TBBS Fanfic Recommendations

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Naraht, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Naraht

Naraht Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My hope for the writing contest that is ongoing now is that everyone who enters will read everyone else's work, and comment on it. This is workable because all the stories are going to be under 1000 words. It hasn't happened yet, but I can dream...

EDIT: It's also worth noting, in a general way, that feedback and recommendations are not the same thing. All stories deserve feedback, but not all stories deserve to be recommended.

2. mackillian

mackillian Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd be happy to help in setting up a crit group.

3. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

It looks interesting, but I have a really short attention span. I was more looking for something about half that length? It looks like it's good quality, though.

4. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, now that I've been haunting around here for a few months, I've found much of the work here to my liking.

Here's my current top 3 favorites that I'd recommend to others. Be advised, all 3 are fairly long, involved stories, but the character development inherent to each of them is part of the draw for me.

Walter Sochack's Rust Red series is top-notch, a very different take on the Trek universe from a unique perspective.

The next two stories are set in similar time periods and locations, mainly post-Dominion War Cardassia. Both give a cold, hard look at the stark realities of peacekeeping in a land where those who've ostensibly come to help are looked upon as invaders and occupiers.

DarKush's ST: Aegis - "The Valley of Peace" : Follows a troubled captain and his crew on a mission with galactic repercussions if they fail. It's a terrific read, which flows well and has both plenty of action as well as wonderful character development. These are characters you'll want to stay in touch with in forthcoming adventures.

Rat Boy's ST: Yorktown - "Preserve, Protect, & Defend" : Tells the story of a newly minted captain given an unenviable assignment that could lead to plunging the quadrant back into war. Again, fantastic character development that sets up a series that begs for additional episodes.

And that would be my $0.02

DarKush likes this.
  5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would be remiss if I didn't recommend Gibraltar's Star Trek Gibraltar story, "Embers of the Fire". It can currently be viewed at Trek Writer's Guild.
    It is set in the immediate Dominion War post-war period with a Starfleet crew that is bare bones and believable, on a ship considered more work horse than thorough bred, so its definitely a view of Trek that's not seen often.

Gibraltar likes this.
  6. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I recommend almost anything from Samanthat Quinn (although if you're a big fan of Archer, she rarely shows him in a positive light, so please proceed with causion)

link

"Unfulfilled" is my favorite. :)

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Is it possible to show Archer in a positive light? :devil:

8. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Anyone who could do it convincingly, would be instantly considered a god among men (or a goddess among women).

Also, I too recommend Embers of the Fire by Gibraltar. :)

DarKush and Gibraltar like this.
  9. Rigil Kent

Rigil Kent Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some of us actually do try...even if it is amazingly difficult. :rolleyes:

I'll add my voice for Cry Havoc by MissAnnThropic. Yeah, it's a ship fic for Tucker & T'Pol but it's a whole lot more than just that. She works in battles and butt kicking and a more realistic Terran response to the Xindi attack...

10. Towerwatcher

Towerwatcher Captain Captain

I can recommend Immune Link to story

It was chosen as favourite story by a few at House of Tucker and it's a good read.

It's a PG13 fic which mostly deals with Trip, but shows Archer in a good light.

11. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a beef with this in general. I think it's good writing for the author to like all the characters. Otherwise it's propaganda. To give the readers a hint, the next series of this fic has Tucker having sex with T'Pol two feet away from Archer. :wtf: And although I may like Archer, I would feel the same way about Tucker.

The writer should understand all the characters. I want it from my Star Trek writers, I want it from the fan fic ones as well.

12. nog

nog Captain Captain

Heres another vote for Rat Boy's Yorktown stories. I just read the first story "Preserve, Protect & Defend" last week, and I was blown away by the quality. The plot, characters & action are all written exceptionally.

The second story "The Road to Hell", has been just as good so far. Definitely a series to check out. :thumbsup:

13. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a vote for Admiral2's excellent tale, The God Machine. It's set in an alternate-Trek Pike-era universe, similar to (but not identical) the one we know. All the familiar races are here, but Starfleet's a leaner, meaner, more military organization.

Anyhow, great stuff, and I highly recommend folks give it a read. There's a link to it on Admiral2's post here on the fanfic page.

14. Towerwatcher

Has anyone even tried to read Immune? I cannot understand the idea of asking for recommendations if you are going to ignore the replies. :confused:

15. kEROTH

kEROTH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, thanks, I did access the link to Immune and read it. Indeed, I try to read as much of the recommended fic as possible, especially when the lnks are provided.
    An interesting story, although I confess that ENT fanfic isn't my cup of tea.

16. Towerwatcher

Sorry for being so catty. I love this fic, s'all.

17. Hoshi's sis

Hoshi's sis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll recommend this Anna as well. Samantha Quinn is an excellent writer with really well written stories.

Towerwatcher, I agree Immune was a wonderful well written story that had me in tears towards the end. I refused to put it down until I had finished the story, despite it taking all of 3 hrs to do so. Well worth a read.

18. Hoshi's sis

Hoshi's sis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really, I just find this statement odd considering how out of character you have written T'Pol and Tucker in some of your stories. :wtf:

Personally I think everyone is going to have some kind of bias in their stories. It only really bothers me when they take it to the extreme. At least Samantha Quinn kept her writing of Archer in characterisation of how he was shown in S1 and S2.

19. Jedikatie

Jedikatie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd like to recommend Rigil Kent's series of Enterprise stories. While Trip and T'Pol are together, the stories are not solely about them. The stories deal with the start of the Romulan War. And there are a whole slew of new characters besides the crew we know.

Elysium

Star Trek Endeavour: Vigrid

Star Trek Endeavour: Ragnarok

20. boushh

boushh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just a word about Samantha Quinn's stories mentioned above.

One thing to keep in mind is that they are AU so the situations the characters find themselves in end up changing them from the characters they were on the show. That has to be taken into account. I do understand that there are those who dislike AU, so maybe this type of story may not be for all.

The other thing is that the perception of the characters is largely dependant on the POV of the character that the sections are written in. If the section is written from the POV of a character that dislikes Archer for example, (since he came up), then you have to take into account that the opinions of Archer are from that character's POV and consistent for that character.