My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me neither! I thought she was shrieky and Tom insipid. Well I still think he's a bit insipid but the relationship works quite well and is believable to me now. I really like how B'Elanna is in a constant state of sass. Her antagonism towards 7 is lots of fun as well as being nicely realistic. The Borg are terrifying, it would make more sense to have crew members deeply uncomfortable or hostile especially with a bunch of Borg tech still buried in 7's skull.

2. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I think the reason we don't see Joe Carey for so long is because he's hiding from Seven. Likely, he asked Naomi for a good hiding place and never looked back.

I'm still working on the perfect expanation for where he is in Seasons 2 and 3, though.

3. teacake

I feel some Carey/Flotter slash coming on..

Might have to lie down now.

4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

"Flotter and the Ogre of Fire Cancel Each Other Out As Joe Carey Fades Away"

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    VOY has some really under-utilised and wasted potential. Carey was one. Seska definitely. And I wish they'd had Ballard as a regular, and a lot earlier. She really lights up the screen that penultimate season.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed 100%
    Roxanne Dawson really knew her character from the start and owned it every time she appeared.

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Be careful to remember how far into the Series the First Time Watcher is, guys. This last episode she is discussing in only Episode 2.13, so, you really should avoid discussing things beyond that

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Prototype was a neat episode and had a crazy oldschool scifi feeling to it with two robot civilizations bent on each other's destruction.

I never thought much of Torres being she was often a self parody. The snarling Klingon chick who routinely smashes things is the engineer and all. But this was a good episode for her. If they wrote Torres like this consistantly she would've been one of the stronger characters in the series.

9. teacake

Oh yes! Sorry about that.

10. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Thank you, I was trying to skim them so I did not absorb too much!

11. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Still new to BBS. Only really started posting to the site a couple of days ago and came across some pretty snarky folks; last one spoiled a good discussion by categorically informing me that "Voyager was stupid" (as if that refuted the point I had made). Life is too short to engage in uncivilized discourse, so I thought I'd come here and be among friends of the series, before giving up on that whole forum thing entirely ...

Anyway, I found this thread and am enjoying going through the first-time experience with you, Qutluch. I write fan fiction and recently have been having exchanges with a reader who was doing the same thing (apparently inspired, I'm happy to say, by a couple of my episode-based vignette type pieces). Your and her comments remind me of when I discovered the series -- a mere three years ago, when I bought all 7 seasons on DVD after watching all of Next Gen with my daughter and looking for something else.

I have found Voyager to be the best of all the series in terms of character development and interaction -- the reason it is the most popular with fan fiction writers, I believe. There are some dud episodes, to be sure, and some glaring inconsistencies in the writing, but overall it works. (And the gaps give us FF authors stuff to work with ...)

As for Prime Directive issues ... well, let's just say consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. :p It gets dealt with in rather interesting (and at times aggravating) ways in later seasons -- just as it does in all the other series.

Look forward to what you have to say when you get to Threshold and Investigations (including the three episodes leading up to it), which are very interesting for Tom Paris' character arc.

I am rather jealous that all this still lies before you ... :)

AF

12. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Welcome to the BBS, if I might say so - I am very new to this myself. I am currently rewatching the show, which is great fun. Haven't seen it since it first aired on tv.

Its nice that you like Paris as well. I saw that his character is quite debated in the forum. IMO his character development was much more interesting than Chakotay's. Paris was allowed to pull more stunts and do mistakes which makes him more human and authentic.

I checked out your fanfiction link and just read the story about Mickey the yellow Leola root rodent. I love it! Wonderful humour - had me laughing couple of times!
    Thanks a lot.

13. Qutluch

14. Qutluch

I just went to my first Trek Convention in Las Vegas today. WOW!!! I had so much fun! I had my picture taken with Aron Eisenberg and I had Brett Spiner sign my five-foot tall poster of Data! The TNG session was the best! I have a new found respect for Marina Sirtis. She was absolutely hysterical and Spiner does an awesome Picard impression. The costumes were awesome! I have decided that I am definitely dressing up next year. I am leaning toward a Klingon, but I am open to suggestions. Can anyone suggest a good costume website?

15. teacake

This is so cool. SO COOL. It's wonderful!! I'm super happy for you :D

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm jealous! Have fun over there! I'll make one, someday. :p

17. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I think she's a much much better comedienne than dramatic actor and wish she'd do more comedy. Could say the same for Frakes too.

18. Alpha Flyer

Alpha Flyer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I met Sirtis at the Ottawa Comicon and yes, she was hilarious in her panel and very kind and friendly in the autograph queue (my 14-year-old was with me, and she responded very nicely to that star-struck young thing). A friend of mine had bound all of my fan fiction output into a book, which I got both her and John de Lancie to autograph, and she wasn't at all freaked out by the utter geekishness of it ... :techman: De Lancie is also wonderfully funny and interesting to listen to.

19. Qutluch

The convention was great, and Sirtis would do awesome in a comedic role. She had me rolling with laughter!

20. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Did you go to the Voyager session?