What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

The Last Dogs: Dark Waters by Christopher Holt. It's #2 in a 4-book series, The Last Dogs.

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am listening to The Absolutely True diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, narrated by Sherman Alexie.

My current dead-tree book is Amarcord by Zoran Zivkovic. It is a collection of short stories with the common theme of memory. Previous short story collections by Zivkovic I have read had different themes (mist, books, music, time) ,

3. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

No, that's something different - but I think I want to read that! :D (Charlie is published by Ace.)

That pretty well sums it up - and while I couldn't put my finger on it earlier, the parallel to the Soviet Union's collapse may be exactly what made it so predictable for me.

They're way down the reading list, of course, but I picked up a couple more books yesterday (like I needed any more, but as I said to the clerk who was helping me look up publication dates, "I was in the mall for other reasons, but this bookstore is here, so I'm here"): The Fractal Prince by Hannu Ranajmiemi - I read his debut novel, The Quantum Thief, last year - and Off to Be the Wizard by Scott Meyer. I'd never heard of the book, or him, before, but when I read the back cover blurb:

I thought, I have to read this.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Yeah, I can't stop buying books, either. I was at B&N, looking for something for my Mother, when The Doctor and the Dinosaurs caught my eye. It looks great in and of itself, but I mainly got it because I'm afraid it may be too similar to something I'm writing. :rommie:

5. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

Started the 10th Anniversary edition of American Gods today...

6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Wounded and the Slain by David Goodis

7. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. This'll be book #36 for 2014, which has to be some sort of record for me.

I had my kindle down to only 6 unread books before going on another book-buying spree. It's up to 3 pages again. I think I'm also annoying my emergency!roomate by responding to everything he says with 'I just read a book about ___' and then telling him all about it.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

They're like tribbles! They multiply! I do it so often too! :lol: Worse yet is when I see Bargain priced hardcovers. They just keep piling up.

9. C. Cole-Chakotay

I don't know which breeds more - my books or my doll collection. :)

10. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, the bargain shelves at B&N are like an opium den for me. :rommie:

11. C. Cole-Chakotay

I read The One - Selection series by Kiera Cass yesterday. Now I need to finish up The Last Dogs, The Long Road.

12. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

Right now I'm reading both the castle by Kafka and Ulysses by James Joyce

13. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Having just finished The White War, concerning the Italian front of WW1, I'm debating my next read. That book was excellent if mildly depressing (seriously. twelve battles for the same river?), so I want something uplifting. I'm considering my favorite author, Isaac Asimov's, book on The Universe. Last published in 1980, my fear is that it is badly dated by this point. History doesn't change much, but science marches on at the quick-step.

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Just finished Star Trek Titan: Taking Wing.

And in the car, I'm on the last cd of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Last week, I read Elizabeth Warren's A Fighting Chance, then started on JFK in the Senate: Pathway to the Presidency. I finished that one last night, which apparently is the first book to focus on JFK's senatorial career.

I'll start reading Glenn Greenwald's No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State sometime in the next few days.

16. mari

mari Captain Captain

I've finished The Martian - would love a sequel/companion book about a real colonization attempt, or maybe I'll just write fanfic :lol: - I enjoyed it so much I miss the characters now that I'm done with it.

Having mastered feeding the kid with one hand while reading on my phone with the other, I'm now into the second book of Wool (had read the first previously, but re-read it quickly the last two days to refresh my memory). The yarncrafter in me loves that each book title has something to do with yarn. And generally I love a good dystopia, so I'm looking forward to making my way through the whole thing.

Next in the queue is Season of the Harvest, and then I may go back through this thread and see what else has been recommended that I want to read.

17. C. Cole-Chakotay

The Wool series is one of the best I've read.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Just finished A Long Line of Dead Men by Lawrence Block which was surprisingly excellent and I'm now reading This Town Will Never Let Us Go by Lawrence Miles.

19. C. Cole-Chakotay

Believe it or not, I picked up my copy of Voyager: The Eternal Tide and read some this morning. I've had it since it came out, read about half, and set it down. I sat and read three or four chapters.

20. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (not so keen on the ending) and on to Uncle Tungsten: Memories of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks