Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've heard a lot of arguments against TNG-era Trek, but this one takes the cake. Kira and Odo are unrealistic characters...and the implication here is the JJ era characters are more realistic by comparison. :wtf: Incredible.

2. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think he was saying the characters are unrealistic, just that the desire to see them again is. he should've said "they unrealistically want to see..."

of course, I could be misreading it.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I hate that fanwank crap that some fans want too (the Bring Back Kirk campaign makes me physically ill), but you don't need an alt universe to get away from that. Just don't hire any uber-fanboys for your writing staff.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I think dub is reading it right and is correct that it's hilariously absurd. (That whole post is like an exercise in NuTrek Nuttery Bingo, TBH.)

5. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I totally bought a character going from Cadet to Lieutenant to Captain in the blink of an eye :rolleyes:

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

One of the things I accept in NuTrek is I believe Kirk is into "classical" music like the Beastie Boys. I'll take that as cannon. :techman:

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, that was a nice touch. The idea that everybody in the future only watches Shakespeare and listens to Bach is silly and vaguely elitist. Glad to know that the future has not evolved beyond rock-and-roll! :)

8. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

As much as I really hate to admit it, as a lover both of rawk and of the Beasties, I don't believe they -- nor most of the popular music of our era -- are really destined to have the same cultural longevity as Bach or Shakespeare. Some of the high-cultural classics really are classics for a reason.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    WTF? Of the characters you listed, there is exactly one of them I like: Tom Paris. The others are either boring as hell or annoying as hell, or both.

I got into Star Trek in 1975, more than a decade before anyone had even the slimmest blip of a notion that there might be another live-action ST series on TV some day. So don't come with that "all Prime Universe fans want is Berman-era stuff." Some do. But definitely not all.

Back in the days of Shakespeare and Bach, those were the equivalent of the hot new TV show and the hot new musicians. And the last time I went to see a Shakespeare play or to listen to a symphony, there was a good cross-section of people in the audience - teenagers to elderly, and relatively few snootily-dressed "elites" were to be seen.

I put in a lot of years studying spinet organ - practicals and theory - and I had to learn a lot of Bach. Given all the many hours of my life I spent cramming Bach, Mozart, Brahms, and other composers' works into my memory, I like it when a Star Trek character shares my taste in music and plays.

10. Greg Cox

Wasn't meaning to diss Shakespeare or classical music, btw. Heck, we wouldn't have Star Trek if not for "The Tempest" (by way of Forbidden Planet). But one wouldn't want to think that the future is so cultured and enlightened that people only go in for highbrow fare.

That they're also into Dixon Hill, "Captain Proton," and the Beastie Boys makes it feel like the Federation isn't always oh-so-dignified and intellectual . . . and that Star Trek can actually let its hair down once in a while! :)

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The main reason they only listen to classical music and cite Shakespeare is that it was cheaper to do, isn't it? Same reason why Picard played Dixon Hill, and not Dixon Steele, and Paris played Captain Proton instead of Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon. Every time they did that, I cringed just as much as when I see a kid playing with Mega Bloks or Klix instead of LEGO.

Abramstrek is the first time they incorporated a roughly contemporary song, simply because they were willing to pay for the license.

12. CTGuyton

CTGuyton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Cochrane played Steppenwolf during the Phoenix launch in FC.

13. Greg Cox

Good point. And they thought that Sherlock Holmes was public-domain . . ..

14. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It should be noted that Shakespeare's work during his time was considered to be lowest-common denominator entertainment for the masses (even the title As You Like It hints at something akin to what would be considered pop culture today). It's only fairly recently where his work has been respected and elevated to the cultured status it enjoys today. It goes to show how really unpredictable future generations can be when it comes to analyzing the modern day scene of arts and entertainment.

15. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    True enough. Who knows, maybe 300 years from now, folk music will be what the elite society listen to, or filk music. :D

Or even bagpipe music? Just think, I could skip ahead to the future and find music I really like!

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I kept hoping someone like Malcolm from Enterprise would be caught listening to "I Hate You", the punk song from STIV.

17. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could see nuSpock listening to "I Hate You" eventually. He seems to be going down the path that leads to the dark side.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'll accept a darker NuSpock if he grows a goatee first.

Never mind, I just pictured an Emo Spock and didn't like what I saw.

19. Greg Cox

Well, we know that bagpipe renditions of "Amazing Grace" are sometimes part of Starfleet funerals . . . .

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Why did they play an earth funeral song, on bagpipes, at Spock's funeral? Was it what Spock would have wanted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.