Star Wars II and III 3D releases cancelled

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

PT3D = movies I can't stand in a format I despise... so no loss here lol. I'd rather see them concentrate on the new ones.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Adjusted for inflation, the prequels are beat by lots of movies.

TPM did okay because people didn't realize they were in for crap. Then they wised up. ROTS is #60 and AOTC is #87. Not so hot for one of the most famous franchises in the world today.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That sucks, I was really looking forward to seeing them in 3D.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

The official press release specifically says postponed, not cancelled.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Which could mean "straight to blu".

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm disappointed. My friend and I wre going to see all of them.

It seems there were "two Lucasfilms" for a while. There was the one Lucasfilm that was planning Episode 7, at first in secret, and the other Lucasfilm, run by McCullum, (who has since left) which, at the same time, was hoping to release 3-D films for the next five years.

Guess we know which one actually won out.

However, my opinion is that they should have kept their promise.. because promises will help keep the audience's good will. They should have released them all in 3-D. They said that they were disappointed in TPM's 3-D release. How can they be? It's a bad movie, and re-releasing a crappy movie again (3-D or not) won't change that.

7. Dick Whitman

You are all forgetting the obvious. 20th Century Fox would have been releasing these not Disney. I suspect that is the real reason for this. Fox will hold the distribution rights for I, II, III, V, VI theatrical, DVD and Blu-ray for a number of years until they revert to Lucasfilm. But the original film rights release rights are completely owned by Fox. This delay is due to legal issues. Even a Blu-ray release probably won't happen until all that is sorted out.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

They should have started with the original Trilogy. Showing the prequels so soon after their first release was kinda pointless. Still too fresh in peoples minds.

9. Dick Whitman

But the Original Trilogy is probably take a lot more time and money to convert. The Prequels were created using three dimensional computer graphics.

10. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I would have liked to seen the Original Trilogy on screen, I wasn't born when they came out originally and my parents didn't take me to see the Special Editions. Still seeing the Prequels once was enough.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

LEGO makes sets for what's coming out, what's coming out in Lego is the never ending Clone Wars crap. Even if episode 4-5-6 did come out, they still wouldn't make that many, there is nothing new there.

However we get a new A-Wing, Jabba’s Sail Barge, a Hoth set, and the 2012 sets are still around. There is a X-Wing, TIE fighter, Endor set, Jabba's Palace, Y Wing, a big B Wing and a mini R2D2. What else do you need?

12. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Aha! I'm sure you're right. :)

13. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cloud City, baby. The 2003 release goes for around $1000.00, which really couldn't be any less reasonable.

And since you asked, how about a Medical Frigate, a Max Rebo band, a decent USC version of Mos Eisley, an Ewok village would be nice, an awesome Degobah swamp Jedi training set... and hey, why the hell not? Let's do the Yavin 4 rebel base while we're at it.

14. bigdaddy

I don't know what half the crap you listed is. So why would LEGO make them? LEGO makes stupid ships because it has a TV show to follow.

The good news about more movies is more none prequel set.

And we will be getting an ewok village set. Probably in September.

15. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

This is amazingly good news.

16. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Huh. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It is the worst of the three, after all.

17. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

If they were smart they would permanently lock the prequels in the Disney vault.

18. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah. Kids loved the prequels and they made a bucketload of money for everyone involved. I'm guessing that the change in release dates has way more to do with the aforementioned legal issues than anything associated with the film's creative merit.

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I couldn't care less about episodes II or III, but I've never seen the OT in theatre, and I was really looking forward to them, 3D or no 3D.

Well, it's still going to happen, sooner or later, I guess...

20. bigdaddy

Julie Bowen from Modern Family, Boston Legal, Ed, won't show her son the prequels. He's a huge OT fan, and she hates the prequels so much she doesn't own it.

Plus her thought is if everyone saw the OT first, it was nearly 20 years between the trilogies. When her son is older the amount of time will be closer to the same.