AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen Thor or Captain America but I thought the Avengers film was understandable on its own. The Thor references in the film seemed mostly self-explanatory.

2. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, one way to explain the convenient ending is to take a page from the comics. The great power source they called "the tesseract" was a version of the cosmic cube from the comics stories. The cube was not just an energy source; it was essentially a wish fulfillment device. If the person holding the cube realized what he had, he would have the power to remake all reality as he saw fit; he would be a true god.

How does that matter to this discussion? Well, the nuke that Tony rode through the rift was "phase 2" and infused with energy from the cube. The use of the energy to that point was simple; you put it in a gun and it fires with the force the user expects; you put it in a nuke and get the force you expect; etc. But Tony was probably wishing for something more as he hugged that nuke; he was wishing to save his friends and loved ones. The cube energy granted his wish.

Anyway, that's how I would explain it. It's consistent with the comics and what we saw with the cube in the movies (Red Skull wanted to be one with the universe and got his wish). Even the ending of Avengers fits the mold; Thor wished to go home and so he did. I imagine it is one of Odin's great secrets; he told everyone that the cube was just a great power source hoping that was all anyone would ever expect it to be.

On one last note, it's interesting to think of Captain America's shield here. The shield is made of material that absorbs energy, and it spent years absorbing cube energy from the Hydra weapons. Is Cap so formidable with the shield because the residual energy is granting his wish to be formidable with it? It would be a self reinforcing wish; each time the shield does what he wants, it leads him to expect it (and thus wish it so). Throws a new twist on the old stand-by of Cap's shield always coming back to him every time he throws it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  3. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ That's an interesting take, however my interpretation is a bit simpler. The Chitauri died because they were using life support for an alien enviroment (Earth) that was centrally powered. When they lost connection with the base they suffocated.

I'm not sure there has ever been a full explanation for how Vibranium actually works, but it's implied by the name; it vibrates. Like noise cancellation, the Vibranium returns incoming force, cancelling it. I've never gotten the impression it stores any form of energy.

4. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Chitarui ground forces all had electonic implants around their head and neck, the various Avengers pulled them out killing the trooper instantly in each case, when the mothership is nuked the implants on the rest spark and fry, either a serious interupt problem or a suicide protocol built in.

It seems much like the Borg, they troops used for combat are disposable, in the event of capture or failure they selfdestruct in some form.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It's hardly like watching The Two Jakes without having seen Chinatown...

6. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

Or, in my interpretation, a failsafe if Lok decides to betray Thanos by closing the portal to keep Earth & the Cube to himself.

Portal is closed, no signal for mothership, Chitauru are off.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That could very well be it too, it's not like they ever truely trusted Loki.

8. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think I'll just leave these here... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cool:

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Even the little cards, that is incredible work.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That has to be the most lifelike model I have ever seen!

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That could almost pass for a life-model decoy. :p

12. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Question:
    Every time I watch the beginning of the movie, I'm baffled. Is there more than one version of this?

I just watched it and it ends with Fury on the radio, and you can hear Coulson asking "What do we do?"

Cut to Title.

But I remember in the theater it only cutting to title AFTER Fury says "We get ready?"

Does anyone else notice this discrepancy?

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't really recall all that well, but I seem to remember "what do we do" as well. I remember thinking the appearance of the words "The Avengers" was an answer to that question.

So, if you saw a different version in theaters, I saw the version you have now.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I've read transcripts on line that also say that Fury responds "We get ready."

Strange

16. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

C+. Evans and Downey Jr. were better than before, Ruffalo was good (but not as much as Norton and the character felt pretty forced, particularly with Stark so intelligent) and the other characters were pretty underwhelming. It would have made more sense to bring War Machine also (though I know the filmmakers would be hesitant about heroes with similar powers; I kind of wish the superheroes' strengths were more different rather than them all being vaguely equally strong).

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Hawkeye and Black Widow are way weaker than the others.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh, I actually did that, and it wasn't confusing.

19. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True, I meant that Iron Man, Thor and Captain America seemed equally strong despite their powers coming from very different sources.

20. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hardly.
    Thor looked like he could squash Iron Man without too much trouble, if he was really into it. Cap didn't look like he would end up winning against him either.
    Now Cap vs IM that would be a more equal fight.