Trailer for SyFy's The Expanse

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5gXIQmY-E[/yt]

2. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

This is the only new show coming out that I have any interest in, primarily because I've read the first book of the expanse series, Leviathan Wakes. Supposedly the first season is based on that book but if so then I'm seeing some material in that trailer that I don't remember. Hopefully the writers haven't strayed too far from the original story. It would be nice to have a good space opera on television again.

3. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I just finished the second book. Color me impressed with that trailer! It looks way better than I had even hoped for.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know. It looks a little too low-budget for my taste but I will reserve judgment until I actually see it.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why would you region lock a trailer for a TV show on YouTube that's going to be released worldwide? I just don't get it.

Do you have another link for your neighbours in the north?

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Wow, that looks fantastic. Can't wait.

7. Locutus of Bored

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

A rare WOW from me! I do have part of the Expanse series in book form.

RAMA

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Coolness!

But next time, try to include some additional material, an opinion, a review, or something like that, instead of just the trailer itself.

10. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, beats me. We tend to get that a lot! Reminds me of a singer who went solo and his debut single was region-locked from the country of origin, ie nobody in his own country could see it. I still don't see the logic in that and they never fixed it.

Anyway, never did read the book, although I picked it up for Christmas and looking forward to reading it.

11. Locutus of Bored

^ Did that other video I posted work for you or is that one region blocked too?

If you use Firefox, you can get around the region coding with these proxy server add-ons:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/proxmate/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/proxtube/?src=cb-dl-mostpopular

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-unblocker/

I'm sure there are equivalent ones for Chrome and so forth.

I've also occasionally run into that issue with American musicians having videos which are region blocked in the US, even though the album is being made and sold here. It's bizarre and counterproductive, to say the least.

12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that one you posted did work. Thanks :)

13. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Well it def looks like they are including a major character from the second book who isn't in the first one at all. Likely so that they can include an Earth storyline, whereas the first book takes place entirely in space or around the outer planets and we don't see Earth until book 2.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that works great. Thanks.

You know that completely slipped my mind. I use the Chrome extension Hola to access the American Netflix, but it never once occurred to me to use it to watch trailers.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Looks cool! Syfy looks like it is making better quality shows.

16. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I really liked this... I had heard that they had gotten the rights to the series, but I have no idea that it was this far along.

But I'm impressed. The visuals seem to match the books pretty well, and I'm really impressed with the zero-G shots. I'm not sure how they did them, but it looks good. Otherwise it looks like a much higher budget Babylon 5, and as a huge B5 fan that is not a problem for me! :)

This series - for those who haven't read it - Is very much a low-tech space opera that is taking place over the whole solar system, with 3 major competing powers. Earth, Mars, and the "belters". (outer solar system) The story mostly follows the crew of a small frigate (and a detective) as they are trying to solve a mystery.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Were there any characters at all in that trailer?

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Main characters from books? Yes, several.

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

I have not read the book but having read the wikipedia entry for it, the background story reminds me of a little of the Gundam storyline, where Earth fights her colonies.

20. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

It has Thomas Jane and Kristen Hager in it, plus some cool character actors, and it's set in space, without (it would seem from the trailer) aliens or space magic.

I'm in, baby!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015