Unidentified Spacecraft in Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

How so?

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's having a midlife crisis and overcompensating.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Hate to think what that means for the Newton having two secondary hulls.

4. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You say that like its a good thing. We've gone from a universe with what I'd call fairly consistent design rules to a universe with super-duper-gigantic ships of badass where "rule-of-cool" is the order of the day.

Sure, consistent rules are less fun, but they help create consistent s-f universes, which helps create verisimilitude. Everything in Star Wars looks like Star Wars. Everything in Star Trek looks like Star Trek. Except now, not so much.

5. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Then what about the change from the Galaxy-class to the Sovereign-class between TNG/GEN and FC? They changed an elegant and futuristic design to a very aggressive-looking one that seems to scream out "look how keeewl"! And within the same "universe", and from one movie to the next, and for no reason whatsoever other than for changeĀ“s sake.
    NuTrek is Trek re-imagined, so a change in design was inevitable and necessary - the change from Galaxy to Sovereign was not! And if you compare the respective ship designs, IMO the change from Galaxy to Sovereign is much more extreme, than that from the TMP-Enterprise to the nuTrek-Enterprise.

Mario

6. Captain Jed R.

This is really off topic further than it should be beyond my one comment, but:

The Sovereign design shares many similarities with the Galaxy design, in terms of hull detail, shapes used. It's a different step certainly, as one might expect from an evolved design with a different purpose, but it's consistent in universe. It's details are consistent, how it fires it's weapons is consistent. It's interiors are consistent with others. Other ships introduced in the movie are also consistent in shapes and details. They all fire the same kind of weapons. They're clearly part of the same universe.

While it may not be from the minute the Kelvin appears, from the moment you see her cavernous factory engineering, or see her fire the little bolt turrets, there's a totally different thing going on. Within it's own universe, it's consistent, but as something meant to be part of Star Trek? It establishes different rules for how technology works within the setting from the get go, and a lot of those rules seem to be less rules and more "go with what looks awesome".

(And as a side note, of course the new Enterprise is less of a step away from the TMP Enterprise - it bolts the TMP saucer on a new star drive section. Badly, In my opinion.)

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Kelvin is directly based off of the Saladin class from the 1970's, the Vengeance is largely taken from the Dreadnought class in the same publication, and the 1701 in this universe has new curves and proportions, but is based entirely off the 1701 series and movie design.

Even the Armstrong, Newton and Mayflower are taken from the Miranda in general design.

They have the saucers, stardrives (on some of them) and nacelles, distinctively Trek in appearance.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet 25 years later the Enterprise fires the same kind of phasers and photon torpedoes we saw in TMP and WoK. Even if they were something different, it's obviously not something Starfleet stuck with in either timeline.

And if you took the decks away from the TOS or TMP Engineering hulls, you'd probably have something looking a lot like the Kelvin or Enterprise's in the new movies - machinery, conduits and catwalks.

Your reaction reminds me of mine when I first saw the Defiant - a Millenium Falcon rip-off without nacelles that fires like a Bird of Prey? Yeesh.

9. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Errr I assume I'm late to the party on this one but......

Why is there a RED ship? :confused:

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The red ones go faster.

11. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How else are they going to harvest red matter?

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing it was built on Vulcan. It's the same coloration that the Vulcan ships in Star Trek: Enterprise (one of which is seen very briefly in the Vulcan sky in ST'09) have.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Red ship = 4we50me!!!

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Oh, that's just Captain von Richthofen's ship...

15. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very good question! :D Check out a thread I started on the mysterious red ship, also seen at the spacedock:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=213985 :mallory:

16. Captain Jed R.

The red did confuse me a bit, I admit. Although it could be that there's a really funny story behind that red starship. Damn, that'd be cool to see.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

It just got back from killing the space amoeba, they haven't cleaned it off yet.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'm curious as to what exact design, shape and hull details are consistent between the Galaxy and Sovereign classes? Beyond them sharing the same basic configuation (saucer, secondary hull, nacelles) that all Jefferies-inspired ships have.

19. Captain Jed R.

The saucer is basically the same shape, albeit rotated 90 degrees. Similar phaser strips to most ships of the era, including the E-D which started the trend. It's nacelles are more consistent with Voyager but still similar (in fact, Voyager seems to have some intermediary elements - same hull colour as D, similar nacelles to E). Similar hull details also exist in the existence of the escape pods. Let's not ignore that it's also designed to be evocative of earlier designs: yay for the Excelsior esque secondary hull, the extended nacelle pylons similar to Constitution-refit... it looks like a member of the fleet, it looks post-TNG, it looks consistent. To me, anyway. Differing perspectives et al.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

It really looks nothing like the Galaxy-class. As a matter-of-fact on these boards numerous times, I've described the Sovereign-class as them taking the Excelsior, Constitution-refit and Intrepid-classes smashing them together and then stomping on it.

The design has none of the grace of the Galaxy-class and felt like a major step backwards. For something that actually looks like an evolution of the Galaxy-class, you should go to the Trek Art forum and take a look at the Grandeur-class designed by Vektor. In my mind, that is what the Enterprise-E looks like. :techman:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=8291140&postcount=1271