Movies that OFFEND you

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Konata Izumi, May 24, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the heads up.

2. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

The Human Centipede.

That's all.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I'll say right now, I've not seen this movie and have no interest in seeing it. But even hardcore gore hounds that I know, that have seen it, hate it and rage quit it:

A Serbian Film.

4. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

I don't know what possessed me to watch Centipede on Netflix. I guess I figured it couldn't be as bad as people were saying, that it was some colossal hoax.

It wasn't as bad as people said. It was worse. What in the name of Christ would possess a director and producer to make the effort to film that loathsome, repulsive piece of shit?

5. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Well I guess it's possible that no matter what you do in your film or book, you may well insult someone, somewhere!

You've probably got people who refused to watch DS9 because it showed another religion, people who turned away from Doctor Who and Torchwood because of Captain Jack Harkness, households that banned Xena because of the subtext. There's a reason that many gay movie and TV stars used to take great efforts to hide their sexuality from the public.

Back to the Private Ryan example there was a furor in the UK when two characters criticized Montgomery. Well, guess what? American soldiers DID criticize Montgomery! Well, should a writer avoid characters using dialogue that people may disagree with, but is right for the characters?

I may see a movie and think "cool" whereas someone else may want all copies gathered together and publicly burned!

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Money. Make something as weirdly loathsome as possible on a tiny budget, and watch the cash of curious gore-seekers pour in.

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeppers. These movies make their money on the "OMFG!!!" reactions of a few people leading to more people seeking the films out do to curiosity and/or being gore-hounds.

8. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Read about it on Wikipedia, forgot about it for a few hours, pondered a bit and decided it sounds like the best film ever.

Geronimo.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not so much 'offend', more like 'annoy', but...

Starship Troopers.

Turned a serious novel into a damn joke. And Paul Verhoeven might want to keep in mind that without the war he considers so fascist, he'd be living under fascism right now.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Care to explain?

11. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

My take on "offended" is a personal attack against my being or values. I can't say any movie has shaken me that way. I may disagree, be turned off or disgusted, and even be angry after watching a movie, but I've never been offended.

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Verhoeven lived in the Hague as a child during WWII, his opinions are informed by actual visceral, violent experience. You might want to keep that in mind when you summarily dismiss his views with banal one liners.

13. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Verhoeven deliberately made it slightly satirical - look at the jingoistic propaganda vids like where the kids are showing support for the war by stomping on cockroaches with a woman insanely jumping and clapping for joy in the background for example.

Also, the film makers DID want to use the battlesuits, but during pre-production they just couldn't find a way to avoid making them too cartoony, and there was a fear that all the characters would look the same.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Verhoeven's exact quote, IIRC, was "War makes fascists of us all." Which is of course his right to believe. But without war - without World War II, specifically - his country and probably the whole world would be living under Nazi domination, even today.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  15. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you seriously believe he doesn't know that Allied retaliation in WWII was necessary?

The film is a satire on media and government exploitation of patriotism, it's not specifically an anti-war movie.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Well, I sure do hope that he - and everyone else - does know that. But I can only go by what he said (the quote comes from the DVD commentary) and how shitty the movie was.

It would have been better if 1) Verhoeven had bothered reading the book to the end, and 2) the film hadn't started out as some other thing completely unrelated to the book but with the name hastily slapped on at the last minute (similar to I, Robot).

17. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I don't know the context in which he said it, but it strikes me as an infuriatingly glib and simplistic statement. I'm sure Verhoeven is aware that if the Allies hadn't gone to war to defeat the Nazis, he and his compatriots would be speaking German now.

(Although it's not really all that different from Dutch.)

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Not to mention completely untrue...

...for that very reason. :)

19. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

review I'll have to add that "A real, happy Serbian Family." has to be one of the coolest lines ever, in its hilariously inappropriate hubris.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I despise CAPRICORN ONE with all the seething hate of the Nine Hells.

Bart Sibrel's birthplace.