Spoiler revealed in new game trailer set in NuUniverse?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

In the old days I always loved it when someone would occasionally ask how to get to Romulus.

I'd be like, well, first you gotta go to the Klingons and get a ship with a cloaking device because you're gonna have to cross the Neutral Zone...

asker: :rolleyes:

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are humans and Romulans doing fighting their war in "the southernmost part of the galaxy"?:p

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^A better question is, how would the Enterprise have gotten to "the southernmost part of the galaxy" in the first place? That line doesn't even really make sense. The episode also mentioned that Cheron is in the direction of the Coalsack Nebula, which is in the southern sky as seen from Earth, so that's presumably what the thinking was behind that line, but in terms of actual galactic structure it's kind of meaningless.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought the thinking behind the line extended no further than as a metaphor for the racist culture in the United States South, and that choosing a reference in the southern sky served only to further the metaphor. Never once did I think it was intended to stand up to any literal scrutiny.

5. F. King Daniel

Here's what I used to think of when I heard "southernmost part of the galaxy"
    [​IMG]
    (hey, it is kinda close to Romulan space, after all!)

6. Christopher

Well, no -- galactic north and south would be up and down from the plane of the page.

7. F. King Daniel

I figured they'd define "north" as Earth > galactic centre.

I don't think it's too much different to the arbitrary alpha/beta/gamma/delta quadrant designations.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. Christopher

No; since all astronomy prior to the past few decades was done from the surface of the Earth, north and south in the heavens are defined relative to north and south on Earth. The Earth's equator is not directly aligned with the galactic plane, but they're close enough that galactic north and south are defined as perpendicular to the plane of the galactic disk.

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

My thoughts exactly. :p