Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Overlord, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You completely missed the context, there.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Watch the video BillJ linked.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember if I posted in this thread or not, as it's 57 pages, so I'm answering (possibly again).

Yes, the reboot was necessary. Star Trek had become stolid and mired in back breaking canon that left no room for innovation, save to head further into the future, and further away from the relatability that the near future had to offer. By rebooting, a fresh, new lease on the franchise was given, and the end result was a drastic increase in the mainstream popularity of Star Trek. We also got some nice, updated technology, and some updated characters while still making homages to the originals.

All in all, great move.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And, even if it wasn't "needed," why not?

Reboots are not the devil. Some people even like them. :)

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I always think that it's the Directors mark and not the fact that it's a reboot that defines the look and feel of the movie. I think we could have got away with updating the sets and having more action even if it was kept within continuity/canon. Since Kirk and Spocks early days are pretty much unexplored there was space to still play around and "update" Star Trek while still saying 'This is what the Star Trek world looked like then'. JJ Abrams is talented enough to do that. Obviously he can since he will be continuing the Star Wars story in the same Universe.

Story-wise it's difficult to blow up Vulcan in continuity without hitting the reset button. So if the story really required it then I guess they needed to reboot. But still, to me (as a Trek fan only) there is some kind of feeling that it's not really our Vulcan since it's in an alternate Universe and the other one is safe and sound.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, infinite versions of Vulcan can live on in our imaginations.

8. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure when it happened, but as I grew older I became far less precious about what 'really happened' in an imaginary continuity and got far more invested in whether or not the story I was watching/reading/playing was about real and relateable people. To see Spock taunted as a youth about his mother and then have him witness her death had a real impact, far more than the destruction of his made-up planet.

That being said, I'll probably raise holy hell when (or if) Bryan Singer's Battlestar Galactica movie gets made. There's only one Adama, and it's Edward James Olmos. ;)

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This. :techman:

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's called "growing up." :lol:

All that matters is whether you're enjoying the show you're watching right now.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Like the various versions of Oz, Wonderland, Krypton, Mongo, etc.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Like that version of Vulcan where the deserts are not sand but ice-cream. That's an awesome one.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

But not very logical.