Bridge Layout guess

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ancient, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyberius

Tyberius Commander Red Shirt

And there is no reason why it couldn't and many reasons why it would be nice if it did.

2. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

The bridge is like a merry-go-round. The kids love it. But it never quiiiite lines up afterwards.

3. ancient

There can be only one logical explanation: multiple nearly identical bridges!

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Either that, or we'll be having Carl Spock along soon to explain the differences between normal three-dimensional space, subspace, fluid space, folded space, seven-, nine- and eleven-dimensional space and...

[​IMG] ...funky space.

5. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

If the bridge really is rotated 36 deg to port (as the off center turbolift suggests) then Kirk was approximately in 'front' of the bridge. Also, the reverse angle used to show the crewmen frozen in position implied (IMO) that Kirk was able to see them this way. So to say (as CRA did upthread) that the notion of the viewscreen being a 'window' was never suggested in the show is not entirely correct.

---------------

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides, we're talking about a third season episode. Technical consistency was spotty at best.

We really don't know what exactly Kirk was looking at (maybe at some frozen crewmen through a window on Deck 2), only that his grumpy mug was filling the viewscreen.

As for the turbolift offset debate, as far as the producers and writers were concerned, the bridge faced forward, and if the turbolift was thought of at all, they just figured it slid off to the side before moving down (note how fast the two turbolifts arrive in "Squire of Gothos"; impossible if we're talking one vertical shaft, not to mention the time or two we see the motion indicator moving sideways before arriving at the bridge).

I just take the nubbin on the back of the dome out of play completely and make it the subspace radio transceiver array. :D

7. scotthm

If you can play fast and loose with the geometry of the Enterprise, why can't Abrams and Co.?

---------------

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Where was it ever specified in the series just what that thing was? ;)

Besides, I'm not doing anything more or less out of line than what they did back in the day, since it becomes clear after some research that, while they did work things out a lot more than other shows of the day *coughcoughLostInSpacecoughcough*, they didn't go to the nth degree like current shows and make sure the interior matched up with the exterior. It made sense, it worked, and who's gonna care in ten years anyway? Move on to the next item, like getting ready for the next five episodes that are in preproduction and making sure we make our airdates.

Also, I'm just a shmuck doodling on my laptop. What I do isn't gonna have any impact on the franchise, unless something changes at Pocket and they decide they do want to print my deck plans. And even then, any impact would be debatable.

What Abrams is doing has the potential to bring the whole thing to a screeching halt.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  9. scotthm

The key is that it has potential. Until that's realized, you don't know whether it's going to hinder or aid Star Trek.

I have a feeling that there's more than meets the eye to what we've seen so far anyway.

---------------

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh, anyone want to give another shot at it, now that we've seen the trailer?

Notably, I believe this is the first bridge design EVER to do something constructive with the forward area of the "pit" design. In the original TOS bridge, most TOS movie bridges, and arguably the Enterprise-E, the forward part of the sunken "pit" in the bridge is one of the most unused areas of any set. In practice this is the ideal area for the movie cameras to sit to shoot action, but in-context it's a giant, generally useless part of the compartment, sunken below the helm console for no real reason. Here, they actually put in secondary consoles for four people. Bravo!

Mark

11. ancient

Yeah, it's a pretty good idea, a good use of what is normally empty space.

Is it just me, or is the bridge much wider than long?

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, it's an oval.

The original TOS Enterprise had stations on the upper ring going right up almost to either side of the main viewer. The inner, lower area of the bridge was about seventeen feet in diameter.

13. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well bugger me, ive never ever ever noticed that. All the times ive watch WNMHGB and ive never noticed.

Although, some anlges seem decieving. However, its like Requiem for Methusilah, where Checkov is seen in his chair, with a console smack bang behind him.

14. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I read that it was done to save time when shooting... because Uhura would be in the shot without need to shift the camera position.

15. ancient

Ok, These new shots of the bridge are pretty useful, though the forward part is still a bit vague.
    [​IMG]
    There are two hostess stations, and two exits.

[​IMG]
    Not only is the viewer huge (and not a window), it's also closer to the helm consol, methinks.

[​IMG]

I like the new stations in front, but the stations in the back...Why is the lip of the station a foot thick? That woman in blue in the back has her knees up against it! She can't fit her legs under the consol. Seems very strange.

16. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I think the under console is one piece curved...

17. ancient

Looking at some of the earlier pics, It looks like the consol actually does bend in at an angle, so that was an illusion. :techman:

18. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

I still think it's a window/viewer combination.

19. ancient

Why? I don't see any real evidence of that in any of the pics, and there is no window on the outside of the ship from what we've seen.

20. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Judging by the looks of the 'viewer' in those promo-picture, the Kelvin's bridge-module and the fact that we haven't really seen the Enterprise's bridge-module clearly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.