Shore Leave

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by terpette, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Is the PB panel today (fri) or tomorrow (sat), though?

2. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

It's tonight, starting in about two hours...

3. Lonemagpie

Ah, that's about 2AM for me, so I'm going to bed

If they mention me, I guess I'll see it in the morning...

4. Andy Mangels

Andy Mangels Writer Red Shirt

Most of the book news (and many covers) are already posted at
    Code:
    http://trekweb.com/articles/2008/07/11/Covers-and-Info-for-Several-Upcoming-Star-Trek-Novels-Including-Star-Trek-Destiny-Star-Trek-Titan-and-Star-Trek-Mirror-Universe.shtml

5. DarkHorizon

I believe I shall be purchasing every single one of those!

Highlights (well, they're all magnificent, but...):

*Two DS9-R books
    *More Myriad Universes - Pocket must see that as a very strong line, considering #1 has barely begun appearing in bookstores
    *The Romulan War!
    *James Swallow!
    *Margaret Wander Bonanno!
    *That A Singular Destiny cover doesn't seem to bode well...

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oooo...lots of cool items!

I love the first two covers for Destiny as well as the cover to Keith's follow up, A Singular Destiny.

Some people (although not me :p) will be happy to note that the next New Frontier novel, Treason, will be a paperback.

I'm very intrigued by the Seven Deadly Sins anthology. Just from the title and the seven featured races (and associated sins) make me very excited about it!

Two more Deep Space Nine novels! One in August from Olivia Woods with (working title) The Soul Key (very mysterious!) and one in September from Una McCormack with The Never Ending Sacrifice, which has an emphasis on the Cardassians. I'm especially excited about the latter because I loved Una's The Lotus Flower. :D

Another Myriad Universes book in November 2009.

And so much more! :eek:

7. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

Wow, even just in terms of sheer volume there's the 12 regular books, 7 Trade Paperbacks (5 entirely new titles plus SCE and Mere Anarchy) and the Crucible hardback... lot of books!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

ohmygodohmygodohmygod!!!
    Wow, all of those things look amazing. I don't know what to be more excited about, a Saavik book, two DS9 books, more Titan, more Vanguard, or The Romulan War. Oh, and those have got to some of the best looking Trek covers I have ever seen.
    Edit: One more question, is Romulan War only written by Michael A. Martin?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  9. DarkHorizon

Ooh, I just realised something that isn't on the schedule so far - Trek XI novelisation, anyone...?

10. Deano2099

Deano2099 Commander Red Shirt

For ease of reading, 2009 tentative schedule:

JANUARY:

Star Trek: Errand Of Fury, Book 3: The Sacrifices Of War
    Kevin Ryan

Star Trek Mirror Universe: Shards And Shadows (trade)
    Christopher L Bennett; Margaret Wander Bonanno; Peter David; Keith R.A. DeCandido; Michael Jan Friedman; Jim Johnson; Rudy Josephs; David Mack; Dave Stern; James Swallow; Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore; Susan Wright

FEBRUARY:

Star Trek: A Singular Destiny
    Keith R.A. DeCandido

MARCH:

Star Trek Titan: Over A Torrent Sea
    Christopher L. Bennett

Star Trek: Mere Anarchy (trade)
    Mike W. Barr; Christopher L. Bennett; Margaret Wander Bonanno; Dave Galanter; Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore; Howard Weinstein

APRIL:

Star Trek: Voyager - Full Circle
    Kirsten Beyer

Star Trek: New Frontier - Treason (trade)
    Peter David

MAY:

Star Trek Vanguard: Open Secrets
    Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore

Star Trek Crucible (hardcover)
    David R. George III

JUNE:

Star Trek: Troublesome Minds
    Dave Galanter

JULY:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Losing The Peace
    William Leisner

AUGUST:

Deep Space Nine: The Soul Key (working title)
    Olivia Woods

Seven Deadly Sins (trade)
    Dayton Wad & Kevin Dilmore; James Swallow; Keith R.A. DeCandido; Jimmy Diggs; David McIntee; Marc Giller; Britta Dennison

SEPTEMBER:

Deep Space Nine: The Never Ending Sacrifice
    Una McCormack

OCTOBER:

Voyager (Title TBA)
    Kirsten Beyer

Enterprise: The Romulan War (trade!)
    Michael A. Martin

NOVEMBER:

Titan (Title TBA)
    James Swallow

Myriad Universes (Title TBA) (trade)
    TBA

DECEMBER:

Vanguard (Title TBA)
    David Mack

Corps Of Engineers: Out Of The Cocoon (trade)
    Kevin Killiany; Robert T. Jeschonek; William Leisner; Phaedra M. Weldon

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Wow.

Aside from the third Errand Of Fury (I missed Errand Of Vengeance and haven't gone back and gotten it all), I'm buying every book on that list. I'm not even kidding.

What an incredible schedule...

12. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Okay. Two Titan books, two Vanguard books, the Voyager relaunch-relaunch getting two books, A Singular Destiny looking intriguing, and a TNG-R novel?

