Voyager on blu ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by borgboy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

With TOS, TNG and ENT getting the blu ray treatment, and I've heard DS9 is getting released in 2014 in blu ray, I wondered if anyone had heard any news about Voyager coming out on blu ray? I think that with all the other series getting put on blu ray Voyager would too, probably in 2015, but I haven't heard any news about it yet. It makes sense that TOS, TNG and DS9 would get released before Voyager as that was their original release order. It does seem a little odd that ENT was jumped ahead, but I assume it being a newer show was more "blu ray ready" and required less restoration.
    Even though I have all the DVDs, I'd upgrade to blu ray.
    On a slightly related note, I heard a rumor several months back about a possible Voyager animated movie. I doubt that it's true, but I wondered if anyone else had heard anything.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know I keep saying that I spent 10 years acquiring all of Trek on dvd and there was no way I was going through all that again with blu-rays. But this year I was in a dvd store and they were playing The Empire Strikes Back on blu ray on a big ass screen and it was so very beautiful I got choked up. So someday I might have to up my tech and VOY on blu ray might be what makes me do it.

I do think DS9 looks godawful sometimes though and I'm glad they are doing that one next.

3. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well all ENT had to do to become Blu-Ray is show up.

Post S3 Voyager would look spectacular IMO in HD

4. Madzilla

Madzilla Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ooh, actually I heard something about this last week! I went to the Trek con in San Francisco, and Tim Russ mentioned at his panel that he'd just - as in in the last couple of days - received an email saying they were doing it. No further info at this time, so it's probably a long way off still (for the 20th anniversary in 2015, perhaps?), but I'm just so pleased it's happening. :D

5. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've said the same thing, and for the most part, I am sticking to my guns, but I think in the case of Star Wars and Star trek, I am making an exception. If DS9 turns out half as well as TNG did on Blu ray, and if Voyager gets similar treatment, I am hocking all my trek DVDs and upgrading to Blu Ray.

6. borgboy

I hate to re-buy again, but I've seen scans comparing the quality difference between the old dvds and the new blu rays, and I was sold. I do plan to hold out until they come out in complete series box sets. I can't wait to see all the Trek series in HD blu ray on my big screen!

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9 is still on the bubble if it'll be remastered or not. Unless I missed something, there definitely hasn't been any official news as to when or even if it'll be done. Though if they go to the trouble to remaster DS9, it's safe to say they'll probably do Voyager too.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I thought DS9 was possible because it had a fair amount of effects shots on film, limiting the amount of CGI that would have to be redone, whereas Voyager was pretty much all computer generated and therefore impossible to reuse ?

9. borgboy

If they can put TOS on blu ray surely Voyager can be on blu ray too?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If TNG blurays continue to sell, they'll HD-ify DS9. I presume that, should sales for DS9 warrant it, Voyager will eventually get the same treatment.

As for an animated Voyager movie, I've not heard a thing. However, there is the independent (fan-) movie Star Trek: Renegades coming up, which features many Voyager cast members (no Kate Mulgrew or Jeri Ryan, though) reprising their roles and is set 10 years after Voyager returned home.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfhWr9l1NI[/YT]

11. borgboy

Yes! I am part of the Renegades Kickstarter fund. Really looking forward to that.
    I figured the animated movie was just a crazy rumor, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask.

12. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want to see Seven Of Nine in 3-D!!! :adore:

13. teacake

I've never seen one of these 3D tvs though I know someone who has one, ridiculous price. AND he has to wear the glasses to watch it!

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not worth it. Watching movies in 3d just gives me a headache. But if that's your thing, give them another three to five years and they'll be norm priced.

15. teacake

No it certainly isn't my thing, it is a pain in the ass to put glasses over glasses. Plus if I had one I'd lose the glasses in like five minutes.

And I only watch tv on the computer.

16. Taylirious

I want the "being assimilated" experience. :alienblush: :borg:

17. teacake

You need to eat very healthy and hope against all odds that you live long enough for holodecks to make it possible.

18. Taylirious

I am sure the peeps at Google are on it!

19. teacake

Let us pray.

20. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

It was worth redoing the effects shots for TOS, expensive as it was.

Much less so with Voyager...