilight seem less unusual, what with her walking around openly and nobody noticing or caring that she's got wings and a horn.

10. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A+

Great EP. I don't think any EP of the series has been lower than a soild B.

Felt bad for Derpy. She was ready to suit up and then RD comes clean and flies for Ponyville. :wah: :p

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It would make 3 Alicorns in the background, the other being that filly one in Twilights flashback, if that counts. But they don't look like animation errors, the yellow one today turns up three times always from a new angle and does have scripted movements.

12. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Definitely a solid "A" from me as well. Twilight dressed Lollipop Chainsaw style was awesome, DERPY! *SQUEEEE*, Bulk Biceps in the dress and loving it (I giggled), we get to hear Fleetfoot (the awesome Andrea Libman!), Dash chooses her friends over the Wonderbolts! and as a result gains the latest key. Also, the scene in the hospital room where Bulk yells so loud Derpy drops the flag was just so cute! :lol:

All in all, an awesome episode. :D

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I figured everypony else was just trying very hard to act normal around their new princess like people sometimes act when they've spotted a celebrity.

Anyway, that was a nice episode. I disliked the name change for Snowflake but apart from that I really liked everything about the episode.

14. Peach Wookiee

^Apparently Bulk Biceps is his official name according to a card. A bit silly, but meh, Roid Rage was better than Snowflake. *Prepares to be banished to the moon*

15. Amaris

Amaris Guest

*prepares banishing cannon*

Eh...

*changes mind*

;)

16. Peach Wookiee

LOL. You know, the more I learn about the Wonderbolts... the more I see Rainbow getting disenchanted with them. Their way of life seems counter to the element she's held.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yep. A few of us were getting into that line of thought over on BK. It's possible that Dash will outgrow the Wonderbolts.

18. Peach Wookiee

And ultimately surpass them. I think on some level Spitfire realizes it.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Agreed.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Might as well ctrl-v my BK post then.

"They're spoiled Canterlot celebrities. Good fliers they may be but they're personalities leave a lot to be desired.

Dash is realising she's as good as any of them as a flier, but that she doesn't need to be part of their group to feel validated now, Twilight and the others fulfil that need, and in a far more healthy way, Dash knows that now.

The same as Rarity, I think we're going to have these 6 episodes this season to show them finally getting to see the reality of the dreams they've held, how it falls short of what they expected, that the people they wanted to join, are not only fallible, but deeply flawed.

They're growing beyond their dreams, finding everything they needed in each other."