Seriously, I'm getting just about every book in 2009. And the fun starts in just a couple of months (technically, now with Greater than the Sum). This line for the nex 18 months looks awesome.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Great looking list and some beautiful covers. Who said the ST franchise was dead?

Good timing on the re-release of "Crucible" - in hardcover omnibus - and it has new material in it? Cool!

14. aaon80

aaon80 Lieutenant Red Shirt

This schedule looks simply amazing! I am definitely excited about the books coming up in the next 18 months or so. The idea of TWO new Titan novels, a Robert April story, and plenty of DS9 is just fantastic!

15. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

Not one, but two new DS9-R novels next year! I'm over here giggling like a tweeny at a Hannah Montana concert right now!

16. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The schedule looks great and all of the covers that were shown look great too. I can't wait for most of the books to come out.
    So Dax is actually being promoted to Captain for real then. I thought she was going to be made into like an acting captain but thats good no matter what.
    Now we have a big 2 in a half year gap to fill, which makes you wonder did Vaughn get killed in the Mirror Universe or did he end up getting his own promotion?

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shore Leave rocks.

A lot of good news on this list; the schedule looks both diverse and looks to be moving the storylines forward. The covers are also nice-looking and stylistically diverse for the books I intend to purchase, although it is That Shot of Picard Again, and the VOY one looks a bit bland. I wonder if the devastated city shown on the unorthodox but highly effective Singular Destiny is the same floating city we see on the covers of the first two Destiny books, or a Federation city that has come under attack (presumably during the events of Destiny. And why the galaxy as a puzzle, with pieces missing? Intriguing. For Titan, is that everybody's favourite Pacifican navigator on the cover, au naturel? More support for the pelagic planet hypothesis, I wot.

Speaking of intriguing, Seven Deadly Sins is an unexpected but I think welcome surprise--and, damn, they finally scheduled that Pakled epic they've been teasing us for years now! I'm just surprised it wasn't Wardilmore who wrote it (assuming the authors are in order, since they're not arranged alphabetically... which also conveniently aligns Klingon-Boy with his native subject matter). Shame about the suggestive typo in Dayton's name. ;) Soul Key puts me in the mind of that Prophet-related trinket that got stole back in Fragments and Omens, which also leads me to hope well get development and possibly general conclusion to the Crisis of Infinite Kiras arc, which, due to scheduling, feels like it's dragged on too long now. But on the plus side, two (count 'em - two) DS9R novels next year is a soothing balm. And, ooh: Cardassian virtuoso Una McCormack writes Never Ending Sacrifice... the only downside is it probably won't be the epic itself (speaking of which, when are we going to see Burning Hearts of Qo'nos on the schedule? C'mon, if you can do the Pakleds...). And Myriad Universes is already getting a Volume III! I've not read the first two, obviously, but I still think that kicks ass, given the sheer scope and potential of the premise. Top it off with additional entries into VOY and TITAN from Kirsten and James, and you've got a promising year indeed.

But. (Yeah, you know me, I'm a but-man.) I am concerned that the next entries into the ongoing stories of New Frontier and Enterprise are listed as being trade paperbacks. Is this correct? If so, are the trades replacing hardcovers as the format for 'event' novels? Does that mean we'll get a mass-market reprint down the line, unlike we usually do for trades, since these stories are (presumably) part of ongoing arcs? Because, if not, I must say I am disappointed by the format change. Now, I've kissed and made up with trade paperbacks over the last few years but I still prefer mass markets for sheer portability. In particular, I've come to appreciate what trades offer that regular paperbacks do not: room for a lot more content. So unless these two trades have the equivalent of three books in them (and I recall that the Romulan War had previously been announced as a trilogy, so I see the possibility there), I'm going to feel stiffed. Where The Good That Men Do was a letdown, and unless Kobayashi Maru really wows me, I think I'm just going to leave this one on the shelf rather than bother with the troubles of a trade.

Since I don't want to end the post on a negative note when there's such good news, I want to say again that it looks like a heck of a literary harvest coming down the line (as long as Monsanto doesn't mess with the packaging!).

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

EDIT: It only just occured to me to ask (must be the late hour), but will the Klingon portion of the Star Trek Se7en be used as an opportunity to bring back some of our buddies from the Gorkon?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, with that cover, I'm really interested to hear more about A Singular Destiny.

And I would guess the trades won't be reprinted as mass markets, which I actually prefer, because I always bought the hardcovers anyway, and this way there won't be another copy of a book I already own taking a precious spot in the schedule the following year.

I'm also really excited to see Olivia Woods is also writing the next DS9-R. I loved her style, and thought it was a real shame that the content of Side A of Fearful Symmetry didn't allow much room for real plot movement. I have complete confidence that she'll wrap up the Kira/Iliana story beautifully.

19. Lonemagpie

AFAIk they must be in order, cos I line up up with the Ferengi one nicely also...!

20. Divine

Divine Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, that's a nice line-up. If only there was a Gorkon book though :(

I'm really interested in what Kirsten Beyer is going to do with Voyager. And after reading Day of the Vipers, I'm excited to read another James Swallow book!