Your favorite TITAN novel....

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Jul 5, 2013.

?

What's your favorite Titan novel??

1. Taking Wing

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. The Red King

5 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Orion's Hounds

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  4. Sword Of Damocles

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Destiny

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  6. Over A Torrent Sea

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. Synthesis

19 vote(s)
    24.7%
  8. Seize The Fire

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Fallen Gods

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I included Destiny as part of the overall Titan series, since Titan is involved heavily in the story, integral to the plot of not only Destiny, but also the continuing development of the Titan series itself.

And even though I love Destiny, and could read it once or twice a year, it's not my favorite Titan, mostly because Troi annoyed the hell out of me in that novel, acting completely irrational. Now, I fully understand WHY she would act like that, most people would under such circumstances, but Troi has been known to stay very level-headed in extreme situations, and at times she just felt out of character during Destiny.

Seize The Fire may have TP in the cover, but it's basicly a Titan story, involving the Typhon Pact.

2. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Destiny is great though I'm not overly fond of the Titan characterisation in that - particularly Troi and Ree.

Of the main Titan novels I'll go for Orion's Hounds as the strongest mix of science fiction ideas and character work.

All the other books up to and including Synthesis are enjoyable but then the quality fell off a cliff with the last two being almost unreadable.

3. Mage

You'll find that most people agree with you on that.

4. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted for Orion's Hounds, since it was the first "real" Titan novel, the first that really took the concept and ran with it and made it an integral part of the story. And of course so well written to boot. My only minor niggle was that the Proplidian might have pushed my suspension of disbelief a titchy bit too far, but other than that excellent.

Taking Wing - A solid start with great characters and great set-up. Just a shame that the story is completely unconnected to the Titan concept, although I realize that was dictated by Nemesis.

The Red King - Slightly weaker than TW, and even less connected to the central concept, but still solid enough.

Orion's Hounds - See above.

Sword of Damocles - An interesting story, but too twisty-turny for my taste, even though that seems to be the appeal for others. Also this is when the editing problems started to creep in.

Destiny - The Titan parts of this were actually my favourite, and I like the way it made time to explore and conclude several character arcs from the other books even while the apocalypse is going on.

Over a Torrent Sea - A lovely quiet piece in which to recover, with a delightful exploration of a truly new alien culture.

Synthesis - Another great example of the series' actual concept. I feel like I remember the characterisations being slightly off, but I can't remember why, so maybe I'm talking bollocks there.

Seize the Fire - I actually really enjoyed the exploration of Gorn culture, that was well done. But the writing was clumsy, dialogue unconvincing, and editing poor.

Fallen Gods - Started well, but then the same problems as previous crept in, and the Andorian "twist" was absolutely groan-worthy. And I hate (underline hate) that he effectively killed off White-Blue. Had MAM continued writing the series, I probably wouldn't have continued reading.

The Poison Chalice - Cannot wait. Possible redemption for the entire series. No pressure there, James.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Titan has been hit an miss for me. The last two have been unreadable, while the first five were quite good. Especially Over a Torrent Sea by Christopher :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

I really liked Over a Torrent Sea, with the exception of the Ree subplot near the end.

7. Mage

I actually re-read Over A Torrent Sea last week, and although I like it, the science was getting in the way for me in that one. Usually, I love how Christopher is able to blend science and fiction so well together, but in this one, it really was a bit to much for me.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sword of Damocles and Synthesis were my favorites. Loved the expanded cast of characters, especially Dakal. Definitely my favorite Treklit-original premise, though often the premise was superior to the actual execution.

9. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

I have loved all of the Titan novels except for the very most recent one. I really enjoyed Seize The Fire, I thought it gave us a great insight into the Gorn, and then the next one was just flat and seemed to end because the author had reached his contractually mandated word count.

10. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I voted for Orion's Hounds but like a lot of other posters here, Synthesis was a close second.

11. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

That's actually why I loved it, I think.

What I wouldn't give for a Trek book that's entirely sciencey, with little drama or conflict to get in the way of it. It'd never happen, and I wouldn't want EVERY Trek book to be like that, but one or two? Heck yeah.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Synthesis gets top spot from me. I was spellbound. I also want to say that I enjoyed the unpopular-around-here Typhon Pact:Seize the Fire and Titan: Fallen Gods a great deal.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

+1

You know those novels that start with 'Captains Log - we have spent the last two weeks studying the Parmesan Nebula...' when something more chasey and shooty happens ?

Let's not have the chasing and shooting. As long as theres plenty of character stuff and interesting science going on, let's have two weeks studying the Parmesan Nebula !

And yes, I did vote for 'Over A Torrent Sea' - not a coincidence...

14. Mage

As do I, like I said. I love the perfect blend between science and fiction in Christopher's work. But, for me personally, it was a bit to heavy towards the science in OATS. Then again, oceanography doesn't really appeal to me at all, so that could have left me biased. But I loved the science in GTTS for example, or in The Buried Age.

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Synthesis and over a torrent sea.Also Sword of Damocles

16. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I totally agree, I would love to read something like that.

17. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Titan is my favorite TrekLit series, and has been from the start. I agree that the last two books have not been up to the standard set by previous entries.

I love the series, but I selected Orion's Hounds (one of my favorite novels ever; nails the strange new worlds concept for the series), Sword of Damocles (love time-twisty tales), and Synthesis. But really, I love most of them.

I'm very much looking forward to Swallow's The Poisoned Chalice. I want to see the series return to form.

18. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hope we see a bit more of the Will Riker we've known all these years...in many of the novels he seems to be so weighed down with command decisions that we never really see the old jovial leadership style from when he was first officer.

19. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

I totally loved "Orion's Hounds" and "Over A Torrent Sea". They are totally sci-fi with lots of strange new worlds and exploration. Bennett reads write such novels like no other.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Am I alone in wanting to see Thomas Riker again ?

I know Titan may not be the ideal setting (TNG or DS9 is a better fit in many ways) but he needs to be where Will and Deanna are at first.

I think he could be incorporated in one of the other titles as a regular once he was 'back'.