Simon and Schuster cuts 35 jobs

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jim Johnson, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish Marco, his family, and everyone else affected by this the best at S&S the best.

2. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah man, that really sucks. Poor Marco, and poor Trek lit.

3. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

You are 100% right, and my apologies for being so American-centric there. Not to take this off on a political tangent, but I guess I put a lot of the blame for the current sutiation on the direction our country has been headed in for many years, so that's why I was thinking of it in terms of the U.S. Again, my apologies to everyone here.

4. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

None of that has been decided just yet. Marco has said he will assist his former coworkers with the transition. As for Vanguard, Dayton Ward and I have picked up some of the slack by staying in direct contact with one another, coordinating our efforts, offering each other story notes, etc. We will certainly miss Marco's editorial guidance and vision, but we have to believe in ourselves and in our own familiarity with the nuts and bolts of the saga, and have faith that we can carry on.

The good news is that the "heavy lifting" on that project is mostly done. I had already received Marco's line edits and story notes, and I had already finished my rewrites. The book was passed for press and sent to copy editing before Marco was laid off, and on his last day he and I approved the final version of the cover.

There will likely still be some more tweaks and adjustments during copy editing, though I am not completely certain who will be assuming editorial responsibility for the book at this point, nor am I at liberty to speculate. But for now, the book is on schedule for its July 2009 release.

5. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ As always, thanks for the information, David.

Maybe we can get Terry Tate to have a little "one on one" time with the people responsible for the layoffs... :lol:

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

You have no need to apologise, Britain as well as the Eurozone of countries (the countries with in the EU who have the Euro as there currency) have played a pretty large role in the financial problems that are occurring, so even though it may be nice to lay the blame on others shoulders, in this case, it really isn't and it's all pretty much due to the way the developed worlds economies are so more intertwined than ever before.

7. Scott Pearson

Scott Pearson Writer Captain

I have a deep gratitude for the opportunities Marco has given me, and sure hope things play out in a way that I get to work with him on something, anything, in the future.

Here's to Marco landing on his feet!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  8. Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson Writer Premium Member

I'd been working on something to add to this thread, but Scott sums it up really well here. My writing career owes an awful lot to the guidance and opportunities I've received from Marco over the last few years, and it'd be fantastic if we're in a position to work together again in the future.

I'm confident Marco will hit the ground running wherever his next opportunity lies.

9. Amy Sisson

Me three.

10. Amy Sisson

I still made an appalling thoughtless remark (that people in this country are going to have a hard time of it), and I'm really embarrassed by that. But thanks for your understanding!

11. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Man this sucks. Marco Thanks for everything. Please keep in contact. I wish you the best.

12. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Unbelievable. :mad:

13. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well it looks like it is true, Marco's email at S&S bounced back at stated that he was no longer employed with them. This is a sad day.

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Me four.

15. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

I hate it when companies do that! It was probably turned off before he even knew what had happened. My company did that in January this year (I wasn't one of them luckily) but I heard stories of people who came in to work that day and their badge (to gain access to the building) didn't work! They had no idea what was wrong, then got blind-sided by HR. Big corporate business practices piss me off sometimes. :scream:

16. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

What a dreadful time of the year to be laid off from one's job. Not that there is ever a good time, but right before the holidays is just harsh. :(

Times are scary. More and more people that I know are unemployed. I hope that 2009 is better for everyone.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, this really sucks. I wish you the best of luck Marco. I've really enjoyed everything that Ive read that was edited by you. Especially, the DS9 Relaunch, Vanguard, and Titan, those three series are absolutely amazing IMO.
    At least we know that the books will still be in good hands with Margaret, and the other editors.

18. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I got the word I was being let go once on the day before Thanksgiving. And we'd just found out my wife was pregnant. The turkey didn't taste as good as usual that year...

Marco, if you're monitoring this, many, many thanks for all your good work with Trek lit. I'm confident that your talent will enable you to rise above this setback. My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and all those who got pink slips for the holidays.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really sorry to hear about Marco's loss of employment.

Way back when I first joined TrekBBS, Marco was the first user to say hi to me and welcome me aboard. :)

Marco's unique editorial touch really helped shape some of the best Trek novels ever published. He is, in all honestly, to my mind right up there with Ira Steven Behr, Ronald D. Moore, Michael Piller, Gene Coon, Manny Coto, and JJ Abrams as the sort of creator Trek needs and who produces great work.

Here's to hoping Marco lands on his feet -- and, perhaps selfishly, to hoping that Marco will someday rejoin the Trek line!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I completely and totally agree with you here. :techman: